Prospect Info: Penguins #8 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The new kid Lauzon stays ahead of Archibald in the runoff vote and earns 6th place. Archie thus finishes 7th, a return to the top 10 after being voted #13 in both 2016 and 2015. Added Niclas Almari and Frederik Tiffels.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)
#3 Zach Aston-Reese (80.19%) (new)
#4 Filip Gustavsson (58.49%) (+2)
#5 Teddy Blueger (42.00%) (+5)
#6 Zachary Lauzon (27.96% in #6 poll, 56.58% in runoff) (new)
#7 Josh Archibald (26.88% in #6 poll, 43.42% in runoff) (+6)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think peeps are sleeping on Bengtsson a bit which is understandable.
But if he gets back on track theres real potential there imo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not to be difficult but I think we should have a poll on whether or not Archibald should even be counted.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With Simon, i've said this before, but i just dunno if he's heading towards being an NHL regular or a Brian Gibbons type.

He's skilled and shifty. Decent shot but his skating and corner work is the thing he's missing to take that next step imo.
He's still only 22 tho...

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Not to be difficult but I think we should have a poll on whether or not Archibald should even be counted.

He's only played 11 regular season games and 4 playoff games. He's Calder eligible as well. Seems like he's clearly a prospect still, doesn't matter if they were SCF games or not.

Voted Simon. Top 6 upside, I liked him in the few games he's played.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
With Simon, i've said this before, but i just dunno if he's heading towards being an NHL regular or a Brian Gibbons type.

He's skilled and shifty. Decent shot but his skating and corner work is the thing he's missing to take that next step imo.

His two AHL seasons were well above expectations in my opinion. I didn't think his corner work hindered him in his call ups, he's got good escapability. Our pool is pretty weak, a Brian Gibbons type at #8 isn't so bad, even though I think he could be better.

EDIT:Add Angello.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Couldn't this be said about pretty much every skilled forward prospect other than Sprong?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Accidentally voted Simon instead of Olund. Simon should without question have been in the runoff.

Surprised how pretty much nobody rates the player with the highest P/60 for U20's in the SHL, better than Joel Eriksson-Ek, who is a few months older than him and according to the Minnesota board their best prospect. Not saying that he is close to being the better prospect, but it's quite impressive.

Add Phillips.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I like Simon's production the last two years in the AHL. But I'm hoping he doesn't plateau where he is and can reach another level next year or else I'm not sure he's gonna cut it the NHL. I think it'll be helpful for him to convert into a winger as well.

I voted for Lafferty. I really like his blend of size, skill, and potential.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Simon was good enough to play a few NHL games in his draft year and not look one bit out of place. I really like him, Skilled and Shifty.

I know he's better than brian Gibbons, that's for sure.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's only played 11 regular season games and 4 playoff games. He's Calder eligible as well. Seems like he's clearly a prospect still, doesn't matter if they were SCF games or not.

Voted Simon. Top 6 upside, I liked him in the few games he's played.

I think he's kind of in the middle-ground between prospect and graduated. I just don't see the point in including him since he's 25, not waiver eligible, on a one-way deal and virtually guaranteed to start the year in the NHL and probably spend all year up. It just makes all the work Burgs and the posters put into these rankings become obsolete somewhat quickly. If he's not officially graduated by now he will be by like, November or December.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond

It was discussed and supported in the thread and poll for Prospect #1 that based on the number of NHL games played that he is still a prospect.

With that being said it still 3 more poll before he was included.

Voted Adam Johnson

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
I think Simon is gonna be a solid 10-15 goal a year middle six wing. I'd say his chances of getting there is probably 50/50, but that's still pretty good for a 5th round pick.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
After this pick it seems like it will be a total free for all. There could be alot of run-offs.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I think he's kind of in the middle-ground between prospect and graduated. I just don't see the point in including him since he's 25, not waiver eligible, on a one-way deal and virtually guaranteed to start the year in the NHL and probably spend all year up. It just makes all the work Burgs and the posters put into these rankings become obsolete somewhat quickly. If he's not officially graduated by now he will be by like, November or December.

Right, I think there is room for growth with him, but he doesn't even have a ton of upside. What's his best case scenario? 2-3 tweener? Most likely a career 3rd-4th line energy guy. If he didn't play any NHL games, where would he have ranked? maybe 8-10th? More than anything it's just a boring pick.

After this pick it seems like it will be a total free for all. There could be alot of run-offs.

Yes, already having a hard time choosing. You can make a case for half the board.

I think Tiffels had a good year by most accounts, so he may be undervalued a bit.
Lafferty is a pick I have always been interested. Another college guy which the organization has picked rather well from as of late.
Bengston, Björkqvist, Johnson all good options.

I think Simon will take a hit in this years poll, rightfully so, but I think there is still upside there, hopefully he just had an off year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad