Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
KC is good in tight quarters but just because Laine can shoot out from the moon he is not good in tight. He can score intight and he have done it a few times.
He just doesnt need to go down that deep to score as he can score all over.

I guess its again a matter of Laine other skill sets being down graded just because he is one of the best in the league at particular things.

Laine is far superior that Connor in all offensive aspect except skating. Laine gap in other skills blowsKC out of the water.

In the end though they are both Jets. They bring different attack in the ice.
They are both capable of putting points on the board. And they are both relly good players....

Hey PhilJets--like the new Avatar --"flashy" ( just like the Jets--I like it.:)

Reactions: PhilJets

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Almost time for
Scheifele and Laine to transform and take us to the promise land.... :)

I don't see why not -- the only team that worries me, and gives me doubt is Tampa, and we may end up playing them for the Stanley Cup. We'll need Morrissey and Buff back to beat them -- but it would be a great series. Jet's in 7 games. :thumbu:

Reactions: PhilJets

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Great game by Laine.
Lots of good stuff.
Only 1 assist but a big difference maker.
His anticipation, willingness to use his body and sudden improvement in his puck handling and protection are so much fun to see.
Scheifele and Wheeler each had one chance where the red sea had parted in the slot and they were behind the net with a chance to saucer the puck out to the slot where Laine has rarely been left open.
The D managed to spoil both of those chances but the game could easily have been 10 - 1 right there.

He will continue to have a higher ceiling then almost any one in the league but were a long way from feeling real comfortable about that floor.

Maybe a game vs Ovi can scratch his goal scoring itch?
As long as he competes like he has lately things will go well for him.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Carolina color guy was almost drooling when he watched Laine playing. He said Laine was playing the most complete game he has ever seen Laine playing on his young career.

I enjoyed all those smart, small things he did right tonight. Those things you miss when you don't pay attention and keep your eye on that kid. He is more used to do those little things, and yet they got ingored as "he can only shoot well, otherwise he is a sub par AHL guy", for a quite a lot of people not paying attention.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't see any point in comparing them either - but if they are compared, as they were in this thread, I'll jump in with a POV.
Of course, and that's definitely your right. That's the point of a discussion forum, after all.

Unfortunately, it often devolves into shouting at each other, rather than listening and discussing.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
The Laine-Wheeler connection seems to be pretty magical :). Laine returning the favor for all those PP setups. Scheifele looked way better this game. I think that line is starting to build real chemistry. So awesome to see after all this time.

This won't be Laine's highest scoring season, but who cares, as long as the team is playing well.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The rumours of Laine's demise were exaggerated. It seems that he has gone up a level in his hockey ability. Should he have been on Scheifele's line the whole time? Maybe...but I remember a lot of nights in January and February where Laine was truly bad on the ice and it wouldn't have mattered who he played with. Laine Scheifele Wheeler is super dangerous on the rush. Wheeler protects and distributes, Scheifele carries the puck with speed, Laine finds little seams and draws extra coverage because of his shot. I hope this line stays together for the rest of the season.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
The difference between his play now compared to what it was a month ago is insane. My favorite thing he has improved lots on is board play. During the slump, if Laine was near the boards and the puck came to that area, it would almost always end up going in the wrong direction after that. And that was pretty much the single most frustrating thing in hockey I've ever had to watch. Now he's showing signs of possibly becoming a legit line driver in the future.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
The Laine-Wheeler connection seems to be pretty magical :). Laine returning the favor for all those PP setups. Scheifele looked way better this game. I think that line is starting to build real chemistry. So awesome to see after all this time.

This won't be Laine's highest scoring season, but who cares, as long as the team is playing well.

Hockey Professor

Feb 24, 2019
Are the possession numbers good for the top line 5v5? I don't feel the top line is spending a lot of time in the o zone and applying pressure much, but that is eye test, not stat based (again, why I am asking).
No, absolutely not. During the last seven games, after the line change, Scheifele's even-strength xGF% is 36,5% which is terrible. (evolving-hockey xg model) I don't have the numbers for the full line but that should be a good proxy for it. I hope that Maurice puts Ehlers back to the 1st line.

Reactions: KB1971

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
No, absolutely not. During the last seven games, after the line change, Scheifele's even-strength xGF% is 36,5% which is terrible. (evolving-hockey xg model) I don't have the numbers for the full line but that should be a good proxy for it. I hope that Maurice puts Ehlers back to the 1st line.

You can't seriously think Laine has been the problem defensively if you have watched the games. There has been some issues on that line but I think they are starting to fade. Give them more time and we will have a serious 1-2(-3-4) punch for the playoffs. We can't start mucking around at this point.

I do get why a lot of people are disappointed in seeing Laine succeed. I don't mean you necessarily. Lots of crow to be had on the main boards for instance.

I think they should consider double shifting Laine on the PP for the playoffs. PP's are going to be more rare so using them to maximum effect could be beneficial.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Elite Talent has been alwas there.
It was all on the mind.

He is 20 and youngest on the team. Think bout that for a second.

Good thing popsie got back into his head.
Family seems to get him going.

Now can he please score that 30th goal!!!!!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I would tweak this phrase a bit by stating "as long as Laine and the team are playing well".
IMO, his game is much improved over the earlier version - even the version that scored all those goals in Nov.
He's a better player now regardless of score sheet production- simple as that.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Of course, and that's definitely your right. That's the point of a discussion forum, after all.

Unfortunately, it often devolves into shouting at each other, rather than listening and discussing.

I agree - much of that stems from the frustration that comes with 2 points of views being discussed by fans and often including their favorite players.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Elite Talent has been alwas there.
It was all on the mind.

He is 20 and youngest on the team. Think bout that for a second.

Good thing popsie got back into his head.
Family seems to get him going.

Now can he please score that 30th goal!!!!!
I'm kind of liking this playmakimg making tough guy Laine ;) He's been crazy good, even the naysayers can't deny that. Still gotta keep that AAV under 9.5 though :eek:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I don't see why not -- the only team that worries me, and gives me doubt is Tampa, and we may end up playing them for the Stanley Cup. We'll need Morrissey and Buff back to beat them -- but it would be a great series. Jet's in 7 games. :thumbu:

Ottawa has been harder for us to beat this year, glad we won’t be seeing them in the finals ;)

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Laine is heating up at the right time, last playoffs people expected a bit more. I thought he was ok, he didn't go Ehlers-dry but if he's on for the playoffs this year it could be the difference maker. I know the Jets put away Nashville and Minnesota in what were potent offensive serieses for the Jets but I feel like the package wasn't on full display yet.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If he plays on the top line next year, he is likely to be a ppg player with 35-40 goals and 40-45 assists. He is actually a talented playmaker and will only shoot if it is a high danger opportunity.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
As I've said before, he's always come to life, every single time, when his linemates have changed. Be it with Copp, Lowry or Scheifele.

Yes....but not with Little. So, technically, he hasn’t always come to life when his line mates have changed. There is a singular exception.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
So with that point, Laine is a better all around player?
How about skating, quickness, puck skills, stick skills - you know, the stuff that is typically discussed when talking about our very best hockey players?

Neither of these guys are perfect hockey players but to say that Laine is a better overall player than Connor is simply not true.

That's nothing but your opinion and it's really hard to back up with stats (either way really at this point). Connor is not a good possession player at least as far as Corsi etc. go. But neither is Laine, the difference is Laine's shooting ability (and the way opposing teams cover for that) tends to make up for that in terms of GF/GA, at least with other centers than Little. But these are young players and there's not much to go for looking at numbers of Laine w/ Scheifele... yeah, they were excellent in 2016/2017, but it was a long time ago and the Jets were a different team back then. I mean the roster is mostly the same, but 2016-2017 they didn't make the playoffs and last season they were in the conference finals after a convincing regular season.

The truth is Scheifele & Connor in the same line this and last season, are about %50 corsi and < %50 GF. They have scored 55 goals together 5v5, in > 1100min TOI together. That's under 3 GF/60. That first line has not been good with Connor on it.

With Laine there's no sample size this and last season and I'm ruling 2016-2017 outdated - and doing that is in Connor's favor, taking into account how good the numbers were. This far this season numbers with Laine are really similar to numbers with Connor, but it's a really small sample size and as such I think it's useless. My prediction would be if that line is kept together, there will be separation in their favor.

Ehlers has played more with Scheif this and last season, and the first line's possession numbers and actual results take a huge leap as opposed to Connor - he's by far the best corsi player of the 3 and gets very good actual results as well (higher GF/60 than with Connor and much lower GA/60).

My point here is to not put Connor down, but give a perspective on why he might not be all that much better than Laine (or Ehlers), but just has benefited from playing with Scheifele and Wheeler, being in a way more favorable situation. Looking at this season only, I understand how someone could hold the opinion Connor is the overall better hockey player, but last season it was not even close (IMO) and I still think Laine is trending way higher despite having a very difficult and weird (inconsistent) season. Connor might be busier looking than the other 2, and is probably better in-tight and on the boards, but he is no-where near as effective and I think it becomes really evident when he is replaced on the 1st line - both Ehlers and Laine open up the play a lot more, Ehlers through his speed and Laine with his shooting threat, the end result is offensively the line becomes way more effective. Ehlers also makes them defensively better.

I think Connor might be more versatile in that he is probably better suited to playing any role in team and doing OK with it, which I'm sure coaches will like. Laine has his shot, Ehlers has his speed. I hope Connor's ability in tight can become similar elite skill for him, the point in his sharp offensive ability.

I'm waiting for Scheifele to wake up though. He's put up good points as usual, but I think a lot of that is just playing so much. Apart from some great games earlier in the season, I have not really seen quite the elite offensive ability I expect from him and his defensive side has been just poor. This is another reason why comparing this season's number to 2016-2017 doesn't make sense. I think 2016-2017 Scheifele was playing better hockey. I think part of it is Maurice simply ran both Scheifele and Wheeler to ground, I hope they pick it up now that they might see more sensible TOI. I think Wheeler is already looking like he lost 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad