Proposal: Penguins offseason (CGY)

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Do they have room ??? There is a deal to be made between the flames and pens....

Murray and Simon

For Bennett and a signed brodie

Flames get a capable younger goalie and a serviceable forward who can play in multiple roles.

Pens get a d man to replace Shultz and fill a need with Bennett.

Pens may to need to add slightly as murray value has take a hit .

Why would Pittsburgh do that? Bennett is garbage and Brodie ... lol. Murray's value has taken a hit? Brodie and his 19 points was awesome. His stock has taken a massive hit. Pittsburgh is sending the best player in the deal and Simon is better than Bennett (12 points, not goals in 52 games). Bennett is trash.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
And Murray was "strong" this season with .899 sv percentage. Um ok.

And Sam Bennett/TJ Brodie were strong? Fact is this, Calgary has had a loser mentality in net. He is a winner ... All I know Murray has two Cups, something Philly fan today knows nothing about.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
And Sam Bennett/TJ Brodie were strong? Fact is this, Calgary has had a loser mentality in net. He is a winner ... All I know Murray has two Cups, something Philly fan today knows nothing about.
So .899sv is a winner, got it.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
This is your Matt Murray update. He stunk in 19-20. He has not been the same goalie since getting swept in playoffs in 2019. He would not be the first goalie to bounce back from bad year but he still had a bad year. The market could have more goalies with ED looming so Pens will not get 240 cents on Dollar in original Hanifin trade offer. It is not close. Whoever signs you are probably going to have to give a raise and a NMC for first 2 years to avoid ED. Rittich is free agent in 2021(was unaware) so you lose him in FA market and get nothing.

Is the risk Calgary taking worth their 1? Good discussion. Is it worth losing a 23 year old 2nd pair defenseman you have room to keep in ED. Not in this galaxy.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You know what? I’m going to trust the Flyers fan on this one. I doubt there is a group of people with more expertise in mediocre goaltending.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Why would Pittsburgh do that? Bennett is garbage and Brodie ... lol. Murray's value has taken a hit? Brodie and his 19 points was awesome. His stock has taken a massive hit. Pittsburgh is sending the best player in the deal and Simon is better than Bennett (12 points, not goals in 52 games). Bennett is trash.
Wow what murray have you seen..the one who lost his starting job ??? He value is at an all time low... he will be moved before the expansion draft. Bennett would bring some missing grit and physical play. He would not be acquired for his point totals.
Brodie can play either side and a capable replacement for Shultz who is leaving. Murray may have been the best player at one time but that is debatable now. Simon lost is spot when zucker was acquired. Playing on 4th line at the end. A third line of McCann tanev and bennett would be a force to play against.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Your facts are incorrect...murray would be an upgrade for the flames that's why they make this deal... he has won but is not the goalie he was once..Jarry is the new guy in Pitts. Brodie was ok when all the injuries hit. He can play either side but looks like the odd man out. He would fill in nicely in Pittsburgh. The other 2 equal out... simon is more complete but list his job.. Bennett brings what pitt needs especially in playoffs.. very even deal. Of course brodie would need to signed reasonably

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Read above ... sign and trade or a deal worked with pens before ...
Why would Pens sign and trade when they can sign on own and lose zero assets? Pure silly.

Last year free agent rights being traded was worth a 5th in Kevin Hayes trade. Bennett and 5 is too low on Murray.

Also if this happened in fantasy land then the Pens lose one of Brodie, Dumoulin or Pettersson in ED.

But other than that....

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
There would be ans is a big market for murray. Lots of teams would like to have a younger proven starter and cup goalie... some teams that fine to mind are the oilers , Ottawa, and sharks... he will ferry a nice return. Bjugstad hasnt played enough to improve his value or become negative value... he would fetch a low pick with no asset needed. Lots of teams need a 3/4 c. Pitt may need to retain slightly at best

Name one single team who would pay a 6th round pick for Bjugstad at 2.05M (50% retention) go ahead ill wait... Edmonton has to spend cash on forwards, ottawa? Why would they want a goalie older than their core? They need a young young goalie PROSPECT to fit their core so someone under 23 IMO maybe 25 at the max, Sharks with their aging core? I think they'll be focusing a stop gap that won't cost them much in cap, the CAP isn't moving up, that means anyone who has a high cap hit (4M for a 3rd/4th line plug, or a young ish goalie who had a 2.87 GAA and a .900 save percentage at 3.75M looking for a raise who pretty much played a backup role) isnt going to fetch you much, i wouldn't trade Hanifin for Murray with a 5 year contract, i wouldn't trade any dman with a contract going into next season for Murray, I'd take Jarry for Lucic since you're trying to rob us of Hanifin, Jarry is the only interest for the Flames, and no hes not getting you Hanifin.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Why would Calgary do that? Murray makes no sense here, keep him, Brodie has been playing top 4 for what 6 straight seasons? And he's "... lol" that's Murray he's a "LMFAO" like get outta here, we want Jarry if we're trading with Pittsburgh, that's the only player on your roster that is interesting to us. Well realistically

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
“‘I was made aware of (the report) when I came off the ice (Sunday),’ Johnson told PHN. ‘No, it’s not true. (The report) is unfortunate…Mr. Rutherford never went to my agent or came to me.’”

‘Not True,’ Johnson Pushes Back on Penguins Trade Rumors
Cause penguins declined pal !!!! What domt you understand??? They didnt approach JJ with the offer cause they withdrew.. at the time the pens were getting hit hard by injuries on the back end ...his value has gone up since then with decent play .

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Cause penguins declined pal !!!! What domt you understand??? They didnt approach JJ with the offer cause they withdrew.. at the time the pens were getting hit hard by injuries on the back end ...his value has gone up since then with decent play .

This is a total rumor that you are spewing as truth. No one knows if there was an actual trade in progress. If there was , no one knows the details (retention or sweetener). You act as if this is truth yet you have zero evidence.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is a total rumor that you are spewing as truth. No one knows if there was an actual trade in progress. If there was , no one knows the details (retention or sweetener). You act as if this is truth yet you have zero evidence.
For one we know eric G has shipped for positive value. There were reports within the pens organization about the deal. While it's been a while I do recall hearing it ( albeit a third party) it was with Detroit and for a low pick with NO retention. And that was when his value was at the lowest. The point is JJ could be traded for positive value now . Maybe not much but positive value. His play was much better this year and not even sure pitt would shop him now with Shultz set to leave.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
How is Murray an upgrade on Rittich? The value of goalies who crap the bed after 3 up and down seasons is virtually zero. It's certainly not a top 4 d-man on a beauty contract.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
For one we know eric G has shipped for positive value. There were reports within the pens organization about the deal. While it's been a while I do recall hearing it ( albeit a third party) it was with Detroit and for a low pick with NO retention. And that was when his value was at the lowest. The point is JJ could be traded for positive value now . Maybe not much but positive value. His play was much better this year and not even sure pitt would shop him now with Shultz set to leave.

Again, all heresay and speculation with zero evidence. If Pitts could have traded JJ they would have. JJ still has negative value.

Reactions: TS Quint

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Again, all heresay and speculation with zero evidence. If Pitts could have traded JJ they would have. JJ still has negative value.
Completely inaccurate. They didnt trade him cause they had no d men left...then he starting playing better....now there is almsot no point..
He plays up and down fills in where he can and has had a better season.. they could flip him for a late round pick again ....or something of some interest. He would not require sending an asset with... pens are currently not trying to trade him ..

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

You pick Detroit out of all teams? With no retention? For a low pick? Isn't Detroit really high in cap? Why would they even think about going after a declining veteran player? They have 6 of them already, they were in the bottom of the standings for most if not all of the season(well the time they weren't, everyone knew they were getting lucky) like come on at least make some sense, sounding like Ekblund here lol yes i know i said his name wrong and its on purpose, show the proof of the trade offer, if the GM doesn't even ask his players about a possible trade before it happens, then he obviously has no respect or dignity for his team. There's literally the one link i can find and its been shared above^^^ if you can't provide some type of proof about it, it's obvious BS coming out of your mouth, if anything it was a 6th from a team for JJ + 2nd(if the no retention is true)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Rittich’s best season is amongst Murray’s worst

Murray's worst two seasons are 2.92 GAA and .907 Save% and 2.87 GAA and .899 Save%

Rittich's best is 2.61 GAA with a .911 Save%
That means his best season is better than Murray's two worst seasons, also what team does Murray play behind while Rittich plays behind a worse team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad