Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's nothing but your opinion and it's really hard to back up with stats (either way really at this point). Connor is not a good possession player at least as far as Corsi etc. go. But neither is Laine, the difference is Laine's shooting ability (and the way opposing teams cover for that) tends to make up for that in terms of GF/GA, at least with other centers than Little. But these are young players and there's not much to go for looking at numbers of Laine w/ Scheifele... yeah, they were excellent in 2016/2017, but it was a long time ago and the Jets were a different team back then. I mean the roster is mostly the same, but 2016-2017 they didn't make the playoffs and last season they were in the conference finals after a convincing regular season.

The truth is Scheifele & Connor in the same line this and last season, are about %50 corsi and < %50 GF. They have scored 55 goals together 5v5, in > 1100min TOI together. That's under 3 GF/60. That first line has not been good with Connor on it.

With Laine there's no sample size this and last season and I'm ruling 2016-2017 outdated - and doing that is in Connor's favor, taking into account how good the numbers were. This far this season numbers with Laine are really similar to numbers with Connor, but it's a really small sample size and as such I think it's useless. My prediction would be if that line is kept together, there will be separation in their favor.

Ehlers has played more with Scheif this and last season, and the first line's possession numbers and actual results take a huge leap as opposed to Connor - he's by far the best corsi player of the 3 and gets very good actual results as well (higher GF/60 than with Connor and much lower GA/60).

My point here is to not put Connor down, but give a perspective on why he might not be all that much better than Laine (or Ehlers), but just has benefited from playing with Scheifele and Wheeler, being in a way more favorable situation. Looking at this season only, I understand how someone could hold the opinion Connor is the overall better hockey player, but last season it was not even close (IMO) and I still think Laine is trending way higher despite having a very difficult and weird (inconsistent) season. Connor might be busier looking than the other 2, and is probably better in-tight and on the boards, but he is no-where near as effective and I think it becomes really evident when he is replaced on the 1st line - both Ehlers and Laine open up the play a lot more, Ehlers through his speed and Laine with his shooting threat, the end result is offensively the line becomes way more effective. Ehlers also makes them defensively better.

I think Connor might be more versatile in that he is probably better suited to playing any role in team and doing OK with it, which I'm sure coaches will like. Laine has his shot, Ehlers has his speed. I hope Connor's ability in tight can become similar elite skill for him, the point in his sharp offensive ability.

I'm waiting for Scheifele to wake up though. He's put up good points as usual, but I think a lot of that is just playing so much. Apart from some great games earlier in the season, I have not really seen quite the elite offensive ability I expect from him and his defensive side has been just poor. This is another reason why comparing this season's number to 2016-2017 doesn't make sense. I think 2016-2017 Scheifele was playing better hockey. I think part of it is Maurice simply ran both Scheifele and Wheeler to ground, I hope they pick it up now that they might see more sensible TOI. I think Wheeler is already looking like he lost 5 years.

You're right - it's my opinion and no, I didn't back it up with stat's.
Purely based on my view of hockey fundamentals and overall skill set - as I described.

I wasn't counting points or speculating based on who they played with now or in the past - simply eye test on hockey skills.
The stats are not required when reviewing skill set - they will never tell me if Connor or Laine are elite skaters, puck handlers, passers or shooters. I'm simply looking at skills.
Both are great players - please keep in mind, all of this dialogue results from a point that was brought forward by another fan - "Laine has a better over all game than Connor" - I disagree.
Can we leave it at that? I'd prefer to move on at this point rather than continue a debate over awesome players.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've really liked PL's game recently. In on the forecheck, moving his feet, starting to understand that he has a big body and he can use it to keep or gain possession.

I think we are witnessing Patrik Laine discovering his true NHL player self. I was worried if he was going to get it as pretty much the entire season you got the feeling that he just figured he'd nipe tendies all year long. I think he had to go through this humbling experience to realize once the NHL figures you out, they have the players to counteract you.

I think he's going to use his size and skill more and more and then he'll start getting himself into more prime shooting situations on his own - then look out.

This is a very exciting development indeed.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Carolina color guy was almost drooling when he watched Laine playing. He said Laine was playing the most complete game he has ever seen Laine playing on his young career.

I enjoyed all those smart, small things he did right tonight. Those things you miss when you don't pay attention and keep your eye on that kid. He is more used to do those little things, and yet they got ingored as "he can only shoot well, otherwise he is a sub par AHL guy", for a quite a lot of people not paying attention.

Yep. That narrative is getting tired like Rip Van Winkle.

Great to see this complete game developing but it always seemed like a matter of time. One of the sometimes underrated aspects of the Jets' draft & development system is their emphasis on high-end smarts in their prospects. Lain has it, PuJu (in my viewings) does not. Copp has it, JMo, Niku -- the list goes on and on. I think it makes for a steep curve sometimes while brains and bodies catch up to one another but boy is it exciting when it finally clicks into place.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This is Patrik Laine of the first 50 games of his rookie season but with more experience.
Still a man child though but he will be a beast in 2 years.

I was hoping this was his year to becom truly elite but i guess not.
Jets are not into development year so they cant do what bottom team does for their star young players, give ice time.
Team is in a hunt for the cup.

Mistake on Laine's part and mistake on coach part. But hope they got this sorted out.

The better Laine become better for the Jets. He can dictate other teams game plan, which is goo for the Jets.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'm kind of liking this playmakimg making tough guy Laine ;) He's been crazy good, even the naysayers can't deny that. Still gotta keep that AAV under 9.5 though :eek:

Does someone have record for

Player coming out of elc and have 30+goals each year?
Then someone at 18 to 20 years old?

Thanks

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Not sure why everyone is all shocked and pleased Laine finally 'figured it out'; to me it couldn't be clearer that he was sandbagging and is now finally putting in effort.

To me it was always clear he sucks at Fortnite

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
You can really see the slingshot effect in full display here:

That's so cool to see that everything is slowed down, people and even the passes, but when it leaves from Patrik's stick, it's almost like someone has put more tempo to the video. No wonder when he's on, the goalie doesn't even have to see it, 'cos he can't because it comes so fast. :D

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Maybe Laine could turn into a Subban like player who feeds off being the heel, he seems to have a knack for it and it's only fitting since the two of them were at the top of that "Most overrated" chart from other NHL players :DD I would be surprised if he didn't see those poll results. Let's face it, he's not gonna win any friends in the league with his play style and his face and mannerisms so might as well gather your motivation from people wanting to see you fail. He should grow the beard back, it seemed to be pretty tilting for some people...or maybe a moustache :naughty:

Reactions: Tommigun

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Maybe Laine could turn into a Subban like player who feeds off being the heel, he seems to have a knack for it and it's only fitting since the two of them were at the top of that "Most overrated" chart from other NHL players :DD I would be surprised if he didn't see those poll results. Let's face it, he's not gonna win any friends in the league with his play style and his face and mannerisms so might as well gather your motivation from people wanting to see you fail. He should grow the beard back, it seemed to be pretty tilting for some people...or maybe a moustache :naughty:
I think he relishes the heel role.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You're right - it's my opinion and no, I didn't back it up with stat's.
Purely based on my view of hockey fundamentals and overall skill set - as I described.

I wasn't counting points or speculating based on who they played with now or in the past - simply eye test on hockey skills.
The stats are not required when reviewing skill set - they will never tell me if Connor or Laine are elite skaters, puck handlers, passers or shooters. I'm simply looking at skills.
Both are great players - please keep in mind, all of this dialogue results from a point that was brought forward by another fan - "Laine has a better over all game than Connor" - I disagree.
Can we leave it at that? I'd prefer to move on at this point rather than continue a debate over awesome players.

Huh?
Stats can show if someone is an elite shooter

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I’ve been very pleased with his physicality and defense as of lately. He’s even been in the upper echelon on the team in those areas imho so that’s a really good development.

But what I’m most pleased with is that he’s showing signs of becoming a line driver, which was not really something I fully expected tbh. The away feed commentators have stated on multiple occasions that Laine has been driving the play on the Scheifele line. That bodes very well for the future! I just hope he can keep this level of play up for most parts of an entire season. I’m not sure he’s there physically yet, but he is still very young.

His dad must have had an impact on his play, it can’t be a coincidence that he always scores 2+ goals and goes on a run when his dad watches him play.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I’ve been very pleased with his physicality and defense as of lately. He’s even been in the upper echelon on the team in those areas imho so that’s a really good development.

But what I’m most pleased with is that he’s showing signs of becoming a line driver, which was not really something I fully expected tbh. The away feed commentators have stated on multiple occasions that Laine has been driving the play on the Scheifele line. That bodes very well for the future! I just hope he can keep this level of play up for most parts of an entire season. I’m not sure he’s there physically yet, but he is still very young.

His dad must have had an impact on his play, it can’t be a coincidence that he always scores 2+ goals and goes on a run when his dad watches him play.
Give his dad a season ticket!

Reactions: Tommigun

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I'm actually gonna start ripping my hair out if he doesn't begin to use his wrister

Maybe his wrists hurt from too much Fortnite.

I like it he's showing high work ethic and passing and all that but he needs to wear his goal scorer boots soon. Though that might make his skating worse.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maybe his wrists hurt from too much Fortnite.

I like it he's showing high work ethic and passing and all that but he needs to wear his goal scorer boots soon. Though that might make his skating worse.

He'll struggle against premium teams - they are not giving him any space / time and he isn't able to make his own - yet.
Stick to the program and get better at all aspects of hockey - including quickness and strength which will help him against teams like the Caps.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
See.. When ppl were ****ting on 29.. They were ignoring 55 and 26 dogging it most games.. 26 has woken up.. 55 has not. This isnt new.. This is start of the season stuff.. 55 hasn't been good.

I'm looking forward to when he is good considering he's put up 75 pts in 67 games while playing bad.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and KB1971

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That's great and all but how many has Scheifele been on the ice for against us?

Just cuz he has some points dont mean hes been playing good .

He's 18th over all in points so he has played "good".
He's struggled lately for reasons undetermined -
Maybe if you want to stick to that narrative rather than calling his complete season "bad" . . . . .

And I have no idea how many he's been on he ice for - you're welcome to check.
While you're at it, check Laine's too.

Reactions: Gotaf7 and KB1971
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad