PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So NVidia had one of their major annual media events today with the GTC 2018 keynote presentation. And nothing new announced on the desktop GPU front.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Don't make the same mistake with your ram that I did and just put it in the first two spots that work; I ended up having my ram in single channel for like 6 months until I had to fix a loose CPU fan and noticed that I was an idiot.

But, if you followed the motherboard directions, you probably did it right. Me? I saw where it went and was too anxious to boot it up to actually read what I was supposed to do.
Yeah, I did the same thing with my last build... I installed my RAM in dual channel mode instead of quad channel. I hadn't ever dealt with quad channel before, and assumed that with a 4 stick kit, all the sticks would go on the same side of the CPU. Bad assumption.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyone know of any good deals on ram right now? The ram I ordered for my brothers PC got discontinued before it shipped.

The motherboard is a ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

RAM is basically a commodity anymore and the price is the price for the most part.

On the margins these seem like decent deals as they are either 3200 or 3000mhz for the price of 2133/2400.
Team T-Force / Night Hawk 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model THWD416G3200HC16CDC01 - Newegg.ca
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GVRB - Newegg.ca

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So if I'm looking for a pre-built gaming desktop around ~1000 CAD give or a take a hundred or so. Any suggestions?

Is that still the way to go right now since I last asked a few months ago (opposed to building my own)?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So if I'm looking for a pre-built gaming desktop around ~1000 CAD give or a take a hundred or so. Any suggestions?

Is that still the way to go right now since I last asked a few months ago (opposed to building my own)?

In that price range, probably. What games are you interested in?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In that price range, probably. What games are you interested in?

Right now? Not really anything haha.

Diablo 3. Divinity 2. Maybe some Fortnite.

My current desktop is probably 8ish years old. And the video card 5 or so. And it's on the verge of melting down. I'd like to have it relatively future proof so when a game comes out that I do want to play I'm able to. For example, I'd like to be able to play the new Tomb Raider when it comes out.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I also saw that HP. From what I can tell, that appears to have the best combination of price/performance in this range. Even with the crappy 300W unit. It's cheaper than the rest to the point where I'd buy that and buy a new PSU for it and it would still come out ahead. It appears to use a standard ATX power supply so swapping it out wouldn't be a problem. Of course the included one *should* work but it's definitely on the lean side.

FWIW nothing in this price range I'd describe as future proof. They all have 8GB RAM and weaker CPUs. But the good news is they are upgradable. That HP can take a new CPU, more RAM (you'd probably have to yank out the 8 though instead of just adding another 8) and it would take a new video card when needed. Though the RX 580 is still relatively high end.

That HP will definitely do what you are looking to do for a few years.
EDIT: Oh it looks like it comes with a free coupon for Far Cry 5 if that floats your boat.

Expanding the budget to the $1300ish range will get you a little better platform but it's probably not worth the difference at that point and I'd think about just building. I'd either get the HP with the knowledge you'll probably be dumping some RAM and maybe a power supply into it in a couple years or save up for a build.

Maybe there are desktops on other sites I'm not aware of. I checked memory express and their prices were pretty high.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
That Costco one definitely has a better, or at least bigger power supply. Here's another option:

https://www.amazon.ca/CYBERPOWERPC-...ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1522764553&sr=1-1

They don't list the power supply, so I can't guarantee what's in it, but I have trouble seeing it being a 300w or less. With it being Amazon, if you absolutely had to, you could return it as well. I think Cyberpower has a history of reasonable sized PSU's - I suspect it will be a no name, which makes it hard to know the quality.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone tried PC Building Simulator on Steam?

I'm strangely tempted. Like a lot.

It is in Early Access though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad