Prospect Info: Penguins #3 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Tristan Jarry easily won the last round, scoring his first top 3 finish in these polls. Added Sam Lafferty who had a standout junior year for the Brown Bears.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
ZAR to complete our tour of NHL ready prospects (well, I guess Archibald if he still counts, and Blugers is close).

Add Almari.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
ZAR should win in a landslide. Gus (and goalies in general) are a crap shoot at least until the hit the AHL.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
zardozhead.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
ZAR should win in a landslide. Gus (and goalies in general) are a crap shoot at least until the hit the AHL.

Is this based on stats or is it one of those accepted truths? Not disparaging it either way, just curious as these prospect pools are the first time I've been hearing this.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Voted ZAR, even though I'm a little more cautious than some others may be in terms of him still needing to adjust to the pro game and that it will probably take a bit more time than some think to be ready for full time NHL duty.

Lauzon and Gustavsson should be the next 2 choices, in either order.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Lauzon and Gustavsson should be the next 2 choices, in either order.
Gustavsson is going #4 without question. I expect #5 to be heavily contested between Bluegers, Simon and Lauzon. However I would vote for Olund (if he gets added).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Is this based on stats or is it one of those accepted truths? Not disparaging it either way, just curious as these prospect pools are the first time I've been hearing this.

I think it's more about where he is at in his progression and his likelihood to be an NHL player. He was a highly sought after free agent and plays a game that should translate well to the NHL. He will likely need time to adjust to the pro game (to be conservative, I'd say he needs a full year in the AHL, but you never can tell until you see it), but I think there's a high probability he will be an NHL player in some capacity.

We don't have a lot of other high upside forwards like Sprong or high end Dmen, so picking the closer to NHL ready guy makes sense to me.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
ZAR, then for #4 or #5 I would be pressed to put Blueger or Simon. ONLY because I see ability for one of them to make the team this coming year or at least having a full chance to try too because of the team having to try different moving parts in the bottom six. Not basing my feeling of them off of overall potential but of likelihood to be seen on NHL ice coming sooner than later.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it's more about where he is at in his progression and his likelihood to be an NHL player. He was a highly sought after free agent and plays a game that should translate well to the NHL. He will likely need time to adjust to the pro game (to be conservative, I'd say he needs a full year in the AHL, but you never can tell until you see it), but I think there's a high probability he will be an NHL player in some capacity.

We don't have a lot of other high upside forwards like Sprong or high end Dmen, so picking the closer to NHL ready guy makes sense to me.

I meant about the goaltender being a crapshoot thing, not ZAR's likelihood of being NHL ready.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
ZAR is expected to make the club at some point this roster and maybe even replace Hornqvist should he leave next offseason. I think you would have to say him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You people better be right about Aston-Reese, damn it. I'm taking a lot on faith for a guy who has 10 total AHL games to his credit to be chosen as the 3rd best prospect in the system.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You people better be right about Aston-Reese, damn it. I'm taking a lot on faith for a guy who has 10 total AHL games to his credit to be chosen as the 3rd best prospect in the system.

Apart from Simon, who on the list has a significant AHL record to stack up against him?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

He stepped in and had an immediate impact in the AHL, almost averaging a point per game. The most recent player to do that straight out of college was Sheary. And ZAR plays a more complete and physical game, put up better numbers in college as well. I think it's a safe bet, but you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad