Paul Steigerwald's contract

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If it works for you... it's good enough.

I probably take music a bit too seriously. That's what my bank account keeps screaming, anyway.

RDJN

Jun 21, 2012
Confirmed This works for NBC broadcasts with Comcast and Fios:

Go to your audio settings in your set top box and change the language to Spanish. Enjoy the broadcast as if you are in the arena - No announcers, just the sounds from the game feed. Makes watching hockey on tv a new experience.

It will be wonderful if this works on root. Will give it a try the next time the pirates are on.
Edit: just tried it on the game today, and it is no longer working... Maybe it just work on nbcsn, oh well.

Last edited:

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for the shout out to the Madden - Errey interview. VERY eye opening into how Errey feels about this team. Liked how he sounds like a regular HF'er with how he pissed off he was about the Despres trade.

This should be the exact link for those interested. Around the 30 minute mark. http://www.iheart.com/show/139-Mark-Madden-Super-Genius/?episode_id=27224287

Just reminded me of how much I love Errey's calls on TV. Really salvages the crap that Steigy spews. I especially love it when they get into a passive aggressive altercation. I've noticed a bunch of times where you can hear in Errey's voice that Steigy is wrong. Errey will hem and haw about it though "Well, I don't know, etc." He seems to be trying to be polite about it, tiptoeing around Steigy's feelings.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
ya I get why people care more about it than I do. Its jut not for me. Music is background noise for me.

I... Almost hear you, while music can be appropriate while reading (classical), ****ing (ambient, techno, good ol' rock n' roll or whatever you're into that has a nice rythm...), meditating (new age), the only time i tolerate/appreciate constant sound in the background (however eclectic it may be) is at parties.

Otherwise it's usually pure garbage to me, especially when i need to focus. The worst kind being big hits with a schtick, which tends to ressemble advertising after a while (repeat ad nauseam).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I have never been a Doc fan.

Doc is annoying, I hope he sticks to NBC or wherever.

Doc is actually a good play-caller. Decent voice, good goal calls, good when games go down to teh wire. His problem: the bizarre verbiage he uses (and sometimes invents) in an effort to describe what is happening on the ice, or maybe to sound dramatic... something. I don't know what he's going for but it doesn't work. The words he uses distract from the call rather than adding to it.

No Doc, I'm pretty sure that player did not just "sashe" with the puck. Runway models sashe. Hockey players rip, flip, pass, redirect, deflect, shoot, deke, pivot, any number of things... but they don't sashe. :laugh:

That and about 8 other off-the-wall descriptions that he uses approximately 18 times per game. Each.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yeah but his don't even make sense half the time. They're just strange. And not in a Yogi Berra sorta way that makes you chuckle, or even laugh at him (like we do with Errey and his endless phallic and back-door references). More like "What did he just say?... I don't get that."

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah but his don't even make sense half the time. They're just strange. And not in a Yogi Berra sorta way that makes you chuckle or at least laugh at him (like we do with Errey and his endless phallic and back-door references). More like "What did he just say?... I don't get that."

what is your opinion of mike lange?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I prefer to watch games with a radio description so i can do other stuff in the meanwhile... Since the descriptor is 100% onto what's going on you know when to get back when good **** happens + it gives you a couple of secs to run from what you were doing & back to the screen.

Now add a good radio analyst & you're into business!

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'll never understand the love for Gary Thorne, he has a good voice for dramatic moments, but he doesn't know anything about hockey. He constantly got players names wrong, sometimes he'd call the names of players who weren't even playing or other times he'd throw out some random fact that was obviously wrong, like saying Pierre Turgeon won a World Cup with Team USA.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Doc is actually a good play-caller. Decent voice, good goal calls, good when games go down to teh wire. His problem: the bizarre verbiage he uses (and sometimes invents) in an effort to describe what is happening on the ice, or maybe to sound dramatic... something. I don't know what he's going for but it doesn't work. The words he uses distract from the call rather than adding to it.

No Doc, I'm pretty sure that player did not just "sashe" with the puck. Runway models sashe. Hockey players rip, flip, pass, redirect, deflect, shoot, deke, pivot, any number of things... but they don't sashe. :laugh:

That and about 8 other off-the-wall descriptions that he uses approximately 18 times per game. Each.

The only Doc-ism that grates my ears is "waffleboarded", when referring to a blocker save. The rest of his patented phrases I either don't notice or mind, or I find endearing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
emrickdrive.jpg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Levy sucked. Everything was a "centering feed." I like Dave Strader a lot for some reason.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Levy sucked. Everything was a "centering feed." I like Dave Strader a lot for some reason.

Strader is decent. I just liked the ESPN theme song really haha. And NHL 2Nite. Access to hockey was easier back then. Now you need digital cable or satellite to watch games and highlight shows.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
sad to say mike lange has some issues he is dealing with right now. i would very much doubt he is doing pens games 2-3 years from now.

Maybe I'm reading something into this, but I have thought that Mike Lange has not looked healthy in the past year. I attributed to him getting older, but perhaps he does have health issues.

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
Maybe I'm reading something into this, but I have thought that Mike Lange has not looked healthy in the past year. I attributed to him getting older, but perhaps he does have health issues.

I thought it was common knowledge that he is an alcoholic...? Is that just catching up to him?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Let's just say that the only one who gets smoked more on the Pittsburgh Morehouses than Mike Lange is Ben Lovejoy.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Everybody knows my son is a Devils fan, right? He loves Doc. One of my favorite trolls ever ... told him Doc had been in an accident. He was all O Noes ... I said, yeah, on his driiiiiiiiiiive to work he Hit.The.lampPost. :laugh: He didn't find it funny, for some reason :laugh:

Personally, Doc is my least favorite announcer. Not a fan of that old timey baseball on the radio style he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad