Penguins Training Camp Thread

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
You know very little about prospect development based on these thoughts. The two players aren't even remotely the same type of player so comparing them is silly. The Malkin line doesn't really NEED a Bennett. They could use a big body that forechecks, crashes the net, and digs pucks out to Geno and Neal. That is Tangradi's role and if he plays to his potential, he fits that line perfectly. I personally see Bennett as more of a need on the Sid line.

I had Bennett on Crosby's line. I liked Kunitz with Malkin and Neal. However, it makes sense that he spends a little bit more time down in WBS to further develop his game. What is the rush? Granted I liken his offence a lot more than Tangradi. I just don't see him as a top-six guy in the NHL. He's 25 this year.... so it's either put up or shut up time for him.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
You know very little about prospect development based on these thoughts. The two players aren't even remotely the same type of player so comparing them is silly. The Malkin line doesn't really NEED a Bennett. They could use a big body that forechecks, crashes the net, and digs pucks out to Geno and Neal. That is Tangradi's role and if he plays to his potential, he fits that line perfectly. I personally see Bennett as more of a need on the Sid line.

Yes this!
In the past we always wanted a Sniper for Crosby but I really think a playmaker who can draw attention at times would be perfect.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Stop with the trading TK thing (not against you just in general). He's a great third line player and Bennett is a prospect that has looked good in 30 AHL games. Now is not the time to be trading away proven NHL vets that can produce offensively for unproven prospects.

This is the first time I personally have said it, and I'm not actually in favor of it, but I guess what I am saying is: Tangradi has played well enough to get a shot on the 2nd line to start the season. If you really want to have BB up in the NHL, I don't think it should be at the expense of Tangradi, I think it should be at the expense of a bottom-6 player.

Kennedy was just a player I threw out there, and while he's fine on the 3rd line, are you suggesting that Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis wouldn't be at least as effective?

I like this as well but my thoughts are more for next season, maybe late in the season if theres a winger injury. Even if it pushes TK or Cooke to the fourth line for teh playoffs that would just further improve the depth.

I actually agree, my post was more in response to the notion that BB HAD to be on the team right now, if he is, I don't think it should be at the expect of Tangradi, that's all.

Dupuis just works so well with Sid and Koon, DB doesn't want to break that up I guess and there is no point having Bennett play bottom 6

And Kennedy helps us balance that 3rd line big time

I don't think that's a good enough reason to not try to put more skill on Sid's line. This isn't a knock on Dupuis, he does fine there, but if there's a real offensive upgrade (which BB likely is), I don't think the team should be afraid to pull that trigger. Dupuis can still move up and down the lineup as needed, can be an effective bottom-6 player, and can actually help balance out the bottom-6 in much the same way as Kennedy - who, by the way, was just a name I threw out there, not a hard-and-fast HE MUST BE TRADED name, just a hypothetical.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is the first time I personally have said it, and I'm not actually in favor of it, but I guess what I am saying is: Tangradi has played well enough to get a shot on the 2nd line to start the season. If you really want to have BB up in the NHL, I don't think it should be at the expense of Tangradi, I think it should be at the expense of a bottom-6 player.

Kennedy was just a player I threw out there, and while he's fine on the 3rd line, are you suggesting that Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis wouldn't be at least as effective?

Gotcha. I don't think Bennett should be on the team right now so that was where my post was coming from. I do think Duper would be as effective as Kennedy on that line and that should be the long term plan (next few seasons) as I think Kennedy may price himself out of Pittsburgh for his role.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I had Bennett on Crosby's line. I liked Kunitz with Malkin and Neal. However, it makes sense that he spends a little bit more time down in WBS to further develop his game. What is the rush? Granted I liken his offence a lot more than Tangradi. I just don't see him as a top-six guy in the NHL. He's 25 this year.... so it's either put up or shut up time for him.

He is 23, about to be 24 soon, so I'm not sure how we skipped a full year of his development somehow.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
We are now down to 23 players.

Who am I missing?

1 Crosby
2 Dupuis
3 Tangradi
4 Malkin
5 Neal
6 Kunitz
7 Sutter
8 Cooke
9 Kennedy
10 Vitale
11 Adams
12 Glass
13 Jeffrey

14 Letang
15 Despres
16 Orpik
17 Niskanen
18 Engelland
19 Lovejoy
20 Bortuzzo

21 Fleury
22 Vokoun

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
So people don't want to lose Strait for nothing but wanted Bennett to make the team?

That means we'd be exposing players to waivers to make room for him :huh:

I understand we are all rooting for this kid, but spending the rest of year in WBS is the best for him and we know that.

Everybody had an idea he'd be cut, unless you're naive. You could even tell in his interviews during camp that he had an idea that because he's eligible to move between rosters that he'd most likely be going back to WBS. It's just a numbers game and the trade market is probably thin, or the value isn't there for players that could/would be exposed to waivers.

I think he deserves a spot based on his play, but realistically wasn't expecting him to stay.

We'll see him soon enough.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So people don't want to lose Strait for nothing but wanted Bennett to make the team?

That means we'd be exposing players to waivers to make room for him :huh:

I understand we are all rooting for this kid, but spending the rest of year in WBS is the best for him and we know that.

Everybody had an idea he'd be cut, unless you're naive. You could even tell in his interviews during camp that he had an idea that because he's eligible to move between rosters that he'd most likely be going back to WBS. It's just a numbers game and the trade market is probably thin, or the value isn't there for players that could/would be exposed to waivers.

I think he deserves a spot based on his play, but realistically wasn't expecting him to stay.

We'll see him soon enough.

I endorse this post.

Beaudangles19

Dec 10, 2012
USA
i hope tangradi does bad the first few games and the pens bring up bennett......
and i hope bennett plays really really good in WBS.....

Beaudangles19

Dec 10, 2012
USA
Yes, his size, speed and age still makes him a promising young prospect, and to wish horribly upon him is pathetic to say the least.
ya your right i shouldnt have hoped he would do bad...i just like bennett more..
idk maybe he'll have a break out year.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I like Bennett as much as the next guy, but he needs time to develop his game at the AHL level, just like most young kids.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i mean i hope he does good i just really wanted to see bennett play with malkin..
maybe he will have a break out year. you never know.

I don't like this notion that it should be between Tangradi and Bennett for the final spot - I think both are top-6 skilled, and we should be looking to include both at some point - and I think Bennett should be with Sid, not Geno. Neal is enough of a sniper, give Sid someone who can pot his gimmies.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
BB will get his chance eventually, no sense rushing it or bemoaning the demotion.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
ya your right i shouldnt have hoped he would do bad...i just like bennett more..
idk maybe he'll have a break out year.

The Pens have a guy in their top six right now who was waived twice, then picked up by the original team that waived him and he finally figured things out at 26 or 27 years old. The second team that waived him.. The Thrashers. Yep.

Patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad