Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Revisionist history. The knock on him was that too often the opposite of the above was true.
Revisionist history indeed. Alex was probably the most talented player in their primes the Rangers have ever had but he didn’t have the drive. He was a classic floater. Fueled the lazy Russian stereotype. He should have retired with twice the goals and assists he had. Should have been an all time great

Although not nearly as talented Buchnevich seems to have the identical issue.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Revisionist history indeed. Alex was probably the most talented player in their primes the Rangers have ever had but he didn’t have the drive. He was a classic floater. Fueled the lazy Russian stereotype. He should have retired with twice the goals and assists he had. Should have been an all time great

Look, he's arguably the most talented player I have ever seen. But the head and the heart didn't always keep up.

Reactions: Shadowtron

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Buchnevich is lazy and soft. Those two things usually can't be fixed. Said it for months now. I would love to see them deal him and another player to move up to 3 or 4 in this draft.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Buchnevich having a good offseason, I see.

c8zxmbwt3v011.jpg
Anyone else worried that Buch's legs are the same size as the Donkey's? :laugh:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Kovy retired with 430 goals and 1039 points. You really think he should have retired with 860 goals and 2078 points? Come on. How many NHL players have ever retired with those goals/points? I will give you a hint. The list ends with 1 name :)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would think being lazy and soft would be amongst the easier things to fix, but thats just me.
Really? I think exactly the opposite. I think being soft and lazy is a reflection of your demeanor and general personality, which is the hardest thing to change as someone's personality is obviously pretty ingrained--it's just who they are. You can work to change some of that stuff, but it isn't easy. On the other hand, technical things, those are easier to remedy; you can help a guy with his crossovers, or with his shot, or his ability to read the play in front of him and react accordingly. Technical skills can be improved upon through practice and coaching. A guy's personality, whether he shies away from contact or is easily knocked off his game from a couple checks, or whether he just doesn't have the drive to play hard every shift, that's a lot harder to address. IMO.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Really? I think exactly the opposite. I think being soft and lazy is a reflection of your demeanor and general personality, which is the hardest thing to change as someone's personality is obviously pretty ingrained--it's just who they are. You can work to change some of that stuff, but it isn't easy. On the other hand, technical things, those are easier to remedy; you can help a guy with his crossovers, or with his shot, or his ability to read the play in front of him and react accordingly. Technical skills can be improved upon through practice and coaching. A guy's personality, whether he shies away from contact or is easily knocked off his game from a couple checks, or whether he just doesn't have the drive to play hard every shift, that's a lot harder to address. IMO.

From hardest to fix to easiest
1. Hockey sense
2. Physical attributes (duh, but also something like being a fast skater)
3. Attitude
4. Specific technical skills

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Maybe - probably a case by case basis. I'm going off the old adage that you can't teach talent. A guy like Buchnevich has a ton of talent (although nowhere near Alexei Kovalev's, so Im not sure how their two names got linked earlier in the thread) - I think he just needs a bit of a wake up call, a change of mindset. I don't think people just are who they are as you state above when it comes to this. I think people can change is they get a big enough wake up call.

One day its going to come to a real crossroads with Buchnevich. I hold out hope that it'll click that he needs to move his feet and finish his checks in order to stay in the NHL. It clicks with some people....others not so much. We'll see.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think Buchnevich is lazy or anything but it's more of a figuring out how to play confidently in the NHL. He started the season strong, playing well along the boards and a more aggressive game, but that fell off later in the season. Perhaps it was the concussion, perhaps he wore down and needs to continue to work on getting stronger, perhaps he felt uncomfortable with his roll and where he stood with the coaches and it affected his confidence and his play on the ice. Whatever the case, I think we've seen him play the way we wish he would play and I'm hopeful that with the new coaching staff coaching him up and a fresh start, he'll be closer to the player we all hope for.

I think calling players "lazy" is in itself fairly lazy and is boiling down a pretty complex issue into a single word that makes us feel better.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Buchnevich is lazy and soft. Those two things usually can't be fixed. Said it for months now. I would love to see them deal him and another player to move up to 3 or 4 in this draft.

Buchnevich is neither lazy nor soft. The kid often played like he was scared to make a mistake. With good reason, too, as he was often thrown on the 4th line at the drop of a hat.

And, if he was being lazy or soft, he was being incredibly smart about it. He had one of the highest positive effects on possession of any player on our team, along with one of the highest points-per-60 on the team, as well.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I doubt JG/management will be moving him before they see him with Quinn as a coach.

All of this development talk doesn't just mean the super young kids like Chytil / Andersson or the guys we selct this draft or who will play in Hartford for a bit.

Buch will def be getting a different variety of attention than AV gave him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Buchnenvich under a new coach should be a nice sight. I think we have to hold off on judgments until we see him under Quinn. It's clear as day that AV and him did not get along

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Was he scared to make mistakes for Russia too? Because he looked like the same guy.

And the Kovalev comparisons are a joke I hope he is just as lazy and soft as kovy while putting up 1000 nhl pts. If he does that I won’t care. But I highly doubt he gets near that. When Kovalev got the puck you knew it. Buchnevich is lucky to even touch the puck at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad