News Article: Penguins want Jet Fuel

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/penguins-want--jet-fuel-238204011.html

So this is interesting. As much as I'd hate to see any of these guys go, I think this is possibly a chance to vault ahead in the growth of our team.

Some big food-for-thought here. If Shero wants any of Wheeler, Kane, or Ladd, I think the price has to be Määtä plus pick(s). I'd love to see him on our blue line for a decade, though it does pain me to think about this team without Ladd or Kane. Even subtracting Wheeler turns my gut.

The next point down this possible future is this - if we have Määtä, Buff might be easier to live without next year, making a trade easier to stomach at the deadline or in the off-season. Could we get our top-3 winger back in that trade?

The best thing of all is, we're in a spot of great leverage here. For Pittsburgh the clock is ticking and they need to do something. They have their 4th line center playing wing on their first line, they are desperate. We don't have to do anything. Pittsburgh is a great organization, it would be fantastic if we could soak them here.

Thoughts?

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Pens looking for top 3 winger, Jets might have the piece they are after.

So this is interesting. As much as I'd hate to see any of these guys go, I think this is possibly a chance to vault ahead in the growth of our team.

Some big food-for-thought here. If Shero wants any of Wheeler, Kane, or Ladd, I think the price has to be Määtä plus pick(s). I'd love to see him on our blue line for a decade, though it does pain me to think about this team without Ladd or Kane. Even subtracting Wheeler turns my gut.

The next point down this possible future is this - if we have Määtä, Buff might be easier to live without next year, making a trade easier to stomach at the deadline or in the off-season. Could we get our top-3 winger back in that trade?

The best thing of all is, we're in a spot of great leverage here. For Pittsburgh the clock is ticking and they need to do something. They have their 4th line center playing wing on their first line, they are desperate. We don't have to do anything. Pittsburgh is a great organization, it would be fantastic if we could soak them here.

Thoughts?

This is very interesting. I think it's doubtful that we ship Ladd or Wheeler, and I'm not sure if Kane would be the right piece that Pittsburgh is looking for. Anything that makes dealing Byfuglien easier though for the sake of long term growth is okay with me

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't like them as a trading partner right now unless we can ship them Seto or Joker for someone like Despres. You need to get a whole bunch for one of those three players and we can get more from other teams.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Penguins really don't have the pieces to pry any of the three out of WPG IMO. Marta is nice but he's the only young piece that is aof the piller of a trade category.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I dont see us as good trading partners. I also don't see how trading away any of our wingers for more defense is considered an upgrade to this team.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The Penguins really don't have the pieces to pry any of the three out of WPG IMO. Marta is nice but he's the only young piece that is aof the piller of a trade category.

Yep, I don't see how we could possibly "win" a trade with pittsburgh that includes one of Kane ladd or wheels, they just don't have the assets.

of young players whose of theres would you want? maata? Bennet? what else?

there's just not much there.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
IF the Jets made a deal with one of those guys it would signify that they are not pleased with the current core and want to do some kind of rebuild here.

I don't believe that

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I'm not sure a trade signals failure of this core, I think it would be an acknowledgement that the future given the trade is brighter than the future given staying the course.

I'm glad I don't have to make this decision.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not seeing it. Well, I see the Pens interest in those three but I don't see what they're sending back to make it worth our while to part with any of those three players. Anyone on the Jets is available, IMO, for the right return. None are available for the wrong return.

Send 'em Setoguchi for their 1st.:sarcasm:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Not seeing it. Well, I see the Pens interest in those three but I don't see what they're sending back to make it worth our while to part with any of those three players. Anyone on the Jets is available, IMO, for the right return. None are available for the wrong return.

Send 'em Setoguchi for their 1st.:sarcasm:

Can you imagine if they went for that...

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Just don't trade Kane! KS is the future!!! IF you're going to trade someone, trade Wheeler as his stock wont be any higher than now. Ladd is needed for leadership, and idc what anyone says about Ladd and his kind of leadership, if we loose Ladd in the dressing room, there literally will be zero leadership left.

-----------
I'd love to see Kane on a Cup contending team though, with crosby and malkin.....omg!

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Lawless is hallucinating in technicolour. We need forwards. Why would we trade any of our top 6 unless they asked for a trade?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed, that Lawless is on glue. I think everyone in the league would want any of those three players. Kane has looked great lately and seems to be improving in other areas, this guy is a beast that does not come around very often, if we trade him we will regret it, unless we get a Seguin type in return.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think Lawless is hallucinating in technicolour. We need forwards. Why would we trade any of our top 6 unless they asked for a trade?

It is more then likely something he heard from another reporter and he just ran with it and he likes to stir **** up

OR

He is as some people say he is a shill for the team and they get him to "test" the market with a story because maybe they are considering it

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yeah I don't see a trade with Pitts either. Although Pittsburgh could use Setogucci, he has proven that he can score if paired with high quality players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would definitely see if they are interested in Seto. I wonder about trading Seto and Burmi for their 1st and one other decent prospect (LHD?). I can see a deal configured around those pieces from the Jets.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I would definitely see if they are interested in Seto. I wonder about trading Seto and Burmi for their 1st and one other decent prospect (LHD?). I can see a deal configured around those pieces from the Jets.

When is Burmi eligible to return to the NHL, is it this year once KHL is done? I thought he signed for two years or is year two an option year?
Id rather package Burmi up with Buff for players.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Ah yes the hfboards winnipeg "we need forwards" meme. Even though for the past three years we're average or above average in shots for and goals for, and below average for shots against and goals against. Look at our roster and organizational depth. We're using 3 top 4 RHD on 3 different pairings because none of them are comfortable on the left side. We also have exactly ONE top 4 LHD. Clitsome is a #5 or even a #6 at times. Stuart, Ellerby and Pardy are all plugs that shift around the waiver wire and at free agency. Morrissey is our only decent LHD in the system. If he's more of a long term prospect, Enstrom could be gone by the time he's ready. Even if we pick up a decent LHD in free agency he's likely a 1 or 2 year bandaid.

What is our greatest trade bait right now? Most if not all would say Byfuglien, and to a shorter extent Jokinen and Setoguchi. The latter two likely are to get picks only, and maybe a b grade prospect. Buff is good trade bait, but how often do you trade D for D? He'll likely return two forwards maybe as part of a larger package. Think B Schenn + Simmonds.

If we're able to fleece Shero now with either Ladd or Wheeler, we could very much set this franchise up for the long term future. This trade also does not happen in a vacuum, Chevy would need to know what to do with Setoguchi and Jokinen, and would need to know what kind of return Buff would get.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Selling himself and newspapers one sensationalistic story at a time!!

Too bad about your Steelers getting that bad break Gary I guess its Karma for Tomlin making tackles on the field?

:naughty::p:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Any team that has "stone hands Thorburn" playing above the 4th line needs forwards desperately.

arby is that you?

That's a coaches decision. He could've put O'Dell or Tangradi up there - both better options - but chooses not to.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
arby is that you?

That's a coaches decision. He could've put O'Dell or Tangradi up there - both better options - but chooses not to.

O'Dell has struggled along the boards, from what I've seen in the couple of games he's played. I don't think he's a good fit on the wing in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
O'Dell has struggled along the boards, from what I've seen in the couple of games he's played. I don't think he's a good fit on the wing in the NHL.

Taking a few hooking penalties 200 feet from your net will also put an AHL call-up on the bench or in the press-box pretty quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad