Player Discussion Paul Byron

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I'd be fine with that. He's one of the only player that probably has more value to us than to other teams.

He's an extremely cap cheap forward that does his damage at even strength and is dangerous on PK minutes. He's pretty much the perfect guy to play a depth behind the superstar forwards real contenders have.

I'm not certain if he can be sold to them, but on paper he's exactly what some teams need to push themselves a little higher.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Currently, Pacioretty is due to hit 50 points despite being asleep for half of the season. That's one mark of an elite offensive player. They can suck balls on the eye test but still produce at a pace that is deemed respectable. Byron could only dream of having half of Pacioretty's abilities. Regular season Pacioretty can be quite dominant when he feels like it and has elevated forwards from his breakout in 2010-2011 onwards. Gomez, DD, etc. Those guys fell off the cliff once taken away from Max.

Byron's producing with top 6 players like Galchenyuk(involved in 7 Byron's points), Pacioretty(involved in four of Byron's points) and Drouin(five, shared with either Pac or Galchenyuk). He is not the driving force and they will not suffer when he is taken away from them. In fact, Galchenyuk and Drouin deserve upgrades over Byron but the man in charge can't build a top 6 to save his job. Byron is like a poor man's Darren Helm. Speedy and has some puck skills, but never ever consider him a real top 6 player unless the team is fighting for the lottery instead of the Cup.

Byron is already given a top 6 opportunity here. Plant him on the wing of Toews and he will not be much different. His shot totals will not go up and thus the likeliness of him scoring goals even just twice in a playoff series is near nil. He's good for one goal in an entire series on average.

I don't know who is expecting him to be a driving force. Cup contenders already have their cornerstones in place. Byron would be a support guy ideally on the 3rd line.

We are too far apart in how we value him if you look at him as a poor man's Darren helm, so I think we will agree to disagree.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The thing is, I've been calling for Byron to be tried at center for a long time now. Even when Danault was healthy, he should have been tried in Drouin's place. Julien's too slow to react.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Byron is better player than Shaw so he's probably going to want similar money.

Trading Byron should be an obvious decision if there wasn't any ego involved. I don't MB would want to move one of his few actually good additions.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
as much as I love bashing MB, he got lucky finding Paul.
He's a one of the few players I like, he's got the DD factor without the french agenda attached.

that being said id trade him in a heartbeat.

I wish him well on his recovery regardless!

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
He's 29 or 30. Falls into the same category as Weber, Price and Max. Might as well trade him.

And he's always been a fringe NHLer. Right now he's about as hot as he's ever been. It makes sense to sell high. Just too bad he got hurt.
It makes no sense to not trade him. Waiver pick up who can possibly turn into 1st if not a 2nd. Carr can take Byron spot.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It makes no sense to not trade him. Waiver pick up who can possibly turn into 1st if not a 2nd. Carr can take Byron spot.

While Gally scored is 30th last night, Byron quietly scored his 19th. He is getting close to 20 again- second on the team in goals. He is still on a great contract for one more year. i`d rather have a waiver pickup that turned into a 20 goal scorer than a waiver pickup that turned into a draft pick. He is versatile can play on any line, PK. Next year when his contract is expiring I would consider trading him if we are still on outside looking in but a $1M cap hit for a guy that can score 20 regularly. He has 17 ES or SH goals this year. The high paid guys patches 11, Chucky 10, Drouin 9.

Reactions: greyboy67

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
While Gally scored is 30th last night, Byron quietly scored his 19th. He is getting close to 20 again- second on the team in goals. He is still on a great contract for one more year. i`d rather have a waiver pickup that turned into a 20 goal scorer than a waiver pickup that turned into a draft pick. He is versatile can play on any line, PK. Next year when his contract is expiring I would consider trading him if we are still on outside looking in but a $1M cap hit for a guy that can score 20 regularly. He has 17 ES or SH goals this year. The high paid guys patches 11, Chucky 10, Drouin 9.

Eh. If you can get a 2nd + good prospect for him I wouldn't hate it in the offseason.

Reactions: Jrham15

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
If he gets to 20 this year and is on pace for 20 at the deadline next year, can we get a 1st at the deadline?

It will be very interesting to see what happens with him. He has definitely played well enough to get a pretty decent next contract. I'm just not sure that we should be the team to give him that payout. Similar situation to Patches, really. Same age also I believe. He also plays a position that we actually have pretty good depth at. I really like him as a player, but it might not be the best move to keep him beyond next season. I think I would keep him and re-evaluate at next years trade deadline UNLESS some team offers up significantly more than what we will get at the deadline (I think we can get something similar to what we got for Pleks/Weiss).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad