Player Discussion Paul Byron

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It will be very interesting to see what happens with him. He has definitely played well enough to get a pretty decent next contract. I'm just not sure that we should be the team to give him that payout. Similar situation to Patches, really. Same age also I believe. He also plays a position that we actually have pretty good depth at. I really like him as a player, but it might not be the best move to keep him beyond next season. I think I would keep him and re-evaluate at next years trade deadline UNLESS some team offers up significantly more than what we will get at the deadline (I think we can get something similar to what we got for Pleks/Weiss).

If someone offers us a prospect who Timmins feels will definitely be as good as Danault, I take the deal. But usually such prospects are offered for vets at the deadline.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It all depends on how much Byron is looking for on his next contract. If we can get him signed on a decent contract I'd keep him around, he can play in any situation or on any line and plays well. But if he's looking to get paid for the last two years I would just look to trade him, we have young guys on the wing who can play more minutes and the money should be spent to improve our D/C.

Reactions: WinterLion

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It all depends on how much Byron is looking for on his next contract. If we can get him signed on a decent contract I'd keep him around, he can play in any situation or on any line and plays well. But if he's looking to get paid for the last two years I would just look to trade him, we have young guys on the wing who can play more minutes and the money should be spent to improve our D/C.
He will clearly look for a big contract and I don't blame him to be honest, he grinded his way his whole career, this guy should get rewarded!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hopefully we can flip Byron for something nice this offseason. Back to back 20 goal seasons and on a sweetheart contract...

Yeah, I like Lehkonen Danault Hudon as a 3rd line and Byron shouldn't be more than a 3rd liner. But, I don't see there being a big market for him.

The main reason he might be worth moving for a 2nd is it helps the inevitable tank next year. Case in point tonight as he just again contributes to us getting another loser point.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Only three Habs met or exceeded expectations this season: Gallagher. Byron. and Niemi. No rookie was a delight, although Scherbak has shown something lately. (Sorry, Houdon't fans, he's still Lavalese.) We need the draft to be productive (hopefully, yielding another Sergachev!?). I expect Ryan Poehling to improve the center situation a bit. Perhaps Drouin will live up to expectation.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Only three Habs met or exceeded expectations this season: Gallagher. Byron. and Niemi. No rookie was a delight, although Scherbak has shown something lately. (Sorry, Houdon't fans, he's still Lavalese.) We need the draft to be productive (hopefully, yielding another Sergachev!?). I expect Ryan Poehling to improve the center situation a bit. Perhaps Drouin will live up to expectation.

Petry and Mete?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I feel like its the perfect time to trade high on Byron. Hes prob gonna maintain this 20 goal pace cuz of the new changing NHL relying heavily on speed, and hes prob worth a lot...

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

????? I think he's done pretty well given the circumstances

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Petry hahahaha, has his minus reached triple digits yet?
And you're saying that's on him? The #1 defenseman of bad teams always have horrible +/- since they're on the ice a lot. +/- is a horrible stat for judging anything.

Petry's been our #1 defenseman since Weber went down, and I don't just mean in terms of ice time.

Reactions: schnapshot

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
And you're saying that's on him? The #1 defenseman of bad teams always have horrible +/- since they're on the ice a lot. +/- is a horrible stat for judging anything.

Petry's been our #1 defenseman since Weber went down, and I don't just mean in terms of ice time.

Yea a lot is on him, he's helping the tank though.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Not only has Petry had to play a ton of tough minutes, he's had to play them with garbage like Alzner/Benn/Schlemko.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Not only has Petry had to play a ton of tough minutes, he's had to play them with garbage like Alzner/Benn/Schlemko.

Yea he's definitely over his head playing those tough minutes, every time there is a goal scored against us seems Petry is always there. Have to admit that's quite an impressive feat for a D to get over 40 pts and still be able to lead the league in the minus dep't.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Yea he's definitely over his head playing those tough minutes, every time there is a goal scored against us seems Petry is always there. Have to admit that's quite an impressive feat for a D to get over 40 pts and still be able to lead the league in the minus dep't.

Erik Karlsson has 65 points and is minus 25, when you're on a bad team even very good D end up having high minuses.

You can throw an elite D like Drew Doughty on this team and he'd even end up with a low plus minus given he'd be playing with guys like Drouin/Logan Shaw/McCarron at centre, plus having Karl Alzner rolling around the ice and doing snow angels half the game.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Erik Karlsson has 65 points and is minus 25, when you're on a bad team even very good D end up having high minuses.

You can throw an elite D like Drew Doughty on this team and he'd even end up with a low plus minus given he'd be playing with guys like Drouin/Logan Shaw/McCarron at centre, plus having Karl Alzner rolling around the ice and doing snow angels half the game.

Erik Karlsson is having a bad year also, but I wouldn't compare him to Petry. There are a lot of bad players on this team and I'd include Petry in that group, not as bad as Alzner and Benn but still horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00