Post-Game Talk: Pats lose Super Bowl LII to Philly and Foxborough turns into a circus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Butler had the flu and wasn't at all the practices

Belichick is in the discussion for greatest coach in NFL history. He's also made eyebrow raising moves involving contract issue players like Malloy, Collins, Walker, Mankins, Branch, Vineteiri, Welker, and now Butler.

I doubt I'm the only one who thinks he can be vindictive and petty,

Belichick has the reputation of preparation yet he dropped this little change in plans 1 hour before the kickoff of the Super Bowl.

It's interesting seeing how little support he's getting on this other then Mike Girardi.

My favorite rumor is Butler a known pain in the ass got into it with coaches and one of Belichick kids got in his face and they had a screaming match.

That would do it for me :)

I realize that Butler had “the flu” and was not at some practices.

My personal pet theory:

Butler and Rowe rotated in the 2 spot opposite Gilmore during the week in practice. Gilmore more at the beginning of the week (when Butler was sick), MB more later in the week. BB didn’t like what he saw from Butler, whether it was the illness or something else.

He doesn’t say anything but is undecided up until game day. Finally, a couple of hours before the game he decides to go with Rowe over Butler. He informs the captains and coaches, some of whom are not happy with him. They turn in the inactive list 90 minutes before the game and he lets Rowe and Butler know what their roles will be. Malcolm flips out on BB or whichever coach told him and goes from being the nickel back to sitting on the bench after his reaction (hence the crying).

In this scenario, BB has already turned in the inactives, so he can’t “undress” Butler and they need him anyway in case a CB gets hurt, but he’s so pissed about Butler losing it on a coach, the only way he will play him is if they are forced to by injury. This is just me spit-balling after hearing all these conflicting reports.

If this was what actually happened, and Butler’s only crime (this week) was that he looked mediocre in practice and yelled at a coach...after Rowe got torched in the first half, BB should have reconsidered his position (for the sake of the whole team), tried playing Butler, and found out if he was more effective in the 2nd half. Either way, he could have walked away from Butler this offseason.

How’s that sound? ;)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

My personal pet theory:

Butler and Rowe rotated in the 2 spot opposite Gilmore during the week in practice. Gilmore more at the beginning of the week (when Butler was sick), MB more later in the week. BB didn’t like what he saw from Butler, whether it was the illness or something else.

He doesn’t say anything but is undecided up until game day. Finally, a couple of hours before the game he decides to go with Rowe over Butler. He informs the captains and coaches, some of whom are not happy with him. They turn in the inactive list 90 minutes before the game and he lets Rowe and Butler know what their roles will be. Malcolm flips out on BB or whichever coach told him and goes from being the nickel back to sitting on the bench after his reaction (hence the crying).

In this scenario, BB has already turned in the inactives, so he can’t “undress” Butler and they need him anyway in case a CB gets hurt, but he’s so pissed about Butler losing it on a coach, the only way he will play him is if they are forced to by injury. This is just me spit-balling after hearing all these conflicting reports.

If this was what actually happened, and Butler’s only crime (this week) was that he looked mediocre in practice and yelled at a coach...after Rowe got torched in the first half, BB should have reconsidered his position (for the sake of the whole team), tried playing Butler, and found out if he was more effective in the 2nd half. Either way, he could have walked away from Butler this offseason.

How’s that sound? ;)
Sounds good theory but Brady and his present and former teammates and present coaches don't seem to happy about this

Brady with a big F U to Belichick with his comment on instagram

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
As far as McDaniels goes, I know it was a shitty way to go about things, but I could see him getting a small case of cold feet and maybe the family really likes this area. At the same time, Kraft and Co don’t want to lose all these assist coaches in one offseason and they go to Josh and offer to sweeten the pot for him if he stays. He’s already having second thoughts, so he agrees to stay.

If it was some other team, I might actually feel bad, but because it’s scumbag Irsay and the Colts, who along with the Ravens, manufactured the entire DeflateGate scandal...the can go f*** themselves.

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

My personal pet theory:

How’s that sound? ;)
Patriots notebook: Malcolm Butler battling through illness

Butler had a bad week of practice cracks me up

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sounds good theory but Brady and his present and former teammates and present coaches don't seem to happy about this

I don't think Brady would do that. These two have been together for 18 years.

In the end, they lost, it' a team loss. They need to jump out in front of these games instead of playing from behind. 3 points on the first 2 red zone drives followed by bad Mcdaniels playcalling kept philly in the game and gave them momentum.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I said that coaches (and players) were not happy with the decision. These guys are creatures of habit. They have been going to battle with Butler as the 2 all year. Even if he was just ok in practice, one would think they would still want him in there.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
the whole if butler plays they win the Super Bowl is pure speculation. I can think of many what if's in that game that would have led to victory.

How about what if Cooks could beat a guy 1 on 1 going for an easy 1st down

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You can laugh all you want. Having a “bad week” at practice could be due to any number of factors, recovering from illness being one.
I get it Belichick is awesome

Nothing th see here

Ice cream for everyone

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I guess you missed the part where I said that BB should have reconsidered his evaluation after Rowe got torched in the first half and put Butler in for the 2nd?

You must have been busy eating your ice cream?
I'm shoveling actually

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
the whole if butler plays they win the Super Bowl is pure speculation. I can think of many what if's in that game that would have led to victory.

How about what if Cooks could beat a guy 1 on 1 going for an easy 1st down

had more to do with not having Gilmore on Jeffrey at first than anything Malcom Butler. Sounds like they wanted Butler in the slot and for whatever reason he sucked at it in practice and Bill made the call.

I can only fantasize about the angst of only winning five Super Bowls. The Eagles schooled Patricia all game, to me it's pretty obvious they would have found a way to not miss a beat Butler or no Butler.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
He could have signed Monday morning.

It should have been signed before announcing it formally

He was a tad busy Monday morning. He literally went to Gillette to clean out his office and then got dragged into meetings with the Krafts and Belichick that literally lasted all day.

Look, it's easy to Monday morning QB it now, but press conferences happen all the time with regard to players who technically haven't signed contracts yet. I don't see why coaches would be any different, especially when we're talking about something that literally hasn't happened in the league in the last 15 years.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
Makes you wonder why he interviewed for the job in the first place :dunno:

interviewing is not a commitment. what a weird question.

My personal pet theory:

How’s that sound? ;)

in fact, sounds quite plausible. and the coach decided to be petty when it mattered and threw away another championship and MVP for Tom Brady. unconscionable.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
yeah, the flu literally makes it hard to think. caring about a practice week in that situation rather than the established history would be bad judgment.

With all the HIPPA laws out there, has the trip to the ER been confirmed it was for the flu? Anyone else sick on the team? I know a bunch of Eagles were sick, Butler is the only Pat I've heard about, weird.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If he had an illness that left him unable to practice and the coaching staff believed that rendered him unable to play in the game effectively, they would come out and say it, it'd take two seconds, offend no one, and squash all controversy.

As much as Bill hates to give information to the media, he's too smart to just let a story like this fester when it could be put down that easily. That's why there has to be more to the story.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
yeah, the flu literally makes it hard to think. caring about a practice week in that situation rather than the established history would be bad judgment.

It’s not like Butler was dominant this year. If he had a hard time in practice because he was sick, I could see any coach going with the other CB. The problem is refusing to try something different when Rowe gets lit up in the first half.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad