Rumor: Paul Coffey Joining Oilers

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Is it now easier to name OBC players who haven't had a job with the Oilers?
Could someone please name a club who have done the same and had success. I can think of Montreal, Philly, Islanders who tried and didn't have success.
I was thinking about this too. The Islanders weren’t as bad because they didn’t let it go on for long aside from Snow. Philadelphia was bad and it’s lasted a long time but to my recollection it’s just been Clarke and Holmgren. Montreal was a complete disaster. This crap doesn’t work.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was thinking about this too. The Islanders weren’t as bad because they didn’t let it go on for long aside from Snow. Philadelphia was bad and it’s lastest a long time but to my recollection it’s just been Clarke and Holmgren. Montreal was a complete disaster. This crap doesn’t work.

Well Chiarelli isn't working either. Doesn't seem Oiler fans can catch a break either way.

Just incompetence all around. Can we for once just have a "normal" GM who doesn't do stupid things? We haven't had sound management since 2006.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well Chiarelli isn't working either. Doesn't seem Oiler fans can catch a break either way.

Just incompetence all around. Can we for once just have a "normal" GM who doesn't do stupid things? We haven't had sound management since 2006.
I’ll agree with you on this. It’s been tough to be a fan for a long time.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm neutral to this hire.

Yes it's OBC but I honestly don't care if it makes a positive difference to the results of this team going forward.

If he can help the D (and the team in general) improve then OBC or not... it's a good hire... if he does nothing useful in actually helping the team improve their play and actually produce more wins... then yes it's a useless hire.

Remains to be seen which it will be.

Coaches/trainers/development personnel are all off the cap and it's only Katz' wallet that takes a hit... so any and all possible help to make this team better is welcomed imo.

Reactions: VainGretzky

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Listening to Bob McKenzie and Frank Saravelli, maybe getting Paul Coffey isn't such a bad thing.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Could you give a couple of examples as to what was said?

really like one thing that was said by serevalli. he said he and his son were watching some level of hockey with some really good fast skaters. his son said wow, these guys are fast! coffey basically said ya, but they haven't gotten anything done in 6 mins! he basically thinks teams have gotten too robotic and players have lost creativity and ability to think with the puck to create. I agree and I see some of that here... this is likely how the oil have great advanced stats but there is NO substance to that "possession" other than when Connor is on the ice and at times drai. They're great (5 on 5) at "following the system" and getting good corsi/possession etc. but have not much hockey skills and creativity to actually DO something dangerous with it other than fire harmless shots on net. Also this is another reason advanced stats are misleading and people should be wary of it.

hopefully coffey can rectify this?...

basically said coffey is NOT a yes man and has contradictory opinions that this organization need.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
really like one thing that was said by serevalli. he said he and his son were watching some level of hockey with some really good fast skaters. his son said wow, these guys are fast! coffey basically said ya, but they haven't gotten anything done in 6 mins! he basically thinks teams have gotten too robotic and players have lost creativity and ability to think with the puck to create. I agree and I see some of that here... this is likely how the oil have great advanced stats but there is NO substance to that "possession" other than when Connor is on the ice and at times drai. They're great (5 on 5) at "following the system" and getting good corsi/possession etc. but have not much hockey skills and creativity to actually DO something dangerous with it other than fire harmless shots on net. Also this is another reason advanced stats are misleading and people should be wary of it.

basically said coffey is NOT a yes man and has contradictory opinions that this organization need.
This is encouraging to hear. My issue with this has been what his commitment level is for a guy who has waited this long to coach. If he is committed to it then I guess I’m willing to give it a chance.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I've noticed that too. The Oilers have had many a game where the SOG and PT favoured them, sometimes by a large margin, which certainly should please the Statzi crowd, but the end result was a loss. The other team seemed to have the better looks and thus the goals, while our shots were eminently all very stoppable and have made average goalies look like all stars. I'm skeptical as to whether you can "coach" creativity into a player, but, no harm no foul is how I look at this move.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
yeah, I've softened my stance on this hire

the optics look bad sure...but its not like he's coaching in any capacity

any little bit helps

I'm kind of here too. I think skills trainer is a lot more realistic than a full on coaching position. I think most of the greats have little tips and secrets that aren't known by almost any other NHLers, so having them as a resource can't hurt. But man, I'm still waiting for him to suddenly get a promotion for no reason cause Oilers.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Why is it a bad hire? Name me all of the available skills coaches?

Oh noooo. The Players on the ice with their own individual brains are going to somehow have some spell cast on them to play bad because an old boy was hired lol.

Reminds me of the moronic comments I hear about the old boys club and dynasty and how it' hholding this franchise back.

Do mess and co sneak magic potions in the players drinks to make them play bad?

maybe look at your own posting history before calling other people's opinions moronic.
try and remember you're no better or smarter than anyone else here.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Could you give a couple of examples as to what was said?
They said that Coffey is smart and not a yes man, so he'll point out where the players can improve. They've noticed tendencies where things can be done a lot better. They think he'll be a good addition....that kind of thing. One said that he'll be able to help the forwards and not just the power play but also the penalty kill.

When unbiased observers like McKenzie in particular think this a good hire it causes me to view this differently.

Reactions: North and LaGu

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I've noticed that too. The Oilers have had many a game where the SOG and PT favoured them, sometimes by a large margin, which certainly should please the Statzi crowd, but the end result was a loss. The other team seemed to have the better looks and thus the goals, while our shots were eminently all very stoppable and have made average goalies look like all stars. I'm skeptical as to whether you can "coach" creativity into a player, but, no harm no foul is how I look at this move.

Absolutely. I've said it before but they just don't move the puck around with enough skill and the guys without the puck just aren't as offensively "smart" enough or "aware" enough to continuously move to clever positions to open up great chances. You can see it clearly on the pp let alone 5 on 5. it's so robotic and everyone is so stationary waiting for their cue to do certain things. It's like they're acting out a play they've rehearsed. There's little spontaneity and that's where the skill and creativity comes in. It's like their hockey brains just have no idea what to do outside of the system. You NEED this flow and constant movement of all players on the ice filling areas and opening up others etc and have each player know how to handle and put pucks into good areas to not only maintain possession but to open up very dangerous offensive chances. Not only will you create more time and space for the shooter when he gets the shot but you start to make the goalie move around more trying to predict a less predictable puck moving play... which makes his legs and mind more tired and gets him just THAT much more out of position and just THAT little bit more not quite set in his stance when the shots come... and that makes ALL the difference in the world.... it could be the difference between winning 5-2 or losing 2-1.

Right now I believe for the most part the Oilers offensive attack is too predictable for the opposing defence and goalies. Sure they'll Own the puck more and generate shots but it's relatively easy to predict, contain and stop. It seemingly at times looks like the opponents don't waste much energy trying to regain the puck from the Oil and just wait for them to fire a harmless shot on net and buy their time to gain possession eventually and go back up the ice with a more dangerous chance against the Oil. Almost like Ali's rope-a dope.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seravalli's interview on 1260 suggests Coffey will be more than just a "skills coach".

In the end, I'm honestly open to anyone that can tell McLellan and his BFF they are doing something wrong. 28th place PP, 31st place PK. Static game plan, breakouts with everyone standings still (classic winger standing just inside the blue lie doing nothing until someone rings a puck around to them, and then they try a lazy pass to a guy rushing up the middle). Team is rarely ready to play a game. 4th line out after we score, after commercial breaks with OZ faceoffs, and just key moments in general for no reason. No line matching, burying the 1st line with struggling D pairs. Just so many things this coaching staff does that is stupid. Random chimp from a zoo could accomplish what those guys have this season. I really welcome anyone coming in to point stuff out to them.

Come on Coffey, be our hero. Tell it like it is!

Last edited:

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I feel this thread will somehow hit over a hundred pages.
Can't deny the dedication of the loyal Oil.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know if this just me or what but Chiarelli and McLellan really make it sound like Coffey is just here for the skill development of the defensemen in the organization but it sounds like he will be doing more. During the Saturday game the Sportsnet panel, specifically Kypreos described the role like he will take a look internally and voice his opinion. To add to that he said he also isn't here to push pucks. Not the role that Chia and TMac described at all. In Friedman's 31 thoughts he also describes a role that is more than just skill development. Says that it strikes him as an Oilers searching for fresh opinion on what has happened and who they can depend on. Then as @oobga said Seravelli suggests he will be more than a skill coach.

It really sounds like Coffey was hired to do an audit of this organization from top to bottom to see what is wrong with this team.

Here is the link to both sources I mentioned:

Kypreos on Coffey's role

Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Thought 10)

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't know if this just me or what but Chiarelli and McLellan really make it sound like Coffey is just here for the skill development of the defensemen in the organization but it sounds like he will be doing more. During the Saturday game the Sportsnet panel, specifically Kypreos described the role like he will take a look internally and voice his opinion. To add to that he said he also isn't here to push pucks. Not the role that Chia and TMac described at all. In Friedman's 31 thoughts he also describes a role that is more than just skill development. Says that it strikes him as an Oilers searching for fresh opinion on what has happened and who they can depend on. Then as @oobga said Seravelli suggests he will be more than a skill coach.

It really sounds like Coffey was hired to do an audit of this organization from top to bottom to see what is wrong with this team.

Kypreos on Coffey's role

I have a feeling that the org sent out a vague leak to McKenzie because they weren't sure how bad the reaction would be. Then, after everyone making fun of them all day, they settled on selling Coffey as just a skills coach like it was not that big of a deal.

Maybe it's a good thing though. The org has seemed to be so painfully tonedeaf about things, maybe they finally realise how much they embarrass themselves. Maybe next time, just don't even announce anything. If you want to add someone, whatever, just don't draw attention. Try to impress people with actual results, not the names of the people you're hiring. No one cares about that anymore.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Seravalli's interview on 1260 suggests Coffey will be more than just a "skills coach".

In the end, I'm honestly open to anyone that can tell McLellan and his BFF they are doing something wrong. 28th place PP, 31st place PK. Static game plan, breakouts with everyone standings still (classic winger standing just inside the blue lie doing nothing until someone rings a puck around to them, and then they try a lazy pass to a guy rushing up the middle). Team is rarely ready to play a game. 4th line out after we score, after commercial breaks with OZ faceoffs, and just key moments in general for no reason. No line matching, burying the 1st line with struggling D pairs. Just so many things this coaching staff does that is stupid. Random chimp from a zoo could accomplish what those guys have this season. I really welcome anyone coming in to point stuff out to them.

Come on Coffey, be our hero. Tell it like it is!
I don’t think anybody that follows this team more than casually really thinks Coffey has been hired to be just a skills coach. There have been other high profile guys hired for minor roles who got big promotions pretty quickly. Let’s just hope this one works.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

Kypreos on Coffey's role

Didnt we just have a top to bottom audit? What a pathetic team if we need another one only 2 years later.

Maybe this time the audit could tell katz he's the biggest problem.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
upload_2018-1-24_10-53-3.png

Oh boy...

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Sigh...it'd be great if he could find a fountain of youth and strap on some skates to be their #1D instead. As disappointing as this seeming inevitability is, given the past former player 'appointments', I'm sure he'd be a much better coach than McLellan and Co who lived off their undeserved 'successes' with stacked Sharks teams.

Maybe he'll be the interim coach and go back to his current role when they hire Quenneville (which would put this team over the top...with better management to go along with it).

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Haha I was just gonna say I bet Coffey is the coach by the end of the year before seeing that screenshot. Who cares, just get someone else with a different perspective, not like it's gonna get worse. As long as he's the interim coach.

Edit: Hell, I'm on board with a Coffey, Messier, Gretzky coaching staff for the rest of the year. Maybe they can instil some pride in these guys.

Reactions: Consultant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad