Paul Steigerwald's contract

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
As I understand it - anecdotally only - the only person to blame for the Mike Lange/Paul Steigerwald shuffle is Mike Lange.

Lang was having some real issues there at the end of his TV tenure. Really glad he pulled himself together to continue his career via radio.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I don't know how anyone can dislike Errey. He knows what he's talking about, he see's absolutely everything and he is funny. A bit of a homer, but not nearly as much as Steiggy. A little homerism makes sense when you are on a local channel anyway.

Same here I actually love Errey... Love in the way the towns folk love the village idiot. But love none the less...

Steigerwald though... I've never wished such horrible things upon a person I have never met before. There are nights he makes watching the team I cherish and hold dear almost unwatchable. The unspeakable things I wish would happen to that man are mind numbing at times.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
A young Paul Steigerwald, as the Penguins director of marketing, in 1984 greeted the 18 year old Mario Lemieux at the airport and drove him in to town.

Steigerwald is not going anywhere. He is part of the original inner circle.

As for a possible eventual replacement for either Lange or Steigerwald...
...here are (local) guys I know off-hand that have done hockey play-b-play professionally (been paid for it over at least one full season):
Steve Kolbe (NHL Capitals)
Steve Mears (NHL Islanders, Shreveport Mudbugs)
Dan Kingerski (Johnstown Chiefs, Team USA)

or...Scott Ferrall (Atlanta Thrashers)...shake it uuupp!!!

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I want an exact count on how many times Steigerwald said, "Shoots it wide........on purpose!" this season. The man drives me insane.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The only thing I dislike about Steigy is how bi-polar his game calling is. If the Penguins are playing well to start a game, even if the game is tied, you'd think it was 7-0 in the third period. Then the other team scores or has a good shift and it's like the Penguins are playing historically bad. Just call the game. As fans we ebb and flow enough as it is, we don't need any help from the PBP guy.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Now that Pens are done try this...stream local radio PbP of other teams

I listened to the Chicago radio PbP last week..we complain about our guys but the CHI color-analyst read the same promo during every stoppage, which limited his time to give any actual analysis.
"...Hawks playoffs brought to you by the new Bradford Woods commercial development, a perfect place to start your business Saad had a great chance there but another good save by Rinne..."
after every stoppage

The only thing I dislike about Steigy is how bi-polar his game calling is. If the Penguins are playing well to start a game, even if the game is tied, you'd think it was 7-0 in the third period. Then the other team scores or has a good shift and it's like the Penguins are playing historically bad. Just call the game. As fans we ebb and flow enough as it is, we don't need any help from the PBP guy.
Yes this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

That's the only thing you dislike about him?

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Kolbe and Mears both voices sound very flat to me, no change in pitch even when they raise their voices or get excited. But then again so does Jim Hughson, sounds flat, and he's considered one of the best so I'm probably not a good judge.

By the way Kolbe was doing RMU hockey play-b-play, with Prisuta on color, he is a good at calling the play didn't hear too many flubs or mistakes but his voice and screaming goal calls were cringe worthy.
Mears sounds the same to me when he did Team USA.

last thing..we are very spoiled with Mike Lange, very spoiled...almost every PbP guy gives a long loud "Sccooorrree"...Mike's pause then "...heeee shooots and scores.." is unique in my experience, that split second pause, that split second of anticipation seems like an eternity. Listening to that growing up you get goose bumps everytime.

Last edited:

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
I can see Mears being groomed for the job and I'm cool with that - he's the least annoying guy we've had since Lange and Edzo and seems to know the game enough. Unfortunately Steiggy and Errey are both very young and could be here for a LONG time.

On Steiggy last night, his "the.....big.....long.....stick.....of Hal..Gill" got an "are you kidding me?" from my wife. Steiggy couldn't have said it any more sketchy.

Edzo is the reason "Mikey" got yanked from TV. They were the most annoying pair ever. They sounded like two drunks in a bar, funny only to themselves.

It was a nice reality check for Lange. He is a lot better after being vanquished to radio.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Edzo is the reason "Mikey" got yanked from TV. They were the most annoying pair ever. They sounded like two drunks in a bar, funny only to themselves.

It was a nice reality check for Lange. He is a lot better after being vanquished to radio.

the way you make this stuff up you should be in politics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad