Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
GKr5SUV.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ducks are massive favourites, good! Yes these guys scare me, but you know what, we beat them this year. I keep thinking about the video that was shown inside the Flames dressing room when we clinched a playoff spot, Hartley said there's something special about this group. We are a scary team, we have the Ducks former starting goalie, how bad does he want to beat his old team? There's no quit in our boys and they'll jump in front of a semi to get a win. I don't know how the series will play out, but I know we're going to play harder than anyone. I just don't know if my heart can handle it?

ginopuck

Apr 2, 2012
Haven't noticed Giordano being injured being a problem but against the Ducks Giordano would have been a huge factor. The Ducks will just destroy the Flames I think they will sweep 'em. I can just see Ferland trying to hit Getzlaf and literally bouncing off him. Getzlaf and Kesler will literally wipe the ice with these guys. It's not going to be pretty.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
I don't see a sweep for the Ducks, but I think they'll win the series. Just too much top end talent and a solid defensive corps. Anything is possible, though. If the Flames continue to forecheck hard, finish their checks, get traffic in front of Anderssen, stay out of the box, and whomever starts in net (Hiller or Ramo) stands on his head, they just might pull it out. Lots of "ifs", though.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Haven't noticed Giordano being injured being a problem but against the Ducks Giordano would have been a huge factor. The Ducks will just destroy the Flames I think they will sweep 'em. I can just see Ferland trying to hit Getzlaf and literally bouncing off him. Getzlaf and Kesler will literally wipe the ice with these guys. It's not going to be pretty.

Glad you have faith. Just like we got wiped this season series with Anaheim.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
We go from the sedins being a handful to perry and getzlaf. That won't be fun.

Kesler is going now which is a big difference as the nucks never really had that dangerous 2nd line with bonino.

So going to be tough

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
The Jets were a tough team all year, and it's important to remember that while on the surface a sweep is a sweep, the Ducks were forced to come back three times from being down going into the 3rd -- twice to win, and once to force OT, where they won. That series could easily have been 3-1 Winnipeg after game four, and the final outcome nowhere near reflects how close that series actually was. I won't be so bold as to predict another Flames victory, but we have beaten the Ducks twice in Calgary this year.. I think the Jets lost every game in their own season series vs ANA. The only team to have anywhere near the same 3rd period success as we've had is the Ducks, but we have a once-Duck goalie who'd surely like nothing more than to stick it to his former team. I'll admit that I'm a little concerned with how banged up we are, not just with guys like Boums and Gio out, but after how physical we played vs the 'Nucks; the Flames will still have at least 3 or 4 days of rest, but I think the extra time off will be of great benefit to the Ducks, and that they will come to play, especially with home ice advantage (which is even more so considering we haven't won there in how long..)

Keys to a series victory will be a physical, surprise game #1 win that doesn't cost us too much health/injury-wise, and nothing less than a split at the Honda Centre. I can honestly see this being tied after game #4, essentially making it a grueling 3-game series that comes down to who's got the better depth. Ferdaddy has got to be all over their top guys like flies on poop, and we need our own top line to keep rolling.. hopefully they are just about to get hot at the right time. I'm not holding my breath on Gio returning anytime before game 5, but Boums would be a huge boost for us; his game is absolutely built for ploffs, and I think the Flames would be significantly better even by simply switching him out for Raymond.

I wouldn't necessarily give Anaheim the edge in goaltending; I think much of the stability comes from their depth on the back end, which they obviously have the edge over us. The one who honestly scares me the most is Perry.. I remember thinking at one point that his MVP season might've been anomalous, but this guy is completely unflappable and a true clutch player. I don't know which Flame is going to draw that assignment, but I really think Ferdaddy will be targeting either Getzlaf or Kesler.. both the type of players who are much easier thrown off their game than Perry.

It is going to be an amazing series; I am actually more worried about the Ducks than any other team the Flames would face after if they manage to win. We can't be any worse off than tied after four games if we're going to stand an honest chance imo, and if Bouma and/or Gio are good to go for games 5, 6 and 7, it might be just the boost we need at the right time. If we can take two out of five in the season series, I don't see why we couldn't take at least two from them with ploffs on the line, so imo this series goes at least six. And I dunno if anybody caught this Hartley quote from the Calgary Sun, but I think it all but confirms we'll see Hiller starting game #1:

Coach Bob Hartley apologized to the team for his pulling of Jonas Hiller on Saturday.

Hiller gave up two goals in the first 7:32 of the game before Karri Ramo got the call as Hiller watched the rest of the game from the bench. "I apologized to Jonas Hiller in front of the whole team," Hartley said. "I didn’t pull him because I felt it was his fault. I just felt that it wasn’t a good start for us and I needed to jump-start. There was water in the fuel." The move eventually paid off in a series clinching 7-4 win over Vancouver.

Apr 26 - 6:55 AM Source: Calgary Sun

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I don't know, Ducks are good but the Flames are capable of playing a decent game of hockey against them. Unlike against the Blues for example.

Every game is just extra gravy from now on, I'm not losing any sleep if they lose. Just breaking the Honda curse would be a great achievement.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we're going to win, our top line has to be better than their top line. Backlund has to nuetralize Kesler for most of the series. Our bottom 6 has to outhit their bottom 6. Our defence basically has to continue what they did against the Nucks, play solid, block a **** load of shots, clear the crease and allow Hiller to the see the shooting lanes. Lastly our goalies need to be better than theirs.

Now realistically that seems impossible, but if everyone executes and does their job, it's not. I do think the Monahan line can outplay the Getzlaf line some games but not all, how many times they do may decide the series. Backlund needs to go to another level. He's already a great defensive player but he needs to step up more and score more as well.

I'd seriously put in Wolf, sit Raymond. The Ducks are no joke and we need the size in our lineup. Ferland and Bollig cannot do all the hitting, playing Wolf would be huge IMO.

Our D didn't get talked about enough last series. Brodie was a star, he played as well as I've seen Keith play for the Hawks. Russell and Wides were excellent obviously. And Schlemko and Engelland were very good to. If they can replicate what they did against the Nucks, we have a chance. Again, play hard down low, use your body, clear the crease, open up shooting lanes but continue to block shots at the right time. Our guys all do an excellent job of knowing when to do what at key times, including jumping into the play.

Hiller/Ramo quite simply need to win the goaltending battle. They are the most important players for us in this series and will be the largest deciding factor in if we win. I actually think we have an edge in goaltending personally, they just have to play to their potential and not let in softies.

If everyone executes at their respective roles and does their job, we definitely have a chance here. But the Ducks are probably the best team in the West, this is going to be a massive challenge.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we're going to win, our top line has to be better than their top line. Backlund has to nuetralize Kesler for most of the series. Our bottom 6 has to outhit their bottom 6. Our defence basically has to continue what they did against the Nucks, play solid, block a **** load of shots, clear the crease and allow Hiller to the see the shooting lanes. Lastly our goalies need to be better than theirs.

Now realistically that seems impossible, but if everyone executes and does their job, it's not. I do think the Monahan line can outplay the Getzlaf line some games but not all, how many times they do may decide the series. Backlund needs to go to another level. He's already a great defensive player but he needs to step up more and score more as well.

I'd seriously put in Wolf, sit Raymond. The Ducks are no joke and we need the size in our lineup. Ferland and Bollig cannot do all the hitting, playing Wolf would be huge IMO.

Our D didn't get talked about enough last series. Brodie was a star, he played as well as I've seen Keith play for the Hawks. Russell and Wides were excellent obviously. And Schlemko and Engelland were very good to. If they can replicate what they did against the Nucks, we have a chance. Again, play hard down low, use your body, clear the crease, open up shooting lanes but continue to block shots at the right time. Our guys all do an excellent of knowing when to do what at key times, including jumping into the play.

Hiller/Ramo quite simply need to win the goaltending battle. They are the most important players for us in this series and will be the largest deciding factor in if we win. I actually think we have an edge in goaltending personally, they just have to play to their potential and not let in softies.

If everyone executes at their respective roles and does their job, we definitely have a chance here. But the Ducks are probably the best team in the West, this is going to be a massive challenge.
I disagree with all of this.

What we need is
images

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If you guys can get into the heads of Getzlaf and Perry, they can take some dumb penalties. i'd really take it to them early.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Byron may be close, though I'm totally speculating. He likely didn't draw in if he was healthy because we played Raymond. But I think he was close to ready at the end of the regular season.

I agree 100TG, we're going to need a leprechaun to win this series.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Byron may be close, though I'm totally speculating. He likely didn't draw in if he was healthy because we played Raymond. But I think he was close to ready at the end of the regular season.

I agree 100TG, we're going to need a leprechaun to win this series.

I think I'd even rather have Byron in than Raymond until Bouma's ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad