Line Combos: Pens 2022-2023 Training Camp thread: Its happenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What would Donkey Kong know about hockey? He’s never even been in a hockey game.

Now if he wants to talk about baseball, I’ll head him out. He was a menace in Mario Super Sluggers.

I’m pretty sure this info is coming from his staff, Haase and Shirely, who have been covering the Pens for his organization….DK hasn’t even stepped foot inside the Pens practice facility all preseason lol…

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Here's the thing I don't understand. If the Penguins do intend on keeping Smith in WBS for a bit longer, why did they try literally no alternatives to Smith-Rutta in the pre-season? It's just incredibly bizarre that they used that pair so much all through training camp, only to send him down with the intent of keeping him down.

If you're giving POJ a look in the NHL, why didn't they ever try POJ-Rutta? Or if they're playing Ruhwedel there, why didn't they ever try Rutta or Ruhwedel on LD to make sure that worked? It's just odd.

This just seems like this team has a very clear preference of what they want to do, but they're just being stubborn about not wanting to lose POJ for nothing and are digging into that. It's not the end of the world, I just don't understand it.

you still have the rest of the regular season to move some guys around. imo the real season is still a long way off.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What would Donkey Kong know about hockey? He’s never even been in a hockey game.

Now if he wants to talk about baseball, I’ll head him out. He was a menace in Mario Super Sluggers.

I would give someone else's soul for a Super Mario ice hockey game.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How much does the game #1 3LD matter though?

I feel like we always overreact to roster/lines/personnel and an entirely different set up is the norm by the new year.

I think the big issue in my opinion is we are purposefully not icing the best roster possible to keep an asset the staff and management don’t seem particularly sold on. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I wonder if the claim of Zohorna spooked them a bit, I'd be curious if POJ were handled differently if Z cleared. Even if they don't particulary desire keeping POJ around it's more about not losing 2 players for nothing instead of 1.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder if the claim of Zohorna spooked them a bit, I'd be curious if POJ were handled differently if Z cleared. Even if they don't particulary desire keeping POJ around it's more about not losing 2 players for nothing instead of 1.

Who honestly cares? We have Friedman through waivers so we essentially are 8 defensemen deep in terms of depth of injuries hit.

Zohorna was waived by his new team. If they are scared of losing POJ for nothing it’s time to get over it. Sullivan isn’t going to play him. We’ve seen this story 99 times.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Who honestly cares? We have Friedman through waivers so we essentially are 8 defensemen deep in terms of depth of injuries hit.

Zohorna was waived by his new team. If they are scared of losing POJ for nothing it’s time to get over it. Sullivan isn’t going to play him. We’ve seen this story 99 times.

Oh I'm with you, just hypothesizing from an asset management point of view. They obviously don't have any plans for POJ at this point.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I know people are upset with it and some find it funny, but I'm already sick of the meme-ification of the Pens being the oldest team in the league.
Yeah, but the boards are called "Hockey's Future", so it's probably not too surprising that the oldest team gets mocked for it.

Though I'm not disagreeing that the mockery is getting old.

Almost as old as the team.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Long story about Sullivan by Yohe in The Athletic. Basically that Sullivan's demeanor and intelligence helped make him a perfect fit for this franchise.

Interesting quote from Rust, which should pretty much end any thought that they've ever tuned Sullivan out:
“I wouldn’t know much about other coaches to even make a comparison,” Rust said. “It’s just that, trust me, when Sully talks, we listen. He knows who needs a push. He knows who needs a pat on the back. I think all of that stuff makes a good coach. He just knows. Honestly, you kind of realize it the second you meet him, how smart he is, how much he trusts what he’s saying. He just knows.”

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Long story about Sullivan by Yohe in The Athletic. Basically that Sullivan's demeanor and intelligence helped make him a perfect fit for this franchise.

Interesting quote from Rust, which should pretty much end any thought that they've ever tuned Sullivan out:
“I wouldn’t know much about other coaches to even make a comparison,” Rust said. “It’s just that, trust me, when Sully talks, we listen. He knows who needs a push. He knows who needs a pat on the back. I think all of that stuff makes a good coach. He just knows. Honestly, you kind of realize it the second you meet him, how smart he is, how much he trusts what he’s saying. He just knows.”

The Tanger quotes are the most interesting to me - “You wouldn’t really want anyone else being your coach” - because his belief in Sully never came across as clear as Sid's or Genos'. But that's a real loud endorsement.

Reactions: Gurglesons

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Tanger quotes are the most interesting to me - “You wouldn’t really want anyone else being your coach” - because his belief in Sully never came across as clear as Sid's or Genos'. But that's a real loud endorsement.
So was the nugget that Kessel still respects Sullivan even after their somewhat messy split.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad