Patrik Laine Part IV: More Hats, Less Sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Luckily for Laine, primary contact was to his jaw. Got him right on the button. He was out and his body stiffened the way a boxer's would. Can sometimes result in a very very slight concussion, but not usually.

When MMA fighters get knocked out clean they often lose neck function and their head bounces off the floor (Rousey vs Holm for example ouch). Laine seems like he was conscious enough to keep his head off the ice. Was he actually knocked out? Maybe a flash KO

Tesaka

Jun 28, 2016
Finland
When MMA fighters get knocked out clean they often lose neck function and their head bounces off the floor (Rousey vs Holm for example ouch). Laine seems like he was conscious enough to keep his head off the ice. Was he actually knocked out? Maybe a flash KO

I am still doubting that he was KOd and I think he doesnt have "real" concussion. He is being sidelined just in case he will get symptoms since he has not had any at all (after game in bright lights, watching training, being out in bright sunlight, etc.) I am very optimistic that he returns very very soon!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There needs to be a twitter account providing daily updates on Laine, preferably hourly

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/01/10/we-shoulnt-cheer-highlight-hits-anymore

Dr. Glen Bergeron, director of the Heads-Up Concussion Institute at the University of Winnipeg, says in many cases people rebound relatively quickly — from a low of seven to 10 days to a high of six weeks — from shaken brains caused by head trauma.

“A concussion is going to be different for everybody,†Bergeron said. “There will be people who fall on the quicker recovery side and people who fall on the longer recovery time.â€

Concussions are no longer graded by severity when they first happen. The severity is determined by the symptoms, and how long they last.

Laine, concussed Saturday in Buffalo, was seen around the rink on Monday, and although he didn’t skate that’s a good sign.

“If he’s up and about and not feeling like he has to stay in bed and away from bright lights or from teammates and loud noises and those kinds of things — those are all really good signs that maybe his concussion is much more minor than it could have been,†Bergeron said.

From his mouth to god's ears.

Here's Landeskog describing his symptoms from his concussion a few years ago. Landeskog ended up missing 11 games http://www.theplayerstribune.com/we-need-to-talk-about-concussions-right-now/

my head was throbbing. It felt like two cement blocks were pushing against the sides of my skull. I remember my alarm kept going off, and the sound was just killing me. When I looked down at my phone to call our trainer, the brightness was so excruciating that I had to turn away.

But when I lay down on the trainer’s table and stared up at the ceiling, the glare from the fluorescent lights were excruciating. I actually had to put a towel over my face because the light was bothering me even with my eyes closed.

It felt like I had a headache right behind my eyelids, in addition to my regular headache. It was like a double headache. Then I heard the guys laughing and joking in the locker room, and the noise was making me irritated. It was the weirdest thing, because as a hockey player, that’s why you absolutely love coming to the rink every day — to hear that banter. But now it was really bothering me.

The toughest one was that I couldn’t turn on the TV for the first week. Of course, I couldn’t go to the arena either because the noise of 20,000 people wasn’t going to help me get better. So that meant I couldn’t even watch my team play.

I had that exact feeling. After the first week, I was allowed to watch TV in short 15-minute bursts. I remember sitting in my townhouse in Denver with my friend Johan around 6 p.m., and I had to tell him to turn off the TV — then all the lights in the house.

Was Laine at the game last night? Thought someone said they saw him in the PB

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg

There's a full KO, which totally shuts you off and you are out. Then you can be dazed KO'd, which Laine was.

From KO's I can recall, fighters who get hit on head/temple seem to crumple. And hits to the chin, they tend to more often go stiff???

Kid never even let go of his stick lol.

Tesaka

Jun 28, 2016
Finland
There's a full KO, which totally shuts you off and you are out. Then you can be dazed KO'd, which Laine was.

From KO's I can recall, fighters who get hit on head/temple seem to crumple. And hits to the chin, they tend to more often go stiff???

Kid never even let go of his stick lol.

I think he was mostly rattled cause he got his wind knocked the F**K out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think he was mostly rattled cause he got his wind knocked the F**K out.

Lololol good old Tesaka, the eternal optimist. Refusing to believe that Laine got concussed :laugh:

That tensing up of the head is textbook. He was concussed and he was knocked out.

Good news is, he just might be the type that recovers quickly from that, and there might have been no damage to key areas.

We will still have to see what happens over the next week or two, because, unfortunately with concussions, sometimes the effects do not immediately present themselves to the severity they will reach.

I am feeling 10 times better about it today than I was on Saturday though, thats for sure.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'd rather he misses 10 games than risk coming back early. Not worth the risk of getting another

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Luckily for Laine, primary contact was to his jaw. Got him right on the button. He was out and his body stiffened the way a boxer's would. Can sometimes result in a very very slight concussion, but not usually.

I think I'll wait for the prognosis of the Doctors directly in charge of Laine's care on this one - if it weren't a concussion, they wouldn't be holding him out at this point.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I think I'll wait for the prognosis of the Doctors directly in charge of Laine's care on this one - if it weren't a concussion, they wouldn't be holding him out at this point.

You could be totally right. Either way, I'm hoping/feeling it's not all that bad and he will be back ASAP. I'm really hoping to see him perform in the ASG skills comp!

Thanks btw.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Laine has exceeded expectations, he's 18 for crying out loud.
He got smoked on a clean hit.
Honestly I think this makes him not only more wiser to avoid making any play I think it makes him more dangerous going forward.
He's young he'll put this behind him.
I am speechless how good he already is I am see why Finland is so proud.
What a player

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Congrats Patrik Laine

Central Div have some elite forwards. To be pick 1 of the 6 is something.
Let alone for an 18 year.

Some of the Divisions don't have as good forward depth.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Well it's already been confirmed he's concussed, no doubt about that anymore. Just the way he went down and kept his head upright indicates it wasn't a "shutoff" KO as if he had been headkicked. More like he took a right hook to the jaw, which can still **** you up but it's not the same as shinbone to the noggin.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Wow, there's being ignorant about concussions, then there's just flat out making **** up.

Doesn't have a "real" concussion......wut?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
His brain slammed against the inside of his skull, he has a concussion......a real one.

Being KO'd is not a pre-requsite for recovery time, especially post.

I think he'll be out until month's end.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Your head doesn't have to even hit anything for you to be able to get a concussion, a sudden change of direction is all that's required.

This is why I have an issue with these "legal" hits going completely against player momentum. The risk of concussion is very high.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Is there any any Winger in the league who is comparable to Laine ? prefferebly one who has less than 3 seasons played?

Second question, What is your GUESS on Laines return? Could be for the All star game at the end of the month?

Last edited:

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Is there any any Winger in the league who is comparable to Laine ? prefferebly one who has less than 3 seasons played?

Stylistically he's a unique player. I don't think anyone else has that combination of elite shot and great passing that Laine has (at least in his age group). Production-wise there's Pastrnak, Marner, and our very own Ehlers

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
His brain slammed against the inside of his skull, he has a concussion......a real one.

Being KO'd is not a pre-requsite for recovery time, especially post.

I think he'll be out until month's end.
If all goes well I am hoping we get him back around the middle of our homestand, a couple of games before All Star weekend.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Wow, there's being ignorant about concussions, then there's just flat out making **** up.

Doesn't have a "real" concussion......wut?

Not that he doesn't have a real concussion at all. Just appears on the surface that it's a mild concussion. Just trying to be optimistic is all :)

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I think Ehlers deserved spot more than Scheifele. Scheifele has calm down little bit for the start of the season, when Ehlers is keeping his hot strike going.

Good luck Patrik ! You deserved that spot more than anyone else on the team. Expecting to see hatrick at the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad