Rumor: Penguins going back to baby blue for outdoor game

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't have a major problem with the blues but it's overdone now. I want to see an all yellow gold jersey

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
What does this have to do with the outdoor game?

It's just a throwback t-shirt.

Unless I missed it, there have been no mention about what they'll be wearing for the outdoor game other than that they'll announce it later.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond

Unless I missed it, there have been no mention about what they'll be wearing for the outdoor game other than that they'll announce it later.

Bank it: they are wearing yellow with yellow helmets

No insider source, just a couple things add up to Yellow

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

Being the 50th Anniversary for both teams, I think both the Penguins and Flyers wearing their inaugural jerseys for that game sounds like a solid guess.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
lemieux.gif

Would prefer this...amiright?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No problem, at all, if they are a one-time wear. Stick with the current jerseys, though. Knock off changing them... EVER.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
So... do they honestly believe these blue jerseys won't be just as CURSED as the last two?

It's not a coincidence that when we finally ditched the wretched blues and embraced black and gold that we won a cup. And we had a full year of Crosby and minimal injuries.

I don't like this at all. This will end poorly.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Agreed, but i think blue makes sense for a one-off 50th anniversary jersey

Really it's the only time bringing that jersey back makes sense. At least until the 75th anniversary, and the 100th, etc.

Our 1967-68 jerseys were flat-out ugly IMO...but you can't just erase the fact that that's what we wore in our first season. When you're celebrating the [x]th anniversary of a team, you're going to see historic jerseys.

I'll take 1 game of Columbia blue over a dozen games of the Flyers inexplicably wearing a jersey based on a color that has nothing to do with the team any day.

We got our beautiful home & road set now, and I expect we'll see a gold jersey by 2018...it's really hard to complain too much about this one. For as much as I'd love to wear gold for this game, the fact that we're likely not going to means that I think we're saving that for something bigger...i.e. as full alternates in a year or two. Whatever we wore for this game was bound to be a one-off given that we have a new primary jersey this year as it is.

And honestly, given the jerseys teams typically wear in non-Winter or Heritage Classic outdoor games...I'll take legitimate throwbacks any time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

For the life of me I will never see the appeal of those jerseys. The only positive thing I can say about it is that robopigeon isn't front and center...but even if The Worst Logo Ever™ was front and center and least it wouldn't be straight-up ripping off the Rangers' jerseys. At least the Columbia blues had distinct elements (striping and number font) to it, even if they were otherwise ugly.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I wonder if they get a lot of requests from girls and women who prefer to buy a blue jersey to a black or gold one — so the merchandising types always make sure there's some throw-back blue jersey / apparel available each season. Marketing weenies then tie it into some number of games during the holiday season, rinse, repeat.

I say that because as a group we sure as hell don't like the blue jerseys, and this forum is predominantly guys AFAIK. And whatever else we are we're probably a reasonable approximation of the larger fan base in terms of jersey preferences and stuff like that, since that stuff isn't dependent upon how much hockey you watch or how long you've been a fan.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I didn't know so many people disliked the light blues. The dark blues were ugly, but the ones we wore in Buffalo were nice imo. I know a lot of people who bought one.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I just get tired of the constant retro stuff but if it's a one off for a glorified exhibition game then oh well.

I probably hate it most because it has connotations with the outdoor games which I despise.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Really it's the only time bringing that jersey back makes sense. At least until the 75th anniversary, and the 100th, etc.

Our 1967-68 jerseys were flat-out ugly IMO...but you can't just erase the fact that that's what we wore in our first season. When you're celebrating the [x]th anniversary of a team, you're going to see historic jerseys.

I'll take 1 game of Columbia blue over a dozen games of the Flyers inexplicably wearing a jersey based on a color that has nothing to do with the team any day.

We got our beautiful home & road set now, and I expect we'll see a gold jersey by 2018...it's really hard to complain too much about this one. For as much as I'd love to wear gold for this game, the fact that we're likely not going to means that I think we're saving that for something bigger...i.e. as full alternates in a year or two. Whatever we wore for this game was bound to be a one-off given that we have a new primary jersey this year as it is.

And honestly, given the jerseys teams typically wear in non-Winter or Heritage Classic outdoor games...I'll take legitimate throwbacks any time.

Boy this couldn't be better said. Well done, Big.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For the life of me I will never see the appeal of those jerseys. The only positive thing I can say about it is that robopigeon isn't front and center...but even if The Worst Logo Everâ„¢ was front and center and least it wouldn't be straight-up ripping off the Rangers' jerseys. At least the Columbia blues had distinct elements (striping and number font) to it, even if they were otherwise ugly.

The best thing I can say about them is that they were in a Snoop video back when he was still good. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad