TSN: Patrick O'Sullivan 'Everyone hates the Canucks'

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
At some point you grow up and man up and realize you stop blaming your childhood for everything, as an adult in their thirties you've been on your own enough and had enough time to build your own life.
I feel for Patrick O'Sullivan as a child, but as an adult he needs to move on for his own kids sake.

It's pathetic the depths he's going to try and become relevant, and keep his name in the news to try to squeeze out a few more book sales

I hope he can find peace with himself and move on from the bitterness and resentment he clings to so strongly

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Someone needs to take away this guy's microphone. He's a miserable person that says dumb stuff and brings no analysis. He should probably distance himself from the game for his own mental wellbeing. He just seems to hate hockey generally.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Feel sorry for the guy tbh. He obviously hasn't gotten over his childhood and still breeds the negativity and contempt that he was subjected to. I find it a bit funny that he chooses to direct it at the Canucks and us fans but hey, that's typical lashing out by an emotionally stunted person.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey Gillis and/or Sedin haters. I encourage you to take the time to read and understand the bolded.

This is coming from a fan of the greatest crap show the NHL has ever seen and probably will EVER see.

Giving Sbisa a raise was a middle finger to Bieksa.

Giving Dorsett a raise was a middle finger to Higgins.

Not resigning Matthias and Richardson was just plain ignorance.

Pivoting to a youth first strategy in the 2nd year of your reign as GM while pissing off all your veterans in the process is not smart strategy.

Pivoting back to a veteran first strategy in the 3rd year of your reign as GM while pissing off all your young players who you had put on a pedestal the entire 2nd year is not smart strategy.

The Sedins, Burr and Edler's contracts aren't holding this team back, it's our moronic front office's series of terribad decisions resulting in a jaded veteran core and horrible player development that is holding this team back.

We are extremely lucky that the Sedins and Burr still have gas in the tank and still care about competing for this team as without the Sedins, this team would be pretty close to being unwatchable and without Burr, Bo and Bae wouldn't be nearly as dangerous as they look right now.

Like I've said before, there is no right way to rebuild as every team's situation is different. Your Canucks were actually in a very good situation to do an on the fly retool while still remaining competitive (see 14-15 season) until Jimbo ****ed it all the way up.

Bingo. I may not be an expert on rebuilding but having watched most of the Oilers games since Gamecenter came out I can tell you what the Oilers lacked in a big way. Insulation of youth, keeping the youth from being bullied and rag dolled, solid role models on the team, a reasonable defense, decent coaching, we lacked pretty much all of those and that is why the team has been the ****show that it has been for so long.

You guys... Look at yourselves closely when you make some of these comments.

This is a man who has survived abuse and significant emotional trauma. Calling him a ***** and a ***** because he's sensitive to it being invoked on the ice is absolutely, irredeemably pathetic. You suggesting victim mentality or whatever is inexcusable and heartless.

If you can't empathize and think rationally, take the high road... Hell, the HUMAN road... and say nothing at all. Please.

O'Sullivan is hardly the only one in this world that has encountered that. You don't know what I have gone through in my life for example. For me I keep what I have gone through close to my vest and only share it with those that I trust and love or to help others. If Patrick wants to allow what happened to him over ~18 years ruin his entire life then that is his problem. It is over with, deal with it as you must and put it behind you as best you can. Dwelling on such things only gives the abuser more power. People continually coddling him or giving him a free pass to be an ass because of it does nothing to help him either.

Being abused as a kid is not a prerequisite that guarantees you grow up to be someone of good character. The fact is that he is no longer a kid and he is supposed to have grown up by now. O'Sullivan chose to repeatedly go public with this and in my opinion there is no reasonable expectation that he should receive special treatment for something that happened a long time ago and for something which Burrows nor the fans of the Canucks are even responsible for. I'm not his psychiatrist, we are not his psychiatrists, so it is not our job to prop up his psyche for what he went through a long time ago and play nice with him when he is currently spewing hatred for our team, our city, and my fellow fans.

Taking a shot at the fans is BS, he can hate Burrows until the cows come home and I wouldn't care. Crapping on the fans when they had nothing to do with it is petty at best.

“When I was in Edmonton, I asked for help from the team and I got nothing in return,†O’Sullivan said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2529880/e...omments-from-former-player-patrick-osullivan/

He certainly likes to drag others into his problems.

I understand that he was scarred as a youngster but at some point you need to grow up, accept accountability for your actions and do what you need to do.

At some point you grow up and man up and realize you stop blaming your childhood for everything, as an adult in their thirties you've been on your own enough and had enough time to build your own life.
I feel for Patrick O'Sullivan as a child, but as an adult he needs to move on for his own kids sake.

It's pathetic the depths he's going to try and become relevant, and keep his name in the news to try to squeeze out a few more book sales

I hope he can find peace with himself and move on from the bitterness and resentment he clings to so strongly

Bingo. :yo:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Bingo. I may not be an expert on rebuilding but having watched most of the Oilers games since Gamecenter came out I can tell you what the Oilers lacked in a big way. Insulation of youth, keeping the youth from being bullied and rag dolled, solid role models on the team, a reasonable defense, decent coaching, we lacked pretty much all of those and that is why the team has been the ****show that it has been for so long.

O'Sullivan is hardly the only one in this world that has encountered that. You don't know what I have gone through in my life for example. For me I keep what I have gone through close to my vest and only share it with those that I trust and love or to help others. If Patrick wants to allow what happened to him over ~18 years ruin his entire life then that is his problem. It is over with, deal with it as you must and put it behind you as best you can. Dwelling on such things only gives the abuser more power. People continually coddling him or giving him a free pass to be an ass because of it does nothing to help him either.

Taking a shot at the fans is BS, he can hate Burrows until the cows come home and I wouldn't care. Crapping on the fans when they had nothing to do with it is petty at best.

I understand that he was scarred as a youngster but at some point you need to grow up, accept accountability for your actions and do what you need to do.

Bingo. :yo:
I posted on the main board that I was also mistreated as a kid by my father. I didn't mention that my mother was also involved and that it not only included physical abuse involving weapons being used against me like large metal spoons, belts, pieces of wood or a coffee cup that was thrown at me cutting me for stitches. But I didn't mention that the psychological abuse I endured was even worse. It was actually far worse. A person can be beaten just as badly that way. Try dealing with both. I struggle most to this day with things that were said and done to me but which did not involve physical violence.

I was also sexually abused by a neighbour when I was around 8-12 years old.

I put that **** behind me long ago. I've forgiven my parents and I've never searched for the neighbour to call him out even though I know his full name, his former address, etc. You need to get on with your life and not let this **** consume you. And I would certainly never redirect my anger at people that were never even involved.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I posted on the main board that I was also mistreated as a kid by my father. I didn't mention that my mother was also involved and that it not only included physical abuse involving weapons being used against me like large metal spoons, belts, pieces of wood or a coffee cup that was thrown at me cutting me for stitches. But I didn't mention that the psychological abuse I endured was even worse. It was actually far worse. A person can be beaten just as badly that way. Try dealing with both. I struggle most to this day with things that were said and done to me but which did not involve physical violence.

I put that **** behind me long ago. I've forgiven my parents and I've never searched for the neighbour to call him out even though I know his full name, his former address, etc. You need to get on with your life and not let this **** consume you. And I would certainly never redirect my anger at people that were never even involved.

Wow. Got chills reading that. Sorry to hear my friend.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hey Gillis and/or Sedin haters. I encourage you to take the time to read and understand the bolded.

This is coming from a fan of the greatest crap show the NHL has ever seen and probably will EVER see.

Giving Sbisa a raise was a middle finger to Bieksa.

Giving Dorsett a raise was a middle finger to Higgins.

Not resigning Matthias and Richardson was just plain ignorance.

Pivoting to a youth first strategy in the 2nd year of your reign as GM while pissing off all your veterans in the process is not smart strategy.

Pivoting back to a veteran first strategy in the 3rd year of your reign as GM while pissing off all your young players who you had put on a pedestal the entire 2nd year is not smart strategy.

The Sedins, Burr and Edler's contracts aren't holding this team back, it's our moronic front office's series of terribad decisions resulting in a jaded veteran core and horrible player development that is holding this team back.

We are extremely lucky that the Sedins and Burr still have gas in the tank and still care about competing for this team as without the Sedins, this team would be pretty close to being unwatchable and without Burr, Bo and Bae wouldn't be nearly as dangerous as they look right now.

Like I've said before, there is no right way to rebuild as every team's situation is different. Your Canucks were actually in a very good situation to do an on the fly retool while still remaining competitive (see 14-15 season) until Jimbo ****ed it all the way up.

This literally has 0 to do with O'Sullivans recent tirade.

Wrong thread.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Wow. Got chills reading that. Sorry to hear my friend.
Thanks but I am certainly not fishing for sympathy. Of course I appreciate your comment though. I was trying to demonstrate that Patrick O'Sullivan isn't the only person on the planet who's had to deal with **** in his life but he is certainly acting like it. I may believe differently if he was actually trying to do something positive for survivors of abuse, but his shtick seems to be that he is a professional victim who is lashing out and blaming everybody else and riding his experiences to financial profit.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Very sorry to hear that. On the flip side I commend you for not using all of those incidents to be a crutch that you use. I would've never suspected any of that based on our conversations in the past and it is a reflection of how strong and special of an individual you are. One day when I'm not battling kidney stone pain I will share my life experiences with you as well. I wasn't sexually abused but I had physical and emotional abuse and I agree that the emotional is worse than the physical.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
in re-listening to the interview and other comments he has made. In recent times it is more aimed towards the fans then the team and that leads us into a topic that turns nasty.
Not all of our fan base are the nicest people in the world

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Haven't the Canucks signed a relatively high number of the "top free agents" in the market?

2016 - Loui Eriksson (#3 rated ufa per Sportsnet)
2015 - None; also, no cap space
2014 - Radim Vrbata (#15 overall per SB Nation) + Ryan Miller (#1 rated goalie, 2nd overral per SB Nation)
2013 - None; also, no cap space due to the decreasing cap
2012 - Jason Garrison (#2 rated dman)
2011 - Dan Hamhuis (top rated dman)
Also, don't remember when but weren't Demitra (2008) and Sundin (2008) two of the top 10 UFAs?

Yes, you are correct. Junior just likes doing the whole "nobody wants to play for the Canucks, they are so hated and no UFA will come here" thing, he has been doing it for years. Every time someone posts a retort like yours he just ignores it and pops up in another thread.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
If I were Patrick O'Sullivan, I probably wouldn't like the Canucks either. Burrows is OUR scrappy piece of crap but he's still a piece of crap.

As for the fans.. I can't exactly say I entirely disagree. The fans are equal parts fickle and overreactive. There's almost an arrogance because it's a Canadian team, but most of the fans have probably never held a hockey stick, much less laced up their skates and played an actual game. Attending a game during the sellout years seemed to be more about social status than watching hockey.

EDIT:
That radio host is brutal, though. Everyone knows Toronto is an eminently forgettable city - it wants to be NYC, but is just too boring and trashy and uncultured to get there. And trashing Vancouver fans while Toronto fans have blindly supported a terrible team for decades is laughable. The Vancouver Canucks and our fans might not be great, but Toronto is the last place that should be throwing shade.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Very sorry to hear that. On the flip side I commend you for not using all of those incidents to be a crutch that you use. I would've never suspected any of that based on our conversations in the past and it is a reflection of how strong and special of an individual you are. One day when I'm not battling kidney stone pain I will share my life experiences with you as well. I wasn't sexually abused but I had physical and emotional abuse and I agree that the emotional is worse than the physical.
giphy.gif

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The best part is when he says how bad it was that in the cup finales the fans were louder when the Canucks were ahead and quieter when behind...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
in re-listening to the interview and other comments he has made. In recent times it is more aimed towards the fans then the team and that leads us into a topic that turns nasty.
Not all of our fan base are the nicest people in the world

As a professional athlete your not even suppose to let the opposition get the best of you mentally let a lone fans? When was the last time you heard of any athlete complain about a fan base? What he is saying is disgraceful and he needs to cut this childish crap.

Wow he's getting ripped to shreds right now, even Jason Botchford and Jake Virtanen is stepping in.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think best to treat this guy the same way we deal with internet trolls or that pile of excrement you see on the side of a highway - apathy. Let him have his monologue to support his fragile ego.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Burrows even apologized. A stand-up guy would accept that and move on.

A remarkable person would forgive him. A great person would forget him. A regular person would react his way re: hating burrows. I love me some burr but what he said was pretty awful.

Hating the city and fans. Whatever. I don't know him so I don't have an opinion.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
I understand him not being able to forgive Burrows, but to go on a 15 minute tantrum on TSN radio and then to continue cry on twitter about Vancouver fans :rolleyes: Good entertainment for those of us with thicker skin though :laugh:

It's the comments about the fans that are ridiculous. He may, check that, he does have a valid case to have misgivings about players on the Canucks, but he crossed the line by calling out the fans. That was garbage.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I understand him not being able to forgive Burrows, but to go on a 15 minute tantrum on TSN radio and then to continue cry on twitter about Vancouver fans :rolleyes: Good entertainment for those of us with thicker skin though :laugh:
Yeah rethinking that a little, he doesn't have to forgive Burrows. Who am I to say that. But he sure likes to use the media to whine about it 10 years after the fact and around the time he has a book to sell or ratings to prop up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad