Series Discussion: PDF: (1) Anaheim Ducks vs. (3) Calgary Flames

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I'm fine with that. I feel like I always rag on Raymond when I don't mean to but I think we have better options. I think Byron brings more intangibles.

I hear what you're saying and completely agree. I never mean to rag on Raymond's game nearly as much as I do, and as decent as he's actually been for the odd shift (especially in that last game) there are just too many times where he just looks lost out there imo (which was my beef with Colborne until he started using his size more and playing better away from the puck). I get that Raymond is generally not a physical player, which means he should be chipping in more on offense, but imo there simply isn't a spot for him in our lineup where he can be matched with teammates who compliment his game or whose game he compliments. Perhaps he'd thrive more on a line with Backlund and Bennett, but you can't just gift a player top-six minutes with the hope of sparking him; Hartley would've done that vs Raymond's former team if he were going to try it at all.

Conversely, Byron brings every bit of speed to the table as Raymond, but works his ass off every shift, and plays as if he were 6'4". It is quite hilarious to note how snake-bitten he is on breakaways, but just the simple fact that he gets as many chances as he does while playing the big-man's game gives us a bottom-six threat that opponent's won't always see coming while busy focusing on our top guys. I actually think skating Byron with Jooris would even spark Josh's game as well, as I've found him to be relatively ineffective so far during ploffs, or at least more so than I ever thought he'd be. Bouma-Jooris-Byron would actually be a sick line; fast, physical, defensively responsible, with the potential to chip in with some timely goals.

EDIT: Why do I feel like we've seen those three lined up before earlier in the season?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well said WOP, I agree with all those points 100%. Raymond is a good player, I don't think we'll see him come out. But for the reasons you mentioned personally I'd go with Byron.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Looking through some previous GDT's from this season, it seems like any two of Bouma, Jooris and Byron have skated together on a line at some point but never the three together, at least from what I can tell. Hartley has been known to switch it up mid-game, so I guess there's a chance they've played together. Either way, I see that as an extremely hard-working and potentially dangerous line for us if and when Boums makes it back at some point in the series vs ANA.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Ya I agree but I also wouldn't be shocked to see Ramo starting before the series is over.

It will take something drastic like our game #6 start, or an overall poor showing in a lopsided loss for Hartley to resort to Ramo again. To be honest, I really couldn't care less who we have in there.. both goalies really seem to be at their best right now, though I think it'd be that much sweeter to see Jonas stick it to his former club.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Ya I agree but I also wouldn't be shocked to see Ramo starting before the series is over.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that if Hiller won't start, he'd lose his job. They've been a great tandem the whole season, and it's both of their job. Hiller has obviously been big in the playoffs, but Rämö has also been very good when it really matters. I'm very happy with the current situation overall. :handclap:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I hear what you're saying and completely agree. I never mean to rag on Raymond's game nearly as much as I do, and as decent as he's actually been for the odd shift (especially in that last game) there are just too many times where he just looks lost out there imo (which was my beef with Colborne until he started using his size more and playing better away from the puck). I get that Raymond is generally not a physical player, which means he should be chipping in more on offense, but imo there simply isn't a spot for him in our lineup where he can be matched with teammates who compliment his game or whose game he compliments. Perhaps he'd thrive more on a line with Backlund and Bennett, but you can't just gift a player top-six minutes with the hope of sparking him; Hartley would've done that vs Raymond's former team if he were going to try it at all.

Conversely, Byron brings every bit of speed to the table as Raymond, but works his ass off every shift, and plays as if he were 6'4". It is quite hilarious to note how snake-bitten he is on breakaways, but just the simple fact that he gets as many chances as he does while playing the big-man's game gives us a bottom-six threat that opponent's won't always see coming while busy focusing on our top guys. I actually think skating Byron with Jooris would even spark Josh's game as well, as I've found him to be relatively ineffective so far during ploffs, or at least more so than I ever thought he'd be. Bouma-Jooris-Byron would actually be a sick line; fast, physical, defensively responsible, with the potential to chip in with some timely goals.

EDIT: Why do I feel like we've seen those three lined up before earlier in the season?

Bouma in without a doubt. Personally, as much as Raymond ****** me off, I'd still rather see him than Byron. I think his playoff experience is crucial and I trust him to score a timely goal before Byron. He's one of those guys that'll barely contribute anything and score a huge goal, becoming a hero. Plus, Byron's gone next year, we just don't have room for him. It's likely we'll try to move Raymond so it only makes sense to play him and hope he catches one of his hot streaks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Hiller struggles, Hartley won't hesitate to go to Ramo. But Hiller was exceptional overall against the Nucks, last nights start doesn't change that.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
hKgUQfn.jpg

LETS GO DUCK HUNTING

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Bouma in without a doubt. Personally, as much as Raymond ****** me off, I'd still rather see him than Byron. I think his playoff experience is crucial and I trust him to score a timely goal before Byron. He's one of those guys that'll barely contribute anything and score a huge goal, becoming a hero. Plus, Byron's gone next year, we just don't have room for him. It's likely we'll try to move Raymond so it only makes sense to play him and hope he catches one of his hot streaks.

See, this is how I regard Byron, only he would actually contribute in other intangible ways besides offense. Lest we forget that Byron was also quite hot for a spell around the start of the year, and did see his share of top-six duty. I'd take a chance on him to come out flying for a game or two, rather than assume Raymond is the better option with what we've already seen plenty of from him. Not discounting what Raymond has to offer in terms of experience; it's that I really just don't see a fit for him with Bollig and Jooris (or anywhere, for that matter), with the only other option being to switch him with Colborne (whom I still don't think we have seen the best of quite yet, and whom I believe may yet gel nicely with Bennett and Backlund in the long run). Byron and Jooris have played together a number of times already, and as weird as it might sound, I think Byron would bring a bit more physicality and overall energy (something we've too often lacked) to our lineup than Raymond does regularly.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Raymond isn't scoring a point at least every other game, there's not much of a point to having him in the lineup IMO. There are other players scoring less than that pace and offer other things that Raymond does not.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Raymond is mostly useless. Should be bought out if the Flames can't find a trade partner in the off season.

animals-duck-sleeping-gif-anigif_enhanced-buzz-2410-1369939749-19.gif

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

well said but isn't Byron injured? If Byron or Bouma are ready then you have to put them in but if not then there's nobody pushing Raymond out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad