Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He didn't play the easiest minutes, but like that post says he avoided completely their Lowry line and played only 4mins against Seguin.
That's playing easier minutes.

He's again not. As you showed on your post.

He played 4mins against Seguin instead of 14 mins against Seguin& Faksa.
The almost 4 and a half minutes against Seguin is a huge amount of ice time when considering how small minutes Laine has been getting in general. Just give up and admit that he has got no real easy minutes after all...

Reactions: Scheifelaine

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The almost 4 and a half minutes against Seguin is a huge amount of ice time when considering how small minutes Laine has been getting in general. Just give up and admit that he has got no real easy minutes after all...

4 vs 14, why I'm not that surprised the 4 is here a bigger deal.

Laine struggled to create on the 1st line, you should very well know that. Now he's finding success with easier minutes. Let him keep building his confidence and hope he's a beast by playoffs.

It's also ridiculous to still see with all the Brassard rumours that Laine's icetime is money related.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For the entire season I have been preaching patience and have been saying Pate is going to have a big Playoffs. Right now he is a goal scorer on a heater so I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I will stand by my prediction.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Laine struggled to create on the 1st line, you should very well know that. Now he's finding success with easier minutes. Let him keep building his confidence and hope he's a beast by playoffs.

It's also ridiculous to still see with all the Brassard rumours that Laine's icetime is money related.
When has he played on the first line this season? Wheeler connor laine worked fine, all things considering.

Im on my phone now so i cant check out the match ups. I will return to this later

Reactions: Rene Saari

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Hello! Laine didn’t even get 14 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time altogether. So how the hell would he even be able to play those kind of minutes against any lines? And still you are completely forgetting that ECL was playing against the Stars best offensive players almost the whole game, and let them score zero goals, while CSW played against a checking line that for sure is good defensively and pretty hard to play against, but they are not that good after all offensively. Still, the Stars checking line scored against CSW, and then Seguin’s line scored against CSW too, but didn’t score any against ECL, and were not even that close of doing it.

At least CSW managed to score one goal themselves, but still they were left with -2 in the game. Sure tough minutes, but also they were just not playing as well against Seguin’s line as ECL did. Laine scored his both goals against Seguin, so there is that too...

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You guys are acting like Klingberg and Seguin are defensive stalwarts. :laugh: They are not at all.
Yes, I guess you are right and they absolutely suck defensively. Probably they also suck offensively? Or is that what you are trying to say, as it somehow seems like now suddenly these kind of lines and players are easy opponents?

Oh, but Scheifele’s line lost their game against Seguin’s line 0-1 while ECL won their game against them 2-0. Must be so that Seguin’s line plays selectively defence, don’t you think so?

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That shot though.......

I-can-see-why-GIF.gif

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think it was said last year that Stamkos was the best in exceeding his ixgf, and he did it by 40% margin?

Laine has 31 goals compared to his ixgf of 18.15, so he's exceeding that by 70%.

He's a pretty good shooter I guess.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Trust me, demoting Laine with low TOI and 3rd line is NOT the way you are building his confidence.

Having him play with Scheifele would be a way to build his confidence, though it is not a priority for Maurice. Seems to not make it into his TOP-20 of priorities.

Obviously the fact that he is still doing good builds his confidence but that is not because of Maurice but in spite of him. ECL is better than ELL, no doubt but that should not take Maurice some 50 games to find out.

Laine has now 0.82 PPG while his centers are at 0.58 PPG (Little) and 0.29 PPG (Copp). Scheifele is not his center, but he has 1.08 PPG. Centers tend to have a high PPG due to their position. You can only imagine Laine's PPG and GPG (which is close to Little's PPG even now) with more appropriate usage by Maurice.

Exactly this. There's some pretty huge contradiction in playing 3rd line minutes (last nigh 13+) and "driving your own line" as opposed to playing as much as you can, meaning top line minutes (what Scheifele and Wheelers are getting). How can the bottom six minutes be more beneficial for a player that could and should already play in the first line and skate the 17-20 minutes per game? Just zero logic there. After he had already scored two goals against Dallas, you'd expect the coach to give him a chance to complete the hat trick and boost his confidence even more, but no, quite the opposite. Laine barely touched the ice in the third period which was pretty odd considering that the game was pretty much already won.

They are just making it as difficult as possible for him to get more points. Luckily for Laine, he doesn't even need much minutes to be productive. Of course this isn't ideal for Ehlers either, who has to warm the bench with Laine. At least those two finally are away from Little and we are already seeing the results. Too bad it took the management half a season to figure out what a lot of people saw after just a handful of games. Well that is, if they even had to figure anything out but rather just look the other way.

I'm happy that Laine scored two goals, but 13:30 ice time when you're at the best form you've been this entire season? Really?! Makes me sick to my stomach.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Exactly this. There's some pretty huge contradiction in playing 3rd line minutes (last nigh 13+) and "driving your own line" as opposed to playing as much as you can, meaning top line minutes (what Scheifele and Wheelers are getting). How can the bottom six minutes be more beneficial for a player that could and should already play in the first line and skate the 17-20 minutes per game? Just zero logic there. After he had already scored two goals against Dallas, you'd expect the coach to give him a chance to complete the hat trick and boost his confidence even more, but no, quite the opposite. Laine barely touched the ice in the third period which was pretty odd considering that the game was pretty much already won.

They are just making it as difficult as possible for him to get more points. Luckily for Laine, he doesn't even need much minutes to be productive. Of course this isn't ideal for Ehlers either, who has to warm the bench with Laine. At least those two finally are away from Little and we are already seeing the results. Too bad it took the management half a season to figure out what a lot of people saw after just a handful of games. Well that is, if they even had to figure anything out but rather just look the other way.

I'm happy that Laine scored two goals, but 13:30 ice time when you're at the best form you've been this entire season? Really?! Makes me sick to my stomach.
This is so false. He was on the ice many times, obviously they tried to get him the hatty. He didn't get it, and who cares? The Jets aren't there to f*** around and please you. They want to win the games.

Reactions: Insthofen

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't venture in here very often and now I remember why :laugh:
Laine scores two beauty goals and it's still not enough? Why are so many up in arms about "lack of ice time"?
No kidding. Or saying he is doing better because of easy matchups or anything else.

How about he is just doing great and constantly improving. If I want to read about why people think he isn’t as good as his game is showing I can go to the leafs board.

Reactions: King Woodballs

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Sorry Jets wins make you sick to your stomach, maybe you need to re-evaluate? Laine would have scored the hatty had he converted on his penalty shot, just saying. And he touched the ice plenty in the 3rd, what game were you watching? 4:00 minutes short handed in the 3rd as well.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Mod Note, any further posts on Laine's linemates in this thread will be deleted. Please take it to the Roster discussion thread.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

It's a back to back! Evening out the ice time is exactly what coaches should be doing in this situation

Reactions: Mony Vibescu

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This is so false. He was on the ice many times, obviously they tried to get him the hatty. He didn't get it, and who cares? The Jets aren't there to **** around and please you. They want to win the games.

Oh yeah, how many minutes did he play in the third? If they tried so hard, which line was it again that was on the ice at the very last minute when the net was empty?

Sorry Jets wins make you sick to your stomach, maybe you need to re-evaluate? Laine would have scored the hatty had he converted on his penalty shot, just saying. And he touched the ice plenty in the 3rd, what game were you watching? 4:00 minutes short handed in the 3rd as well.

I pretty clearly indicated Laine's insane 13+ minute ice time, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact of Jets winning the game, so how about trying to twist someone else's sentences or actually read them before replying? Oh yeah, lets blame Pate for missing his opportunity to get a hat-trick in the 2nd period (when he hadn't even scored the two goals yet :help:).

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
How about he is just doing great and constantly improving. If I want to read about why people think he isn’t as good as his game is showing I can go to the leafs board.

Btw I just checked the TOI/GP of all forwards. Laine is doing quite exceptional things with the TOI he is getting. He is the 143rd forward measured with the TOI/GP.

And if you look the stats of the players around him there... Of course there are couple of players who have just a little bit worse P/GP (for example Nylander 0,75, compared to Patriks 0,82) with almost as low TOI as Laine, but no-one near the G/GP numbers Laine has.

Just saying, Patrik is really, really efficient among his peers.

Reactions: Halberdier

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Wow. This thread!
Conspiracy, malice, and incompetence.

Laine is a special player, but he hasn’t even come close to his potential. And most likely won’t have for SEVEN YEARS .
He still looks like a gangly kid adapting to the men’s game.

Before we burn down TNSE and the Jets....for winning....? For Laine’s 2nd 30+ goal season as a teenager...Can we take a deep breath?

The kid is 19 and top 10 in goals....
Why are people anything other than happy?

He and Ehlers are developing chemistry and familiarity that will make them a top line in the NHL for years to come....why would you break that up?

I don’t even understand why anyone is angry.

This thread should be full of joy....

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
How many goals is Laine going to score in the first round against the stars? The lines at 9.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad