PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
A little update on some of the components I purchased towards my build.

I got a $25 best buy gift card through Samsung pay and used that towards a Samsung Evo 850 SSD 500gb. With Amazon price match it was only $124 after tax.

I just ordered a gigabyte z370 hd3 mobo. I was looking at an MSI that was cheaper but the reviews weren't that great as it had problems installing windows 10. So I did find a deal on the gigabyte for only $117 with no tax and free shipping so that worked out.

Speaking of windows 10. I don't want to pay full price for the OS. Anyone know if there are deals out there? I did see some that just seem too cheap. Not sure if I can trust them.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
A little update on some of the components I purchased towards my build.

I got a $25 best buy gift card through Samsung pay and used that towards a Samsung Evo 850 SSD 500gb. With Amazon price match it was only $124 after tax.

I just ordered a gigabyte z370 hd3 mobo. I was looking at an MSI that was cheaper but the reviews weren't that great as it had problems installing windows 10. So I did find a deal on the gigabyte for only $117 with no tax and free shipping so that worked out.

Speaking of windows 10. I don't want to pay full price for the OS. Anyone know if there are deals out there? I did see some that just seem too cheap. Not sure if I can trust them.
Marketplace for Microsoft Software • r/microsoftsoftwareswap

I have gotten a few Windows keys there, and they have all been fine.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I haven't followed 1060 prices as much as 580's, but that's probably a solid price, and it is the 6 GB version - I doubt you're going to see significantly better than that. I also like that that card isn't monstrously long, so you'll have an easier time fitting it in a case than some other cards.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I haven't followed 1060 prices as much as 580's, but that's probably a solid price, and it is the 6 GB version - I doubt you're going to see significantly better than that. I also like that that card isn't monstrously long, so you'll have an easier time fitting it in a case than some other cards.

I've been hoping for a 6GB version to go under $300 but it doesn't look like it'll happen. This is still a minor victory of sorts. Will go out and grab it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's just take out my old card and put this one in? Man, the picture makes it look so much smaller than my 760.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I've been hoping for a 6GB version to go under $300 but it doesn't look like it'll happen. This is still a minor victory of sorts. Will go out and grab it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's just take out my old card and put this one in? Man, the picture makes it look so much smaller than my 760.

Yeah it's tiny. I love having it in my mini tower.

I just swapped my cards and reinstalled the driver just in case. Zero issues whatsoever. I'd definitely recommend a custom fan curve though, optimizing either cooling or noise. The default one is very meh.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Ideally, you should remove the old driver entirely, and install a new driver, but I suspect you would probably get away with just dropping that one in and installing a new driver. If you were going from AMD to Nvidia, I wouldn't have bet on it though.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Ideally, you should remove the old driver entirely, and install a new driver, but I suspect you would probably get away with just dropping that one in and installing a new driver. If you were going from AMD to Nvidia, I wouldn't have bet on it though.

Nvidia and Logitech are like the only companies anywhere that I have loyalty to. I dunno why honestly but hell, their stuff works.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So I'm helping my brother put together his first computer and he has some stuff (cpu, case, case fans, hard drives, power supply), but I just wanted some of your expert opinions on the prospective build System Builder - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING, Challenger S ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker Canada

I didn't spend too much time looking, but the glaring thing I would possibly change - the motherboard and CPU you linked - does he already have those? Or you're buying them? If you are buying them, move up to a z370 board and an i5-8600K.

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.ca

I'm not specifically recommending that motherboad as I'm not familiar with it, but it's roughly the same price range, and supports the 8th generation processors. That processor is a newer generation than the one you linked, and has 6 cores instead of 4. If you don't feel he needs 6 cores, you could drop down to an 8th generation i3, and save money.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
OK, maybe one of you here can help me. I am tasked with building a test PC here at work who's main requirement is using a GeForce Titan Black.

I have found an old PC here which the card can plug into, but I'm thinking it may be more than that :)

What do I need to run this card? Power supply size for example. Do I need a specific motherboard, like one built in the last few years? The old desktop I have wasn't. Part of the reason I ask is because the card came with some cables for what look like power. I am guess 2 different type power connectors x2. Cooling is another thing I guess would be a concern. This is going to be running a script for what is expected to take a month, so I assume they will be pushing the card. We don't need a powerful CPU as the GC is doing all the processing for the test.

Any help on the setup I'd need is appreciated.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So I got a CPU for xmas, and I need to grab a new MB/RAM to go with it.

With my current build, I went with a budget board. Haven't had any issues out of it at all, but I was thinking I'd spend a majority of my budget on the MOBO for this upgrade.

So here's my question: does it make more sense to spend more $$$ on the MOBO and only pick up one stick of 4GB DDR4 (I currently have 8GB of DDR3 and DDR4 is ultra expensive right now), and pick up another stick in a few months when money is a little less tight or find another budget mobo and pick up 8GB of DDR4? Was looking at ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com using this for the motherboard.

Any recommendations on RAM that would cost me 60 tops for the 4GB stick if the solo stick is the way to go?

I'm using a full ATX case with a 725W PSU and a 1060 6GB. Use the PC pretty much strictly for gaming.

Thanks for any advice.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
OK, maybe one of you here can help me. I am tasked with building a test PC here at work who's main requirement is using a GeForce Titan Black.

I have found an old PC here which the card can plug into, but I'm thinking it may be more than that :)

What do I need to run this card? Power supply size for example. Do I need a specific motherboard, like one built in the last few years? The old desktop I have wasn't. Part of the reason I ask is because the card came with some cables for what look like power. I am guess 2 different type power connectors x2. Cooling is another thing I guess would be a concern. This is going to be running a script for what is expected to take a month, so I assume they will be pushing the card. We don't need a powerful CPU as the GC is doing all the processing for the test.

Any help on the setup I'd need is appreciated.

I'm seeing that the minimum power supply is 600w... I suspect that if you had a quality (ie, Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, one of the other big hitters) that you could get away with 500w or so, but if you've got higher, no need to push it. It looks like it needs an 8 pin PCIe plug and a 6 pin PCIe plug - any modern power supply ought to have those, certainly within the power range you're looking at for this card.

Do you just have surplus parts available? SniperHF will probably have a better idea than I do, but I would think you would want at least... I dunno, a 3rd or 4th generation i5, with newer and more powerful meaning you can squeeze more out of that card. Do you need to max out the performance you get out of the card?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So I got a CPU for xmas, and I need to grab a new MB/RAM to go with it.

With my current build, I went with a budget board. Haven't had any issues out of it at all, but I was thinking I'd spend a majority of my budget on the MOBO for this upgrade.

So here's my question: does it make more sense to spend more $$$ on the MOBO and only pick up one stick of 4GB DDR4 (I currently have 8GB of DDR3 and DDR4 is ultra expensive right now), and pick up another stick in a few months when money is a little less tight or find another budget mobo and pick up 8GB of DDR4? Was looking at ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com using this for the motherboard.

Any recommendations on RAM that would cost me 60 tops for the 4GB stick if the solo stick is the way to go?

I'm using a full ATX case with a 725W PSU and a 1060 6GB. Use the PC pretty much strictly for gaming.

Thanks for any advice.

Just to be sure of what we're making recommendations for, what processor did you get?

As far as $ for MB and 4GB o RAM vs a cheapo MB and 8GB of RAM - I might go for the first option if more RAM was coming later, but it would depend on how much workload you plan to throw at it in the meantime, and really , what the difference between the two motherboards was. I suspect you might be disappointed in what your computer will do with 4GB of RAM, but it really depends on what you're going to do with it.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm seeing that the minimum power supply is 600w... I suspect that if you had a quality (ie, Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, one of the other big hitters) that you could get away with 500w or so, but if you've got higher, no need to push it. It looks like it needs an 8 pin PCIe plug and a 6 pin PCIe plug - any modern power supply ought to have those, certainly within the power range you're looking at for this card.

Do you just have surplus parts available? SniperHF will probably have a better idea than I do, but I would think you would want at least... I dunno, a 3rd or 4th generation i5, with newer and more powerful meaning you can squeeze more out of that card. Do you need to max out the performance you get out of the card?

We always try and do things on the cheap, but it looks like we may have to just build something. We don't want the CPU to drag down the card, so I'm not sure what that threshold is when it comes to motherboard CPU. This is a secret project, so I'm not sure exactly what they are doing. Only that the GC is doing all the heavy lifting running a script for days on end.

So far from what I can tell:
12GB RAM

Why can't I past an Amazon Link? It changes it to media and then I see nothing.
650 PWR : What I'm thinking (EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-0650-V1)

Motherboard: Looking
CPU: Looking
Cooling: Not sure if I need extra

Here is a pif of the card. It came with 2 cables. The PWR supplies I'm seeing don't have the 3 pin connector sockets. I'm thinking the cables that come with the PWR supply will work with just a 6 and an 8 pin, but not sure if that's correct or enough. The board just has one 6 and one 8 connector.

20171226_101434.jpg

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
@Led Zappa can you unplug those cables from the card? If so, are there a 6 and 8 pin connector on the card? I'm thinking those cables are maybe just a funky adaptor intended for power supplies that didn't have the necessary connectors?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
@Led Zappa can you unplug those cables from the card? If so, are there a 6 and 8 pin connector on the card? I'm thinking those cables are maybe just a funky adaptor intended for power supplies that didn't have the necessary connectors?

That's my guess. The connectors on the card are 1 8pin and 1 6pin. The The 8 pin cable that came with the card splits it into 2 6 pins. The supply I'm looking at has 2 8pins and maybe 1 6 pin? Circle in pic.

pwrsply.png

And now I've confused myself more as there is second set of pc edge connectors on the other side of the card as well.

20171226_134404.jpg

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Just to be sure of what we're making recommendations for, what processor did you get?

As far as $ for MB and 4GB o RAM vs a cheapo MB and 8GB of RAM - I might go for the first option if more RAM was coming later, but it would depend on how much workload you plan to throw at it in the meantime, and really , what the difference between the two motherboards was. I suspect you might be disappointed in what your computer will do with 4GB of RAM, but it really depends on what you're going to do with it.

Yeah I left some information out.

What I have right now:
MB: ASRock A88M
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill
CPU: AMD A10-7850
GPU: 1060 6GB

I was gifted the G4600.

What I have right now: AS88M with AMD A10-7850

As far as what I plan on doing with it, strictly gaming, web browsing and my wife does some crafting stuff with it. I may ALT+TAB out of a game and browse Reddit or something while waiting for queues during games or to reference information about a game, but nothing heavy. The other stick of RAM would probably be at minimum 2 months out since we've got a new baby due next week and money is gonna be hard to come by.

I can of course let the CPU sit and revisit the whole package in a few months as my machine as it is now does everything I need it to if that would be the smarter play.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
So, using the System Builder I found reading through this thread this is what I've come up with and according to site there are no compatibility issues. If anyone can offer advice, like get a better CPU or such, please let me know. I'm hoping to put CentOs on this as a guide I saw said the card is RedHat compatible :D

PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB, Gamemax-BK ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB, G... - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($112.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-970A-DS3P FX (rev. 2.1) ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.63 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Video Card (No Price, but of course I already have the card)
Case: DIYPC - Gamemax-BK ATX Full Tower Case ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $460.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-26 17:41 EST-0500

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Well, now I've been given around a grand and he wants it water cooled because it will be running the script 24/7 hopefully pushing the system to it's limits.

Never done water cooled, but it sounds fun.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So, using the System Builder I found reading through this thread this is what I've come up with and according to site there are no compatibility issues. If anyone can offer advice, like get a better CPU or such, please let me know. I'm hoping to put CentOs on this as a guide I saw said the card is RedHat compatible :D

PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB, Gamemax-BK ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB, G... - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($112.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-970A-DS3P FX (rev. 2.1) ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.63 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Video Card (No Price, but of course I already have the card)
Case: DIYPC - Gamemax-BK ATX Full Tower Case ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $460.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-26 17:41 EST-0500
I'll have a closer look later tonight. The 8 pin VGA connectors you showed on the power supply likely on the other end into a 6+2 connector - ie, it can be used as a 6 pin or 8 pin PCIe connector. The other connectors you saw on the card are for SLI - I assume you don't have two of those cards that you are running :laugh:

I suspect that you would do better with a cheap motherboard, and a Ryzen 3 processor, and 8 GB of RAM, to come in at a similar price, unless whatever is being one is really RAM intensive and needs the 16 GB.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah I left some information out.

What I have right now:
MB: ASRock A88M
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill
CPU: AMD A10-7850
GPU: 1060 6GB

I was gifted the G4600.

What I have right now: AS88M with AMD A10-7850

As far as what I plan on doing with it, strictly gaming, web browsing and my wife does some crafting stuff with it. I may ALT+TAB out of a game and browse Reddit or something while waiting for queues during games or to reference information about a game, but nothing heavy. The other stick of RAM would probably be at minimum 2 months out since we've got a new baby due next week and money is gonna be hard to come by.

I can of course let the CPU sit and revisit the whole package in a few months as my machine as it is now does everything I need it to if that would be the smarter play.
Is your gaming with AAA titles? I don't think you need an expensive motherboard, but I do like going with one that has a bit of a premium built in as opposed to a rock bottom motherboard - but I do think 4 GB of RAM might be a little painful depending on the games. I like to throw 16 GB into new builds, but last I checked, I don't think 16 GB really gives you much advantage over 8 GB yet in most scenarios.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad