dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If that’s the case what is Malkin looking for? Maybe the dollars were bad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that’s the case what is Malkin looking for? Maybe the dollars were bad

Seravalli said the Penguins are hoping he comes in at a similar AAV to Letang, so it was probably around 4 years at $6 million a year. This is allegedly what Malkin is willing to sign for according to Rob Rossi, so I don't see what the holdup would be if the Penguins matched that.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Seravalli said the Penguins are hoping he comes in at a similar AAV to Letang, so it was probably around 4 years at $6 million a year. This is allegedly what Malkin is willing to sign for according to Rob Rossi, so I don't see what the holdup would be if the Penguins matched that.
That’s not a bad contract. Term is a concern but when he’s been a Pen that long it’s hard to say no especially at those dollars.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
4yrs x 6m is good for both.

I'm a bit surprised that Malkin's camp is the one pushing for the term on the deal over a shorter deal high cap number. There's was rumours for years leading up to this point that he'd end his career in Russia, no? At his age, recent injury history and adding a 4 year pact makes that seem unlikely.

Either way I'm pretty sure they get this done. Can't picture Malkin in a different jersey and you'd think Crosby is behind the scenes saying he expects the organization to finalise this.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I don’t understand these negotiation tactics. Little nuggets of info dropped here and there. Just f’in sign him or not.

If 4x6 is the real offer, Malkin is a loser for not taking it

Reactions: hn777

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
4×6 is a good deal. Pens would be dumb not to take that.
Honestly, I'd offer him 5.2 X 5 years. An extra year and an extra 2 million, frontloaded so he can walk away at 39 if he wants. They're already stretching out Letang's years like taffy to lower the AAV. Might as well do it for Geno too.

Anyway, good for Geno for sticking to his guns. Hopefully he still wants to ride it out as the three amigos in Pittsburgh.

And obvious 6M is better, but part of me is bummed he didnt get a 7.1M/year deal at some point.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I think the Pens probably offered the 4th year but lowered to 5.5M or something.

I'd bet it ends right around 6.1Mx4yr once Hextall realizes that's the lowest he'll get.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pens caved on Malkin's 4 year demand. This gets done.

They didn't cave. They were always going to wait till the last minute to put their best offer on the table. Just like NSH with Forsberg, or COL with Landeskog last year, etc. etc. etc. So are you really surprised? This is how business is done.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If the Pens sign Malkin for a $6.1M AAV, and Rakell for a $4.5M AAV, then if they move out Zucker (and even if they kept Dumoulin/McGinn/Blueger), they could sign Kadri for $7.5M and fit everyone else under the cap.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sid and Letang are two years older and Metro is a bloodbath now. The winning era for Pittsburgh is nearing its end

And who's to say they wouldn't spend the money on another UFA in that case (such as Kadri) or trade for JT Miller, etc....

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly, I'd offer him 5.2 X 5 years. An extra year and an extra 2 million, frontloaded so he can walk away at 39 if he wants. They're already stretching out Letang's years like taffy to lower the AAV. Might as well do it for Geno too.

Anyway, good for Geno for sticking to his guns. Hopefully he still wants to ride it out as the three amigos in Pittsburgh.

And obvious 6M is better, but part of me is bummed he didnt get a 7.1M/year deal at some point.
If it’s 5 years long and front loaded that would be bad for the Pens because the cap hit stays even if Malkin leaves.

DDDB8B1A-CEE3-4286-B977-1C2C373BF963.jpeg

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
If the Pens sign Malkin for a $6.1M AAV, and Rakell for a $4.5M AAV, then if they move out Zucker (and even if they kept Dumoulin/McGinn/Blueger), they could sign Kadri for $7.5M and fit everyone else under the cap.
Kadri could probably get 9 million per year on the open market.

Doubt he would take a severe discount like this.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kadri could probably get 9 million per year on the open market.

Doubt he would take a severe discount like this.

Sure, he might be $9M on a 4 or 5 year deal, but no one is giving Kadri $9M on a 7 year term.

My offer from Pittsburgh would be 7 years x 7.5M. I think a couple of other teams *might* match that, but no one is going to significantly outbid that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad