Post-Game Talk: Pens 3 - Jets 0

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
wish we called a time out on one of the pp's to start the first unit
Why so they could make a stupid pass or half a a puck battle and lose possession?

This powerplay needs a transformational change. I fear they somehow think that they're getting good looks but it's just not going in.

Sure, they have had a bit of bad luck luck but they aren't generating nearly enough. They're way too casual on the pp. There's no urgency.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why so they could make a stupid pass or half a a puck battle and lose possession?

This powerplay needs a transformational change. I fear they somehow think that they're getting good looks but it's just not going in.

Sure, they have had a bit of bad luck luck but they aren't generating nearly enough. They're way too casual on the pp. There's no urgency.

Agreed, the top unit was ass as well.

Honestly I wouldn't be against bringing in a coach to fix it right now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jets haven't been bad this stretch, they weren't bad tonight, some rust and bad luck for sure but I don't think throwing a wrench in everything will yield anything positive. Beyond the first 15ish minutes of that game the Jets were the better team. Sucks that we have 2 goals in 4 games but you don't want to overcorrect.

Repeating myself, but I think Vilardi and Ehlers work a lot better than Vilardi and Connor.
Yeah there's a lot of mia players offensively rn.

Perfetti, Vilardi, Nino, Names, Morrissey.

Perfetti has no confidence right now - holding the stick tight, making poor passes. I'd like to see some mix and matching on the top 2 lines.

Connor is still generating and can't finish. Schiefele is simply leading this team rn. He creates all on his own.

I know they loathe to split those 2 up but flip Ehlers and Connor at the least.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One thing I saw out of Monahan tonight was that when we were on the powerplay and Pittsburgh got the puck in the defensive zone he was battling to get it back. I don't know why this team just gives up when the opposition gets the puck on the powerplay and lets them clear it. Even if you don't get it clean you still give the defending player less time to make a decision and that increases the chance they'll make a mistake.
THIS x 1000

They just don't try hard enough on the pp.

Does anyone think we'll score when we get a pp?

More often than not it saps us of any momentum we get.

Ffs id be open to rolling 4 lines at this point
A great game to have on while you do your nails.

I was folding my hockey laundry

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I was only able to watch parts of last night's game but I did see the Dillon hit. That was inexcusable and was a game-changer. (It will be interesting to see if he is hit with a fine and/or suspension.) At 0-3 and playing Bowness' style of hockey, there was no way that they were making a comeback. I don't even know what to say about the PP other than that in its current configuration, it isn't working. I will say, and this is not just on the PP, but the Jets seem to do a lot of passing off when a shot directed at the net would be better play. With the layoff and some rust, I'm giving them a "game of grace". Here's hoping that they come out flying on Thursday.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As I posted in the GDT, I remember Dallas fans telling us when Bones was hired that he tends to stifle offense in order to get defense. I'm wondering if this is what we're seeing right now.

With the playoffs coming up, coaches seem to fall into their old, comfortable habits. We saw that with PoMo during his time here. So perhaps the D over O is Bones' habit.

I'm bracing myself for more of this behaviour while Bones is head coach.
This is a player problem not a coaching problem.

The players played the system to a t in the first half. Bones system isn't offense adverse, it has to do with what the players do when we don't have the puck.

The system generates turnovers and stifles the other teams speed. Offensively, we're all in with the defense activated.

The Jets are cheating right now. They aren't on the right side of the puck, and they aren't attacking the puck carrier with the same urgency or support as before.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was only able to watch parts of last night's game but I did see the Dillon hit. That was inexcusable and was a game-changer. (It will be interesting to see if he is hit with a fine and/or suspension.) At 0-3 and playing Bowness' style of hockey, there was no way that they were making a comeback. I don't even know what to say about the PP other than that in its current configuration, it isn't working. I will say, and this is not just on the PP, but the Jets seem to do a lot of passing off when a shot directed at the net would be better play. With the layoff and some rust, I'm giving them a "game of grace". Here's hoping that they come out flying on Thursday.
That was an unfortunate play. It's happening fast with a lot of traffic, and Acciari was bending down. I'm sure Dillon was expecting a shoulder to shoulder hit.

Dillon isn't a dirty player, but when you're physical this is bound to happen.

However, I am totally in agreement with the match penalty. Much like a high stick, or an inadvertent knee, you have to be in control and responsible.

I don't think there is any intent to make head contact there, and Dillon didn't leave his feet and had never been suspended which is quite the feat for his play style and time in the league.

If DoPS was even slightly competent there will be no further punishment, but we know that's not the case, so we wait.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I feel like he stood up at the last second to avoid the hit and made it 100x worse.

Reactions: hn777

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Good comments Jet...

A good example of a team that doesn't quit on a powerplay or after any entry is Boston...

The game January 22nd was a great example for the Jets of a team, Boston, that is absolutely tenacious and on the puck after a turnover... moved the puck quickly after turnover... and were very direct towards the Jets net...

The Jets if not for Helle' could have lost 8-1 in that game against Boston...

Reactions: WolfHouse

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
That was an unfortunate play. It's happening fast with a lot of traffic, and Acciari was bending down. I'm sure Dillon was expecting a shoulder to shoulder hit.

Dillon isn't a dirty player, but when you're physical this is bound to happen.

However, I am totally in agreement with the match penalty. Much like a high stick, or an inadvertent knee, you have to be in control and responsible.

I don't think there is any intent to make head contact there, and Dillon didn't leave his feet and had never been suspended which is quite the feat for his play style and time in the league.

If DoPS was even slightly competent there will be no further punishment, but we know that's not the case, so we wait.
Ah, yes. The DoPS lead by that paragon of consistency George Parros. For a guy who has a 4 year degree in economics from Princeton of all places and who, "in 2010, ...was chosen as the fourth-smartest athlete in sports by the Sporting News." (from Wikipedia), one has to wonder..............

Reactions: Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The players played the system to a t in the first half. Bones system isn't offense adverse, it has to do with what the players do when we don't have the puck.

The system generates turnovers and stifles the other teams speed. Offensively, we're all in with the defense activated.

The Jets are cheating right now. They aren't on the right side of the puck, and they aren't attacking the puck carrier with the same urgency or support as before.

I think there is some truth to both of your arguments. We have indeed vered a bit from the high pressure scheme which is impacting our play. But there is truth to what @GeorgeJETson has said about Bones and offense. We have about 5 years of data on his schemes and it us definitely much more geared towards defense then offense. Even earlier in the year we were only generating chances at a low mid table rate. We were just scoring on a high proportion of what we generated. Lately we haven't been scoring on those chances which imo has lead to the team deviating a bit.

I was concerned our 5 on 5 finishing would regress, which is why Ive been harping on our special teams for a while now.

This group is being coached to win 2-1 or 3-2 low scoring games. When both your special teams are garbage it makes winning in that way very hard.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Agreed and they all seem to be looking pass first no matter what, nobody wants to shoot the puck. I still think this is a dry spell but they absolutely have to try something new on the PP because it hasn't been working all season.

Reactions: Jet

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I would like to thank all of you for your well wishes and kind words on the passing of my mother, it is really appreciated. After my father passed away, we did everything together. I took her shopping, to the doctor, all of her appointments, and even on holidays (mostly to Las Vegas). If I went out by myself, people would ask me, "Where's your Mom?" It will take time, but I have a lot of wonderful memories to always keep me smiling...
Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: macmaroon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
although the team defense has been fantastic this year, and really all pairings have been strong overall.... there are games, and last night may have been one where i think they really need another or better offensive catalyst from the back-end. Morrissey ofc is v good, Pionk has not really pushed offense this year & same w/ Schmidt. Not sure if this is a coaching thing or more of a Fwds mix or what.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Scheif as the power play QB has never worked - he's busting his ass this year but he still slows down the PP to look for the perfect pass

Schmidt/Pionk are not offensive Dmen and don't have great shots plus they don't shoot... but they are out there based on scouting reputation/past play. Get Samberg out on the PP so we have a simple straightforward shooter out there - right now we have two D that 'kind' of play forward on the power play but also don't...

Last night PP1 really only had Ehlers playing with urgency - Schmidt half-assed skating and then a drop pass at his own blue line only to half-skate and just stop in the neutral zone was pathetic.

Get a set up with a grinder in front and our Cs actually playing bumper then either Ehlers or Perfetti setting up the play

Barron
Perfetti-Monahan-KFC
Samberg

Nino
Ehlers-Scheif-Vilardi
Jomo

Bowness is a pretty loyal coach so I think he keeps pushing to work through this with Schmidt/Pionk etc though... and he likes to load up lines when things aren't working, so Jets need Monahan and Scheif to click soon.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Ah, yes. The DoPS lead by that paragon of consistency George Parros. For a guy who has a 4 year degree in economics from Princeton of all places and who, "in 2010, ...was chosen as the fourth-smartest athlete in sports by the Sporting News." (from Wikipedia), one has to wonder..............
Ivy League ain't what it used to be.

Reactions: Cypruss

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think there is some truth to both of your arguments. We have indeed vered a bit from the high pressure scheme which is impacting our play. But there is truth to what @GeorgeJETson has said about Bones and offense. We have about 5 years of data on his schemes and it us definitely much more geared towards defense then offense. Even earlier in the year we were only generating chances at a low mid table rate. We were just scoring on a high proportion of what we generated. Lately we haven't been scoring on those chances which imo has lead to the team deviating a bit.

I was concerned our 5 on 5 finishing would regress, which is why Ive been harping on our special teams for a while now.

This group is being coached to win 2-1 or 3-2 low scoring games. When both your special teams are garbage it makes winning in that way very hard.
That's fair. Bones definitely does not coach a high octane offensive scheme but he is not totally risk averse. He actually coaches it in a way where offensively pushing has a positive defensive impact.

I think playing for 2-1 and 3-2 games is exactly how you should play if you are trying to win a championship. We aren't a team that needs to outscore our liabilities any more.

It's fun to score buckets in the regular season, but you almost always see teams like that falter in the playoffs when opponents smother. We are already playing in that environment, which will set us up for success when the post season hits.

Obviously, the PP has to be better. You REALLY need to score on your chances on playoff PP's because they are more rare and 5v5 scoring is at a premium. The only slight silver lining is there are less PPs which will mitigate our special teams woes slightly.

The team still needs to find a way to at least be respectable on the PP going into the playoffs, because opponents will be free to take liberties with us if we can't punish them for it.

That's 3 games in a row that the Jets played most of the game with 5 D. It was a close game until the match penalty and ensuing Pens pp goals, any comeback was thwarted by Vilardi being off side
I don't really blame Gabe for the offside, as Scheifele did some serious waggling (he had to) for the zone entry.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This is the top 6 I'd like to see...
Perfetti Scheif Volare
KFC Money hands Ehlers

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I would like to thank all of you for your well wishes and kind words on the passing of my mother, it is really appreciated. After my father passed away, we did everything together. I took her shopping, to the doctor, all of her appointments, and even on holidays (mostly to Las Vegas). If I went out by myself, people would ask me, "Where's your Mom?" It will take time, but I have a lot of wonderful memories to always keep me smiling...
I'm so very sorry to hear this, @macmaroon. Hold on to those priceless and magical memories.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
*The big thing was it was time to put Big Stan back in."

Yep.

Pressure games, playoffs drawing closer, need that big, tall, often inept fella to fall onto opposing team's players. Bigness. That's the ticket.

I honestly don't care who plays where so long as someone locks Brad Lauer into a room with all the worst flavours of snack food and a whiteboard and a few hundred hours of the league's best PPs to examine for clues.

He'd only need a minute or so of the Jets PP as a comparable, since it is the identical completely ineffectual slowdance seam to KFC / whang it wide from the point nonsense they've trotted out for 2 years now.

But it's the faceoffs, I hear Bones cry, into the wilderness. The faceoffs.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad