Player Discussion Pavol Regenda

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Looks like a solid signing. Will be interested to see if he crosses the pond or stays in Europe.
I can't imagine that he will stay in Europe. He is going to count against the 50 player contract limit regardless, so I expect that the Ducks want to see him in San Diego next season, to see how he adopts to the North American game. If he does well, they can bring him up. If not, it is only a two year contract and he can stay in San Diego for both years.

This move was certainly below the radar. It fits within what Verbeek was talking about, wanting to get bigger. It is an interesting first step in building the "new" Ducks.

Reactions: Kalv and SmokeyDuck

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As a close follower of Slovak players, I'm a bit biased, but I really like this signing. A few weeks ago, Arizona signed Milos Kelemen who is the same age, and I was surprised Regenda didn't gain more interest. He was terrific for Slovakia in the Olympics and at the World Championships.

If nothing else, he should be a good power forward in San Diego, but the NHL potential is defenitely there. He has good instincts around the net.

HeartAttack

Feb 16, 2018
No context besides the stats. Don't suppose we have any Slovaks hiding around here?

Hello there!
Stats dont tell everything thats sure...as big he is, he sure knows how to move his feet to quick leaving from d-zone, no problems with maintaining his position around boards and will win battles around net. Ferocious forecheking, constantly moving and had great chemistry with Slafkovsky during the Olympics (so best option is to get him too 😉😀)

And he did it to the newest NHL D gem in Seider but if you want to see filthiest deke then find Slovakia - Sweden OG bronze game and his assist on second goal to Takac...thats some funny stuff moving around 2 D's

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Slovak here. This was long in the making. He was on a mid to low tier team in the Slovak extraliga last season. He excelled, made the national team and was an instrumental player on our way to bronze medal at the Olympics. He wasn't really on the national team to be one of the leaders, but he absolutely was. Smart player all around.

Signed by a team in the Czech extraliga, which was a surprise to many (not seen as a big step up, people were thinking maybe the Swedish league if not the NHL directly).

Then he made the national team and had a great showing at the World Championship. So I guess the scouts were watching this whole time. IMO he is absolutely an NHL player. At what level remains to be seen, but I believe he can stick around.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Slovak here. This was long in the making. He was on a mid to low tier team in the Slovak extraliga last season. He excelled, made the national team and was an instrumental player on our way to bronze medal at the Olympics. He wasn't really on the national team to be one of the leaders, but he absolutely was. Smart player all around.

Signed by a team in the Czech extraliga, which was a surprise to many (not seen as a big step up, people were thinking maybe the Swedish league if not the NHL directly).

Then he made the national team and had a great showing at the World Championship. So I guess the scouts were watching this whole time. IMO he is absolutely an NHL player. At what level remains to be seen, but I believe he can stick around.
Didn't his team finished 4th in the regular season? What can you say about Bucek?

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Didn't his team finished 4th in the regular season? What can you say about Bucek?
Bucek has a superb shot, hands and scoring instinct. Weaker skater than Regenda though. He went undrafted mainly because of his skating and lack-of 2way play, though he did improve on both since, which is why he is being given a shot now in the Kraken organization.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Very excited about the reports on Regenda.
I am ok if he will need an adoption time first, but this looks very promising to me as 2 years should be enough to get an idea for him. But size and speed is exactly what PV was aiming for and looks like he means what he says.
We finally have a player who can win a puck battle with Seider :laugh:

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Nice to hear. I saw Regenda a bit in the Olympics and the WC, and I liked what I saw. He plays a North American game. He has size and knows how to use it. Regenda was able to score as well in those tournaments though I wouldn't expect too much out of him offensively. Still a young guy so there's room to grow and improve. Bottom 6 upside on NHL level. The last player the Ducks signed based on WC play was Hakanpää and that worked out well. Hopefully this one does as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad