GDT: Penguins visit Ducks 7:30PM Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Our whole defense looked like they belonged in the AHL tonight. What an embarrassing follow up to such a dominant win. Although in fairness they're missing their best forward and defenseman against one the leagues best teams.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We had to understood after the Kings win that they were trash more than we were really good.

I didn`t saw the Penguins game but it looks like SOG were fairly equal. Were Pens just dominating?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yup.

Get Lindholm, Getzlaf, and Ritchie out there and that is a different game. Might still lose but it'd be way more competitive.

Forward depth is pretty bad. Murray needs to address that by the TDL. I really wonder at what point do we move Larsson/Montour for a high end forward prospect? A move like that has to be coming at some point I feel like

With the LTIR implications will we even be able to add anyone at the trade deadline? I don't think we can without adding salary back, I remember the Flyers had issues a few years ago with this.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We had to understood after the Kings win that they were trash more than we were really good.

I didn`t saw the Penguins game but it looks like SOG were fairly equal. Were Pens just dominating?

I thought we had the better of the play in the first, the Pens dominated the second and then put the game out of reach early in the third. They were also really quick to take advantage of any mistakes made by our blueline. I didn't think any of our D had a strong game from a defensive standpoint and in some cases (Bieksa) they were simply terrible.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If we can spend and we are actually in a race close to the deadline and if Gibby is healthy, then Bernier could be moved for a cheaper backup and we could use his cap hit.

We are paying him only 2M this year which is a good price for him imo, but he takes 4M cap hit. It would potentially hurt us tho. So who knows, have to wait and see but we have only so many options...

We can let Cogs or Silfverberg go :help:

But first we have to see where this team stands anyway. We need Hampus back and keep working hard. I think closer to NY we should definitely have at least an idea of what could happen.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I thought we had the better of the play in the first, the Pens dominated the second and then put the game out of reach early in the third. They were also really quick to take advantage of any mistakes made by our blueline. I didn't think any of our D had a strong game from a defensive standpoint and in some cases (Bieksa) they were simply terrible.

Thanks. Good to hear actually, as we were without our #1C our middle 6 winger (although he plays on top line) and our top pairing (at this point before he shows he`s better than Fowler this year) Defenseman. In the meantime Pens got their #1D back and are basically in full force IIRC.

Pitt is a team that make defensemen pay for mistakes so maybe we were realy exposed.
As I understood Stoner had a somewhat solid game? Linholm coming in means Stoner or Theo will sit tho. But I see both Theo and Bieksa -3, ouch

Tonight Pens play the Kings IIRC so will be interesting how that goes.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
On another site that starts with letter ''R'' and also looks simlar to word ''edit'' one poster claimed he ran into Ritchie in an elevator after the game and Ritchie said he felt good. So hope that Ritch Boi will be back in the lineup in the next game hopefully

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
This collapsing defense crap doesnt work on good teams

I think this sums it up best. The "defend" mode against Pitt is a death sentence. I would have been happier with a crash and bang model. Instead of the "back out of the zone" whenever Pitt touched the puck. Especially with the team that was put out there.

I still half blame the NHL schedulers for this.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Center Ice Preview ended so I didn't get to see last night. I was going to call and renew it last night, but I figured it was pointless with the lineup we had, who we were playing, and 2nd night of a back to back. Was planning on catching up with some sleep, but that didn't happen (long ass world series game).

Anyway, can someone give their thoughts on how the team played? Or is it just a simple: "they were all ****"?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think this sums it up best. The "defend" mode against Pitt is a death sentence. I would have been happier with a crash and bang model. Instead of the "back out of the zone" whenever Pitt touched the puck. Especially with the team that was put out there.

I still half blame the NHL schedulers for this.
We have one of the easiest schedules in the league this year (or at least above average). Certainly not one of the worst.
I was surprised to see the shot differential more or less equal with Pitt. :huh: We were outshot badly in Pitt

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Wow, were we watching the same game? I thought the ducks actually played very well considering we were missing 2/3 of 1st line and lindholm and 2nd game in 2 nights.

Pens were very opportunistic in the first half of the game when we had our legs. In the 2nd they got a couple of long cycle shifts against us and you could see our energy level drop for a long time after that.

The third goal was the real back breaker.

However, the Ducks didn't back off and made some mistakes/bad decisions, but the effort was there, they were simply just outclassed.

Pens are just so damn good 5 on 5, they backcheck/skate like a mofo. We looked very good on the PP and very bad when we made turnovers at our blue line.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wow, were we watching the same game? I thought the ducks actually played very well considering we were missing 2/3 of 1st line and lindholm and 2nd game in 2 nights.

Pens were very opportunistic in the first half of the game when we had our legs. In the 2nd they got a couple of long cycle shifts against us and you could see our energy level drop for a long time after that.

The third goal was the real back breaker.

However, the Ducks didn't back off and made some mistakes/bad decisions, but the effort was there, they were simply just outclassed.

Pens are just so damn good 5 on 5, they backcheck/skate like a mofo. We looked very good on the PP and very bad when we made turnovers at our blue line.

This is actually a bit encouraging to read.

But in the second period we allowed 21 shots on our goal damn.
Also it seemed that Sid and Malkin got less Ice time than they usually would so I wonder how big role that played here.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They were good in the first period and got burned in two bad plays. They put up a good fight in the second but got hemmed in on a couple shifts and never recovered. The AHL guys looked like AHL guys. We were never dangerous on 5v5 - Pittsburgh just collapsed and clogged everything up (making the thread comment about collapsing D only working against bad teams rather amusing). Gibson was substandard and clearly tired, and took several big hits. Fowler and Manson were decent, Stoner was decent Stoner (and absolutely crushed someone on an open ice hit in the 2nd, pretty sure it was Hagelin), Bieksa was horrible, and Vatanen looks like he needs a game in the pressbox.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Papaspud had a guy at work arguing how the Pens were always good. Didn't have a response for how they got Crosby & Malkin if they were always so good.

Just mention "Dick Tarnstrom" to him. If he doesn't immediately go into convulsions then he is a "new" Pens fan, and pay him no mind.

To those non-Pens fans, Dick Tarnstrom was an AHL quality defenseman circa 2003 that happened to lead the Pens in scoring with something like 50 points. His name has become synonymous with the suck that was the early 2000's.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Just mention "Dick Tarnstrom" to him. If he doesn't immediately go into convulsions then he is a "new" Pens fan, and pay him no mind.

To those non-Pens fans, Dick Tarnstrom was an AHL quality defenseman circa 2003 that happened to lead the Pens in scoring with something like 50 points. His name has become synonymous with the suck that was the early 2000's.

I lived in the 'burgh during that span of time. College students could get tickets to unsold seats for 20 bucks on gameday. There were a lot of unsold seats. For no reason in particular, the one name that always reminds me of that early 2000s futility is Rico Fata. Plenty of others to choose from though. Coincidentally, I was in the igloo once during a game when there was an extended stoppage because the building lost power. That place was really falling apart towards the end. Not quite Nassau Coliseum level, but certainly not in mint condition. They also had this terrible arena band at one point to try to drum up enthusiasm too, which felt as awkward and forced as it sounds. They were trying everything there for a while, hoping to figure out some way to make the fan experience better for those sparse crowds. They even tried throwing Ziggy Palffy at the problem.

Pittsburgh nearly lost that franchise because the team sucked, the fair weather fans weren't showing up, and the building was outdated.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pittsburgh nearly lost that franchise because the team sucked, the fair weather fans weren't showing up, and the building was outdated.

Cmon now, if you lived in the city back then, you know them almost losing the team had nothing to do with the fans.

Mellon was being filled every night in the mid 90s and they were still bleeding money thanks to Baldwin and his bridge loan deal with SMG to buy the team. It was an idiotic deal that choked off all revenue sources that all went directly to SMG and not the org.

Baldwin also passed on plan B that saw the Steelers and Pirates get new stadiums, because he didn't have the minimal funds needed to kick in for a new arena.

So you sat in an old barn that was falling apart because of Baldwin's stupidity, and the team went into bankruptcy over his colossal bad business decisions.

It always been a myth that the fans were the reason for the bankruptcy, but it is easier to spew that out rather than doing actual research I suppose

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Wow. Jim Fox just said a lot of people in the hockey world are saying the hit was Ritchie's fault for putting himself in that position and that Gilbert was just going for a 50/50 puck.

Ass.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Wow. Jim Fox just said a lot of people in the hockey world are saying the hit was Ritchie's fault for putting himself in that position and that Gilbert was just going for a 50/50 puck.

Ass.

That is a ****** bag thing to say. Wow.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
10425434_10152963932638743_7096207354350541853_n_zpsp3ucgp0p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad