Rumor: Paul Coffey Joining Oilers

EakinsMVP

Apr 23, 2015
"Wish i was around for the Gretz/Coffey era" .....

LOicMJA.gif

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was just a kid when this was all going on, but Gretzky was still playing in the NHL when Edmonton almost lost its team was he not? He didn’t become part owner of the coyotes until after?
The team was never really on solid ground while EIG owned it. Cash calls that were made public pretty much every year. Low dollar. They could have used some kind of support from Gretzky, if not financial then some other would have been appreciated. This going on just a few year after the Houston scare. He wasn’t interested and that was his choice. It was still frustrating listening to him talk about the need to “save hockey in the desert” when he never showed any interest in saving some of the Canadian markets like Edmonton or Winnipeg or Quebec City. Like I said in my previous post, it rubbed plenty of people the wrong way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I suggested when Chiarelli was hired, after we saw Lowe and Mactavish retained, was what he was promised and what the reality of his situation actually is may be two different things. The only way we’d know for sure is if he left earlier than expected on his own accord. Coffey’s hiring seems like a decision made above his head to me. Who knows, maybe he’s just resigned himself to what the job really is because the price is right.

I’m not sure who, other than Katz and Lowe, would be interested in bringing in a 56 year old explayer with next to no professional coaching experience who just happens to be one of the boys on the bus. That it’s Paul Coffey is irrelevant. He was a phenomenal player but can he teach? We have no idea because he hasn’t shown any real interest in doing this in the 17 years since he retired. I’d rather be giving these jobs to guys who have already shown they can do them. Looks to me like this organization isn’t moving forward until all these guys are too old to actually be involved.

The Penguins offered Coffey a job as a special teams coach several years ago, he turned them down because he was too busy.

Lots of teams would hire Paul Coffey, don't kid yourself.

Gretzky was still playing in the 90s and probably was still a little upset at Pocklington selling him off like a piece of meat. And sure saying stuff like "save the Coyotes" is somewhat relevant when you are part owner of the team, lol, what else is he supposed to say?

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Penguins offered Coffey a job as a special teams coach several years ago, he turned them down because he was too busy.

Lots of teams would hire Paul Coffey, don't kid yourself.

Gretzky was still playing in the 90s and probably was still a little upset at Pocklington selling him off like a piece of meat. And sure saying stuff like "save the Coyotes" is somewhat relevant when you are part owner of the team, lol, what else is he supposed to say?
It was disappointing to see an iconic hockey player not give a shit about small market Canadian teams. Especially one who had at one time played and had the success he had in one.

Gretzky was such an important hockey player back then. He was much more important and respected by the people in the game than Sidney Crosby is today. His silence on what was happening up here back then disappointed people here and it only made it worse that he thought hockey in Phoenix was worth saving instead.

Edit: somehow I missed your first paragraph and it proves my point. Coffey wasn’t interested in coaching when he retired from playing. I’m sure there was plenty of interest in a recently retired former iconic player. That’s when guys that want to try coaching as a career change do it. Now suddenly, almost twenty years later he is taking it up? Doesn’t seem too committed to me about coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zguy370

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder what Lee Fogolin is up to?

Someone get Steve Kelly on the line, we gotta get more 80s flunkies for Katz to hang out with.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No please. Giving the role that Coffey has with the team, please explain how this is a bad thing. Tell me how having one of the best defensemen of all time around to help our D and prospects, is going to hurt the team!
Hard to really be sure what Coffey’s role is. Mactavish and Howson were originally said to have very small roles when they were brought back and then suddenly they didn’t. It’s been mentioned already in this thread but it’s possible his role is being downplayed a bit because the reaction to the McKenzie tweet wasn’t very positive. It isn’t the first time the organization didn’t read the room right when they made a hire.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No please. Giving the role that Coffey has with the team, please explain how this is a bad thing. Tell me how having one of the best defensemen of all time around to help our D and prospects, is going to hurt the team!

I'm not going to judge one way or another yet. It's hard to predict how these great former players will do as coaches. Some really struggle; because of their excellence the game was too simple for them - they'll tell the players to just "go faster" or "make this pass" when 95% of players can't physically process the game that way. Some are quite good because they can break the game down and communicate that effectively to the players.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I have no issues with this move what so ever. I think it could only do us good esp were we are at right now and how we lack offensive dman.

and i honestly think its only a matter of time before Gretzky is named GM. He might not of been the best coach but i can almost bet he would excel at the gm level

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Does he have experience in skills development? Just curious....What has he been doing since not being a player that may make him qualified for this role?

No offense but because you were one of the best, doesn't mean you have the capability to teach others. Especially at the pro level.

Reactions: rboomercat90

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Does he have experience in skills development? Just curious....What has he been doing since not being a player that may make him qualified for this role?

No offense but because you were one of the best, doesn't mean you have the capability to teach others. Especially at the pro level.

I wiki'd this

"Post-playing career[edit]

While coaching a game for the Toronto Marlboros midget ‘AAA’ team in February 2014, Coffey was assessed a gross misconduct penalty for a discriminatory slur. TheGreater Toronto Hockey League investigated the misconduct penalty and Coffey was handed a three-game suspension.[7]Coffey is a co-owner of the OJHL's Pickering Panthers.[8]"

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Came in here to read about people b****ing and moaning and whining about a skills coach and OMG OBC!!!! This team is never going anywhere b/c the Oilers hired a HOF Dman to try to help!

Did not disappoint.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
If you don't see this hire was made as a PR stunt, you just aren't getting it.

It may not fool many here. But it was done to take away from coach and team constantly being asked about this season and it's shortcomings.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Came in here to read about people b****ing and moaning and whining about a skills coach and OMG OBC!!!! This team is never going anywhere b/c the Oilers hired a HOF Dman to try to help!

Did not disappoint.

ok smart guy, why is this such a good hire?

maybe people are complaining as instead of getting an experienced coach who knows todays game, we're getting a katz fan boy hire of whom the game has passed by. this is no Charlie Huddy.

dumb hiring . The optics are bad and there is no evidence that coffey can teach anything to someone over the age of 15. hire a skills coach? fine. how about one that shows evidence of knowing how pro hockey is played in 2018.

I'd trust Coffey to sell me a Kia, but not much else. if this was such a good hire, then you'd think having Gretzky around also might have brought something positive to the team.
same thing as this. some old has-been who will do nothing to make the team better.

and you're wondering why people are moaning and whinging. it's for good reason.
crappy owner enabling the same crappy decisions. maybe we can also bring in anderson to run over Smyth once more.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its a good move if hes just helping out the D. But given this organizations track record I bet hes on a fast track to upper management now. Watch him replace Chiarelli

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The optics of this hire, as many peope gave said, don't look the best but I'm always willing to have an open mind and give Coffey a chance.

A lot of posters don't like how he's never coached at the NHL level, but a lot of goalie coaches have never played one minute of NHL hockey in their lives and they're teaching goalies how to stop NHL shots (Dustin Schwartz included). Not every goalie wants to coach the next wave after they retire but one would think they'd outnumber the goalie coaches who never played at the NHL level.

It's not like Coffey was hired as an associate or assistant coach or in some management role. In my opinion, the Oilers have some of the best d-prospects they have drafted and have in their own system in many years. Nurse isn't exactly a prospect anymore but he is still developing. He, Bear and Jones will do nothing but improve under Coffey's tutelage in my opinion. If Coffey has some input into the special teams, he can't do any worse than what Thing 1 and Thing 2 have managed to accomplish this season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People who also say Coffey only played well "cuz 80s, lol" ...

Coffey, way past his prime approaching 40 was still an impact D in the 1999-2000 season for the Hurricanes, 11 goals and 40 points in only 69 games that year, fairly comparable to Chris Pronger's 05-06 here.

In the midst of the "Dead Puck Era", Coffey had 74 points in 76 games (lol) for the Red Wings in the 95-96 season ... that was his 18th season in the league.

I remember watching some TV special where amateur/wanna be athletes got a chance to go against retired pros, and the basketball guy did fairly well against a real retired NBA player, but they put the hockey guy up against Coffey and it was freaking embarrassing, lol, Coffey retired for several years at that point, just toyed with this guy like a child, dude couldn't even get the puck off of Coffey.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Paul Coffey would wipe the floor with any defensemen playing today or anchoring a teams blueline. With the rules as is, a prime Coffey would eat this league up. Get real HFkids. Dead puck era he was putting up PPG seasons in his 30's.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Huddy was "OBC" and I'd take him back as a defensive coach right about now.

Reactions: nabob

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Huddy was "OBC" and I'd take him back as a defensive coach right about now.

Only guy I would as well
for those who dont see a problem with this hiring

I look at it slightly different as to why I do not like it

A few media guys are comparing this hiring to the Scott Niedermyer hiring with the Ducks

for me this is comparing apples and oranges

Niedermyer, years before he retired was involved off the ice with summer hockey camps and he attending coaching symposiums to learn the ins and outs of coaching--so before he got hired by the ducks--he spent time before he retired looking at his next step

since Coffey retired 16 years ago--how much time has he spent doing any style of coaching? He has been guest speaker at a few hockey camps where he was flown in on the last day to talk to the kids--but I have not found any evidence of him actually coaching or developing players at any level since he quit. With Niedermyer I have--him and his brother ran hockey school in (I think in Abbotsford) for years where they were hands on and it was not just their name on the school- with Coffey I have not seen the evidence of this.

Being Paul Coffey will only go so far--there is a reason why Huddy's name comes up--he saw what Coffey did and studied it and uses that in what he has done in the 20 years since he quit and he has coached every year since he retired teaching D guys how to shutdown guys like coffey.

What has Coffey done in the last 16 years since he quit? The game has changed

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
ok smart guy, why is this such a good hire?

maybe people are complaining as instead of getting an experienced coach who knows todays game, we're getting a katz fan boy hire of whom the game has passed by. this is no Charlie Huddy.

dumb hiring . The optics are bad and there is no evidence that coffey can teach anything to someone over the age of 15. hire a skills coach? fine. how about one that shows evidence of knowing how pro hockey is played in 2018.

I'd trust Coffey to sell me a Kia, but not much else. if this was such a good hire, then you'd think having Gretzky around also might have brought something positive to the team.
same thing as this. some old has-been who will do nothing to make the team better.

and you're wondering why people are moaning and whinging. it's for good reason.
crappy owner enabling the same crappy decisions. maybe we can also bring in anderson to run over Smyth once more.

Why is it a bad hire? Name me all of the available skills coaches?

Oh noooo. The Players on the ice with their own individual brains are going to somehow have some spell cast on them to play bad because an old boy was hired lol.

Reminds me of the moronic comments I hear about the old boys club and dynasty and how it' hholding this franchise back.

Do mess and co sneak magic potions in the players drinks to make them play bad?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Only guy I would as well
for those who dont see a problem with this hiring

I look at it slightly different as to why I do not like it

A few media guys are comparing this hiring to the Scott Niedermyer hiring with the Ducks

for me this is comparing apples and oranges

Niedermyer, years before he retired was involved off the ice with summer hockey camps and he attending coaching symposiums to learn the ins and outs of coaching--so before he got hired by the ducks--he spent time before he retired looking at his next step

since Coffey retired 16 years ago--how much time has he spent doing any style of coaching? He has been guest speaker at a few hockey camps where he was flown in on the last day to talk to the kids--but I have not found any evidence of him actually coaching or developing players at any level since he quit. With Niedermyer I have--him and his brother ran hockey school in (I think in Abbotsford) for years where they were hands on and it was not just their name on the school- with Coffey I have not seen the evidence of this.

Being Paul Coffey will only go so far--there is a reason why Huddy's name comes up--he saw what Coffey did and studied it and uses that in what he has done in the 20 years since he quit and he has coached every year since he retired teaching D guys how to shutdown guys like coffey.

What has Coffey done in the last 16 years since he quit? The game has changed
Well said. This is my concern as well.

Coffey hasn’t put in the work to learn how to coach since he retired in 2001. That’s a huge red flag for me. If he was serious about a career in coaching he would have. Paul Coffey the player impressed the hell out of me. He was an iconic defense man, one of the greatest of all time. Paul Coffey the coach? Not the same thing. Playing and coaching isn’t the same thing. That’s a lesson we’ve already learned as fans of this organization. Coffey the player put in thousands of hours developing his skill. That’s how he got so good. Coffey the coach hasn’t put any effort since he retired learning how to teach. Why would we think he’d be good at it?

For those of you who think it’s no big deal to make these questionable hires and that there’s nothing to lose with them, you’re wrong. If the organization has recognized a problem then it needs to be addressed. By making a questionable or patronage hiring it takes the position away from somebody who may actually be able to help. Another 10 years or so and these guys will be retirement age, maybe things will start changing after that.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Is it now easier to name OBC players who haven't had a job with the Oilers?
Could someone please name a club who have done the same and had success. I can think of Montreal, Philly, Islanders who tried and didn't have success.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well said. This is my concern as well.

Coffey hasn’t put in the work to learn how to coach since he retired in 2001. That’s a huge red flag for me. If he was serious about a career in coaching he would have. Paul Coffey the player impressed the hell out of me. He was an iconic defense man, one of the greatest of all time. Paul Coffey the coach? Not the same thing. Playing and coaching isn’t the same thing. That’s a lesson we’ve already learned as fans of this organization. Coffey the player put in thousands of hours developing his skill. That’s how he got so good. Coffey the coach hasn’t put any effort since he retired learning how to teach. Why would we think he’d be good at it?

For those of you who think it’s no big deal to make these questionable hires and that there’s nothing to lose with them, you’re wrong. If the organization has recognized a problem then it needs to be addressed. By making a questionable or patronage hiring it takes the position away from somebody who may actually be able to help. Another 10 years or so and these guys will be retirement age, maybe things will start changing after that.
it actually doesn't take away a position from anyone though. Organizations can be different sizes. If there were a great defense skills coach that became available, the Oilers could have both him and Coffey on board, and Katz is the type of owner that doesn't mind spending money on development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad