Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Take it easy and read the room, Bus. Your opinion on Laine the player has been well stated. This is not the time to pile your crap on a human being, whether you like him or not, when he’s suffering from something that is severe enough to entering a health program. I hope that you have a more humane view and treat people that you interact with IRL with more compassion.
To be clear, you guys think I “hate” these guys personally, whether it’s my current group or the many players of the past. WHAT I HATE IS WHAT THEY DO THE TEAM.

What impact do you think whatever this issue is, has had on the team over the last few years, that have been arguably THE WORST IN FRANCHISE HISTORY??

Or does THAT not matter now because of “real life problems” because he has just now entered the program?? What happens if info comes out that he deserves some blame?? Or again, just since he entered the program, some of you absolve him of everything??

GUDBRANSON LITERALLY TOLD US THERE HAS BEEN AN ISSUE WITH THE “locker room” and none of you have wanted to talk about it and blamed it on Larsen running practice.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Are you aware of the fact that ex NHL players have killed themselves because of struggles caused by the game?

I think that it’s great that there is less taboo around seeking help if/when a person needs it. The kind of attitude that you are showing with your posts will hopefully die eventually. Shouldn’t we all wish each other well being?
And IMO, you and most everyone don’t actually want to talk about the real reasons, as if you literally can’t handle talking about it and the subject matter will be removed.

“Struggles caused by the game” ain’t quite it. It’s not the fights, the concussions or the CTE, It’s the pharmaceuticals. The pills. And it’s admitted and IGNORED at the same time by many.

What do you think the doctors and “programs” prescribe to these guys to “help”??

Sorry to those who hate truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotWendell

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
people still know essentially nothing

REALITY is that Laine deserves SOME fault in whatever is happening

Ok great, we know nothing but nevertheless you're still able to provide us with some REALITY about the situation. Can't wait for your next 5,000 text wall posts about this news where you repeat yourself over and over. Strong start so far.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Guess it wasn’t the “concussion” that was problem after all??
That's a really stupid take. Laine doesn't drink so it would seem this player assistance program could be because of mental problems that could very well be concussion related. Lots of former players like Franzen and Savard have talked about their concussions and depression. Here's Savards piece from Player's Tribune.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
And IMO, you and most everyone don’t actually want to talk about the real reasons, as if you literally can’t handle talking about it and the subject matter will be removed.

“Struggles caused by the game” ain’t quite it. It’s not the fights, the concussions or the CTE, It’s the pharmaceuticals. The pills. And it’s admitted and IGNORED by many.

What do you think the doctors and “programs” prescribe these guys to “help”??

Sorry to those who hate truth.
I was wondering if prescription meds may be an issue with this, looking at the injuries he's had this year. It is so easy to become hooked on stuff like that. When I had surgeries a few years back, I purposely avoided taking the pain meds for that reason. Only if the pain became unbearable would I take anything, which luckily, it didn't. Just threw them out after a couple weeks.

It's not just pills either. My girlfriend became addicted to nasal spray and didn't even realize it. When it wasn't working anymore she went back to the doctor and that is when she was told she had become addicted, and they had to wean her off of it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's a really stupid take. Laine doesn't drink so it would seem this player assistance program could be because of mental problems that could very well be concussion related. Lots of former players like Franzen and Savard have talked about their concussions and depression. Here's Savards piece from Player's Tribune.

The thing is, protocols rely on the player telling the truth about how they are feeling.

Did Laine tell the right how he was feeling after concussion? :huh:

Reactions: LoveCBJ

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

He could be f***ing lying about not drinking for all you guys know. Not many people with severe issues openly talk about their issues. It’s obviously SOMETHING under the surface that nobody (publicly) knows a thing about.

Let me also reiterate that there was nothing hinted at about him being impacted by anything in any way like this before it came out. Why do you think that is? Did the team have prior knowledge of something before the “setback” on the road trip? What does Brandon Dubinsky feel about the situation??

For every player like Savard/Franzen and Laine, how many more full contact athletes out there who never made it, or “everyday people” are out there with similar issues, that you and most others don’t give a 2nd thought about at any time??

And you know what, there’s still a hockey team that needs to be run. I’m more than fine with giving him his 10s of millions of Nationwide dollars, and he can take time off away back home in Finland and get his head straight or do whatever he wants. As long as the 8 million is off the cap and we can replace the money with another player or 2.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I wish Patrik Laine had the consistency in his scoring that you have in beclowning yourself. It's remarkable.

Concussions and mental health problems go together. Try reading up before you write.
The issues with Laine have not just popped up after this latest concussion.

I’d also like to know what you believe could have possibly happened within the last week that could have caused his concussion to somehow cause something else out of the blue to send him home from a team road trip??

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH

I’d also like to know what you believe could have possibly happened within the last week that could have caused his concussion to somehow cause something else out of the blue to send him home from a team road trip??
Who says it's out of the blue? The guy hasn't been on the ice because of injury. Maybe he's been dealing with it for weeks, and he's been trying to get it under control in time for his return, and he just didn't get there in time? Maybe because he's not a mental health professional, he wasn't able to acknowledge it right away?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It was reported that he had a setback in his collarbone recovery. Maybe that set him off?

We have no idea. That's one of a bazillion scenarios we could come up with.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Who says it's out of the blue? The guy hasn't been on the ice because of injury. Maybe he's been dealing with it for weeks, and he's been trying to get it under control in time for his return, and he just didn't get there in time? Maybe because he's not a mental health professional, he wasn't able to acknowledge it right away?
Just to be clear, he’s not on the IR because of any concussion issues. Like physical issues, right? Dizzy? Anything??

And he’s a professional athlete that gets paid ridiculous amounts of money, for what exactly?? Where is the line when it comes to “mental health”, where you wouldn’t consider it acceptable or not for him to not play? Dog death, wife/GF break up?? Would that be considered acceptable? Why or why not, when nobody has any actual info now? Society is at a CROSSROADS when it comes to everything “mental health”.

If these were issues caused by the concussion, he would go back/stay on the IR and see a “mental health professional”. Wouldn’t that be the scenario if it actually was related to the concussions??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It was reported that he had a setback in his collarbone recovery. Maybe that set him off?

We have no idea. That's one of a bazillion scenarios we could come up with.

Set what off though??

If it was concussion or injury related would he not just continue on the regular IR??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
They took him off IR?

The player assistance program has resources for players. I don't think it’s just for healthy players.
I’m saying/asking, what’s the point of putting him in the assistance program if it’s something that has to do with the prior injuries?? I genuinely don’t understand the difference in what the program can offer, that other doctors or “mental health experts” can offer while he was simply on IR. What are these “resources”??

To be clear, I think there’s more to it than “mental health”, while also at the same time don’t really view that as an acceptable excuse either. Plenty of people pay money to play the game to literally IMPROVE their mental health. And he’s a PROFESSIONAL player making millions. If playing hockey negatively impacts his “mental health”, then that’s a problem in itself, as he is a professional hockey player.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I will say that a good break and getting help could do wonders for him.

I've never gone for any sort of mental counseling. Maybe I should have at some point but I have considered it during some rough moments.

I will say that I have activities in my life that have always been fun for me and then I reached a point where they were not fun so I took a break and distanced myself from it a bit.

Who knows how long this will last but stepping away for maybe the rest of the season could do wonders for coming back refreshed and hopefully healthy. It sounds like he'll be taking care of himself first and foremost. This should always be his priority.

For me personally, I've decided to take care of myself first over everything else and stop putting other things over myself. Since early December, I've lost 25 pounds and feel great after I do a lengthy session on an elliptical machine. I'm considering buying a bike for when the weather gets warmer and I'm feeling mentally refreshed with a purpose of taking care of me.

I'm not saying my situation is like Patrick at all but I can certainly sympathize on taking care of yourself and hopefully changing your life for the better while refreshing your energies towards the things you enjoy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad