Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This might be the most useless post ever made on hfboards

I mean really?

The point you made was to say that we should be patient with Buch because of his age. I agree, but you tried to paint it as unfair to compare him with guys like Crosby.

I merely pointed out that there are plenty of players younger than Buch that are outperforming him, to date, almost all of whom I would trade for Buch.

Buch might become a legit star. We don't know, yet, but no matter how much we want it to happen, it may not.

Saying he is not great yet is not an insult even if you take it that way.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
  • Matthews (1st overall)
  • Eichel (2nd)
  • Pastrnak (25th)
  • Barkov (2nd)
  • Marner (4th)
  • Boeser (23rd)
  • Barzal (16th)
  • Rantanen (10th)
  • Monahan (6th)
  • Draisaitl (4th)
  • Nylander (8th)
  • Tkachuk (6th)
  • Provorov (7th)
  • Keller (7th)
  • Point (79th)
  • Aho (35th)
  • Dubois (3rd)
  • Werenski (8th)

Considering nearly all of those are Top 10 draft choices, I'm not exactly why you're concerned they're outproducing him. Especially when Point is the only one picked lower than him

Reactions: Rangers in 7

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
  • Matthews (1st overall)
  • Eichel (2nd)
  • Pastrnak (25th)
  • Barkov (2nd)
  • Marner (4th)
  • Boeser (23rd)
  • Barzal (16th)
  • Rantanen (10th)
  • Monahan (6th)
  • Draisaitl (4th)
  • Nylander (8th)
  • Tkachuk (6th)
  • Provorov (7th)
  • Keller (7th)
  • Point (79th)
  • Aho (35th)
  • Dubois (3rd)
  • Werenski (8th)

Considering nearly all of those are Top 10 draft choices, I'm not exactly why you're concerned they're outproducing him. Especially when Point is the only one picked lower than him

Where did I say I was concerned?

I only pointed out that some here are assuming stardom for a player because he is young and talented.

It might happen, but the odds are against it.

I'll be ecstatic if he becomes a 1st liner, but I won't be crushed if he tops out as a 2nd liner.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
The point you made was to say that we should be patient with Buch because of his age. I agree, but you tried to paint it as unfair to compare him with guys like Crosby.

I merely pointed out that there are plenty of players younger than Buch that are outperforming him, to date, almost all of whom I would trade for Buch.

Buch might become a legit star. We don't know, yet, but no matter how much we want it to happen, it may not.

Saying he is not great yet is not an insult even if you take it that way.
My argument is your using like 98% of players picked well ahead of him and I still think he will be able to put up 70-80 points if used properly and he continues to fill out

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This kid is lazier than me on a Sunday afternoon.

Why people defend laziness is beyond me. Shouldn’t matter how old he is or what country he’s from. He’s got all the talent in the world. He doesn’t skate he doesn’t engage. He always looks like he’s pouting on the bench. Go earn your ice time before you get blown passed on the depth chart by the new kids coming in.

Reactions: Shadowtron

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This kid is lazier than me on a Sunday afternoon.

Why people defend laziness is beyond me. Shouldn’t matter how old he is or what country he’s from. He’s got all the talent in the world. He doesn’t skate he doesn’t engage. He always looks like he’s pouting on the bench. Go earn your ice time before you get blown passed on the depth chart by the new kids coming in.
The guy in your handle was often labeled lazy, disinterested and underachieving.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Please don’t do it. Don’t compare Alex Kovalev a big game player. A Cup winner. A horse. Maybe one of the most skilled guys to ever play the game Vs this guy. Please don’t do it.

If buchnevich was that talented I’d shut up. Since he’s not he’s gotta work a bit harder instead of acting like he’s the best guy on the rink and doesn’t need to.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Please don’t do it. Don’t compare Alex Kovalev a big game player. A Cup winner. A horse. Maybe one of the most skilled guys to ever play the game Vs this guy. Please don’t do it.

If buchnevich was that talented I’d shut up. Since he’s not he’s gotta work a bit harder instead of acting like he’s the best guy on the rink and doesn’t need to.

Not comparing their abilities. I just find it funny that you kill Buchnevich for being lazy and disinterested when the guy you name yourself after was arguably the catalyst for the "lazy Russian" stereotype. Sorry to strike a raw nerve.
^^^ Yuuup. And I say that as a guy who bought a Kovalev authentic jersey the moment the Rangers won the cup in '94.

And I'm sorry, @Kovalev27, your posting/opinion reeks of a hindsight judgment of Alexei the player. Go back and look at his stats as a Ranger – playing pre-trap with Messier, Graves, Gretzky, Leetch, etc. – before being traded to the Pens.

Not saying Buch doesn't have to work on this aspect of his game/personality; he absolutely does. Nor am I saying he's absolutely guaranteed to wind up with the same career as Alex; he by no means is.

But at this stage in their respective careers, the parallels are pretty friggin' close.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

But you weren't criticizing Buchnevich' talent. You were talking about how lazy he is. And Kovalev was also labeled as lazy. And labeled pretty f***ing dumb as well. Keenan once had him on the ice for a 2 minute shift to punish him, and he thought it was a compliment. :laugh:

I loved Kovalev as a player FYI

My honest opinion is that it's ridiculous to call players lazy. They aren't. Just because they don't skate like the wind in every direction, doesn't make them lazy. There's so much more to it than that. Lazy players will never make it to the NHL.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Buchnevich does not have half the talent of Alex Kovalev. If he did maybe I’d look past some of his laziness. But he doesn’t. He should have been sent to the minors. When you’re that skilled maybe you can get away with it a bit. Buchnevich is not. He’s entitled he and people here think he deserves top line ice time. He doesn’t.

When Alex Kovalev was on the ice you knew it. He made things happen. Buchnevich you don’t even know he’s dressed half the time. Comparing the two is silly.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nobody gets 1/10th the skills Kovy had without a crazy amount of practice (often alone). There may have been a handful of times where he mailed in the effort but the guy had to work extremely hard at other times to get to his level. Nobody is born with those hands, shot, or skating skills. 1000s of hours were put in trying to perfect them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nobody gets 1/10th the skills Kovy had without a crazy amount of practice (often alone). There may have been a handful of times where he mailed in the effort but the guy had to work extremely hard at other times to get to his level. Nobody is born with those hands, shot, or skating skills. 1000s of hours were put in trying to perfect them.

Yes, and the same goes for Buchnevich and every other player in the NHL. Calling them lazy is ridiculous

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Alex Kovalev was for sure a lazy player. He was so good though that he was still a first liner even when dogging it. The guy could have been the best player in the world if he cared to in my opinion. And yes, the 27 in my handle is inspired by him.

Buchnevich? I think we all have unrealistic expectations for him. He was a third round pick for a reason. If he settles in as a second liner we should be ecstatic.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It was Buch’s first real chance to represent Russia at that level. He had to take advantage of an opportunity to be on the national team. Was he ready to be at the top of his game physically or mentally? Not more than toward the end of the Rangers regular season. Would I make long term conclusions based on it? Absolutely not. He should take an advantage of the offseason again to get stronger, improve endurance and continue to work on his skills. Becoming a legitimate first liner is definitely within a reach. Maybe as soon as next season. Very possibly a season after it.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I personally think he's a 1st liner now. He was a perfect complementary piece for Kreids and Zibby, while getting his own offense in as well. Bear in mind also that he had a concussion this year. If we can get a full, healthy year from the 3, I think they'll all set career highs. The chemistry that line has is unreal

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I hear you have a player you're not happy with....
cut.jpg

Reactions: lucky13

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
But you weren't criticizing Buchnevich' talent. You were talking about how lazy he is. And Kovalev was also labeled as lazy. And labeled pretty ****ing dumb as well. Keenan once had him on the ice for a 2 minute shift to punish him, and he thought it was a compliment. :laugh:

I loved Kovalev as a player FYI

My honest opinion is that it's ridiculous to call players lazy. They aren't. Just because they don't skate like the wind in every direction, doesn't make them lazy. There's so much more to it than that. Lazy players will never make it to the NHL.
Kovy actually played a 5 minute shift once if I recall and he drew 2 separate penalties from the Bruins (I think) during that shift lol.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Labels are sometimes misleading. Sometimes one person says something and other people just parrot it. Mario was called a floater early in his career. Gretz and Mike Bossy were called all sorts of things as well. There are very few guys in the NHL that have not taken shifts off at times. All players mail in a shift here and there. Some do it too often but none of these players are robots. One former Ranger gets smothered with parroted compliments for his defensive ability while I saw him make some of the laziest defensive changes (instead of backchecking) around over the years. If a great player (not Buch) hustles like heck and puts up great production for 90% of his minutes but floats in 10% sometimes the 90% gets overlooked a bit while the 10% gets accentuated.

Reactions: Hellion

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are no weights in Soviet, Russia. Someone should send him some. Anyone know how that crow funding or whatever its called works? ;)

Reactions: Galvatron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad