Rumor: Patrick Roy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Cool. Make it a relate to the correct period. Sparta was a Greek city state. Senators were the Roman ruling class (Assuming that is what they were going for). Their prominence was separated by several hundred years...

Its analogous to the Detroit Pistons mascot being a pack mule.

Things can be fun or kids and accurate.

Also, there was this...

You’re definitely right and I remember my Greek and Roman history classes. I just don’t think « gladiatorial games cat » or « colosseum cat » has the same ring to it.

I’d be open to other suggestions though.

Reactions: NyQuil

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You’re definitely right and I remember my Greek and Roman history classes. I just don’t think « gladiatorial games cat » or « colosseum cat » has the same ring to it.

De-Brin-Cat - maybe naming the mascot after him will change his mind to stay.

• Haha
Reactions: Bileur

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That’s pretty good actually
We Dress this guy up

1687467714257.png

In this Uni

1687467815877.png

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zub

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Cool. Make it a relate to the correct period. Sparta was a Greek city state. Senators were the Roman ruling class (Assuming that is what they were going for). Their prominence was separated by several hundred years...

Also, there was this...

Meh, it’s just all swords and sandals references at the end of the day.

Reactions: NyQuil

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca

Maximus Decimus Meridius, but of course we just call him...

MAXIMUS! MAXIMUS! MAXIMUS!

Doesn't need some clever pun.

Reactions: Bileur

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I feel that there absolutely needs to be a complete changing of the guard - replace both Dorion and Smith before the season starts. The league knows how these 2 operate and I'd rather not give either of them a grace period to see if they can change gears now that there has been an ownership change. Bring in winners.

It is quite clear now, that this will not happen…. As new ownership will not be taking over until September.

What exactly do you mean by “ the league knows how these 2 operate” ?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I never had a problem with Spartacat. My nieces like him.

A lion is cooler than a lot of other mascot animals, or some old white guy in a toga.

seems a little harsh, why all the negativity being aimed at the elderly and in particular caucasians?

The Former PMs racing around the rink between periods was entertaining.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

In fact, the Romans were great admirers of Sparta's traditions.

E.g. "It became fashionable for the Romans to visit Lacedaemon and see the rites of Artemis Orthia, as a sort of tourist attraction – the nearest Greece had to offer to gladiatorial games"

AND

"Sparta became a popular tourist attraction. The Romans admired Spartan discipline, and came in droves to watch the agoge in action. Augustus himself visited Sparta, and ate in one of the communal mess halls. Hadrian visited twice, and was even elected patronomos, an official charged with upholding ancient customs.

For the benefit of a Roman audience, “ancient” rituals of endurance and punishment were remembered - or more probably, invented. The most notorious was the diamastigosis (flagellation) that took place at the Temple of Artemis Orthia. Here, in a temple ringed by seating for spectators (see the reconstruction below), Spartan teenagers were whipped in a contest of endurance, often to point of death. As Plutarch says in his Ancient Customs of the Spartans:

“The boys in Sparta were lashed with whips during the entire day at the altar of Artemis Orthia, frequently to the point of death, and they bravely endured this, cheerful and proud, vying with one another for the supremacy as to which one of them could endure being beaten for the longer time and the greater number of blows. And the one who was victorious was held in especial repute. This competition is called 'The Flagellation,' and it takes place each year.” (40)

Might want to brush up on your history. It might actually be consistent with Roman antiquity that they would create a mascot out of a Spartan.

Looks like we can all collectively relax and take solace in the fact that "Spartacat" would make sense historically for a Roman audience. Another bullet dodged!

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
In fact, the Romans were great admirers of Sparta's traditions.

E.g. "It became fashionable for the Romans to visit Lacedaemon and see the rites of Artemis Orthia, as a sort of tourist attraction – the nearest Greece had to offer to gladiatorial games"

AND

"Sparta became a popular tourist attraction. The Romans admired Spartan discipline, and came in droves to watch the agoge in action. Augustus himself visited Sparta, and ate in one of the communal mess halls. Hadrian visited twice, and was even elected patronomos, an official charged with upholding ancient customs.

For the benefit of a Roman audience, “ancient” rituals of endurance and punishment were remembered - or more probably, invented. The most notorious was the diamastigosis (flagellation) that took place at the Temple of Artemis Orthia. Here, in a temple ringed by seating for spectators (see the reconstruction below), Spartan teenagers were whipped in a contest of endurance, often to point of death. As Plutarch says in his Ancient Customs of the Spartans:

“The boys in Sparta were lashed with whips during the entire day at the altar of Artemis Orthia, frequently to the point of death, and they bravely endured this, cheerful and proud, vying with one another for the supremacy as to which one of them could endure being beaten for the longer time and the greater number of blows. And the one who was victorious was held in especial repute. This competition is called 'The Flagellation,' and it takes place each year.” (40)

Might want to brush up on your history. It might actually be consistent with Roman antiquity that they would create a mascot out of a Spartan.

Looks like we can all collectively relax and take solace in the fact that "Spartacat" would make sense historically for a Roman audience. Another bullet dodged!
I'm well aware of Rome's interest in Sparta. They were somewhat glorified by Roman Stoics (like Plutarch somewhat) for political reasons. I think you will find my knowledge of Roman history to be reasonably good.

They also made up stories about being decended from Aeneus because they liked the stories of Troy.

Romans were prolific "cultural appropriators" incorporating many gods, stories and histories into their tradition if it suited them.

While they might have a Spartan Mascot themselves, presumably for a team named after Sparta, it's a little "second order" to name a Mascot after a thing only tangentially connected to Rome or Senators .

Do you think it was the marketing people being clever or ignorant or (more likely) indifferent?

Make you a deal, I'll brush up on my history, you brush up on your reasoning skills.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I think it's someone getting worked up over something that is relatively insignificant, and as it turns out, completely consistent with historical fact anyway.
It really isn't consistent though.

By your example, it's the equivalent of the New England Patiots mascot wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes because American Revolutionaries were influenced by and appreciated Scottish Enlightenment thinkers (example: Hume and Smith).

But your argument, as flawed as it is, is just a "red herring". You know as well as I do that the people who created Spartacat weren't thinking of it as an homage to some Romans appreciation for Sparta, but rather them just seeing it all as "Sword and Sandal".

I appreciate historical accuracy but I am not "getting worked up". You just seem to be arguing for ita own sake.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It really isn't consistent though.

By your example, it's the equivalent of the New England Patiots mascot wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes because American Revolutionaries were influenced by and appreciated Scottish Enlightenment thinkers (example: Hume and Smith).

But your argument, as flawed as it is, is just a "red herring". You know as well as I do that the people who created Spartacat weren't thinking of it as an homage to some Romans appreciation for Sparta, but rather them just seeing it all as "Sword and Sandal".

I appreciate historical accuracy but I am not "getting worked up". You just seem to be arguing for ita own sake.
No one cares, it’s a mascot.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I guess I thought you were when you said that it was "f***ing embarrassing" when it's really far down on the list of embarrassing things associated with this franchise IMO.
When measured on a scale of easy to hard to get right, it's pretty f***ing embarrassing.

Then there was this.

I was there and it pretty much broke my brain.

Also, I swear alot. Don't read it as emphasise.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
No one cares, it’s a mascot.
Sure.

But I'm not going to apologise for thinking it's a stupid mascot and having contempt for the marketing team, especially in the first half of Sens history.

Opening night at the new arena with massive amounts of obstructive views & and the aforementioned "This is Sparta" opener are all time gaffs both of which I witnessed in person.

All are symptoms of a c grade back office this team has employed. I am however optimistic about the future under Andlauer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sure.

But I'm not going to apologise for thinking it's a stupid mascot and having contempt for the marketing team, especially in the first half of Sens history.

Opening night at the new arena with massive amounts of obstructive views & and the aforementioned "This is Sparta" opener are all time gaffs both of which I witnessed in person.

All are symptoms of a c grade back office this team has employed. I am however optimistic about the future under Andlauer.
If Dorion stays on as a mascot , what costume would you suggest for him to wear. It will still be a stupid mascot. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad