Line Combos: Patrick Marleau playing on Matthews line

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
I could see him going 25g 35a with a lot of those assists being secondary.

This is assuming he spends all season on the line with AM and WN

Last edited:

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
The guy winning the puck battles and getting it back on that line isn't Hyman, it's Auston Matthews. you don't put a 3rd line mucker with your franchise centreman just because he's so good he can make it work. enough is enough.

It's hard to believe how some people look at Hyman's point totals and then think he's so good..
He has played his entire career with one of the best centres in the game who scores goals all by himself.....and Hyman gets points because of that.
Hyman has little skill...he can skate and forecheck but even when he does gets the puck he almost always loses it or passes into a scrum which then is a turnover.
With the puck he is a disaster...he should not be anywhere near a top scoring line.

Having said that...his energy, skating and willingness to sacrifice his body makes him an excellent candidate for a checking/4th line role and if he plays on the right wing where he belongs he could contribute offensively occasionally....

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I believe without a doubt Babcocks meeting with Matthews had to do partly with who he has been playing. Matthews hasnt played a 5 on 5 shift in his career without Hyman, and then out of no where in the summer Babs says Marleau will be moved up with Matthews? Hopefully Babs actually does the change.

No way, just can't see it happening - Hyman will be up there once again on opening night.

Patty will be flanking JT and Mitch

Naz with Brown and AJo

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Hyman is way underrated by HF boards. He is the heart and soul of our team. Many of you clearly forgot but he was by far and away the best Leaf on the ice in the playoffs. There was no one else even remotely close to him. I went to every single game in both toronto and boston arenas and saw each guy. He lacks skills no doubt but he was only guy i saw taking pucks away from bruins. To the guy who says Nylander is good at it - show me one video of him taking 1 puck away from a bruin in a puck battle in any of the 7 games. I maybe saw it 3 or 4 times from Matty too for that matter that i can recollect. Those guys went to sleep on the forecheck completely. Stats are for fools video is for real.

Just like gards just watch video of game 4 and 7 errors and you will see close up why we lost.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Hyman is way underrated by HF boards. He is the heart and soul of our team. Many of you clearly forgot but he was by far and away the best Leaf on the ice in the playoffs. There was no one else even remotely close to him. I went to every single game in both toronto and boston arenas and saw each guy. He lacks skills no doubt but he was only guy i saw taking pucks away from bruins. To the guy who says Nylander is good at it - show me one video of him taking 1 puck away from a bruin in a puck battle in any of the 7 games. I maybe saw it 3 or 4 times from Matty too for that matter that i can recollect. Those guys went to sleep on the forecheck completely. Stats are for fools video is for real.

Just like gards just watch video of game 4 and 7 errors and you will see close up why we lost.

Hyman is so good Matthews demanded he be removed from his wing and created a controversy around it that almost got our coach fired.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Hyman is so good Matthews demanded he be removed from his wing and created a controversy around it that almost got our coach fired.

Amazing, not a single word you just said happened to be true.

Anyways, Hyman's productivity at 5v5 was good last year, and he got no PP time, AND he actually got less secondary assists than his overall play projected him getting. I would prefer Johnsson playing with Matthews if I'm being honest and Marleau will be interesting as well. But I have no qualms with the guy being in the top 6 after last season.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Leivo/Ennis - Gauthier - Brown​

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Amazing, not a single word you just said happened to be true.

Anyways, Hyman's productivity at 5v5 was good last year, and he got no PP time, AND he actually got less secondary assists than his overall play projected him getting. I would prefer Johnsson playing with Matthews if I'm being honest and Marleau will be interesting as well. But I have no qualms with the guy being in the top 6 after last season.
Hyman has no business in a top 6 role! The least skilled top line winger that I can remember! Babs is just plain stubborn .I bet he doesn't cut the top 6 on any team in the league,in fact I bet he doesn't cut half the rosters in the league! What is his value on the open market? He is a top line winger 2 years running, gotta be worth a good haul !

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Babcock specifically mentioned Marleau on the top line and Hyman with Tavares & Marner. Something he would NEVER have done and likely because it's what they pitched to Tavares in the UFA window. Whether he sticks to it remains to be seen.

Although I never loved Hyman on the top line, Nylander is a terrible down-low player, not great at puck protection or retrieval, so Hyman makes a lot of sense on that line. Matthews is great at every part of the game but I can't imagine Marleau on that line the whole year. Babcock loves himself MORE than everyone thinks (if that's possible).

I know Johnsson's the new shiny toy and I think he's a really smart offensive player, I think he'll work really well with Kadri but wouldn't be surprised to see him move up the lineup. Babs did that during the Boston series already.

As much hate as Hyman gets, he's a really effective forechecker and Matthews seems to put up some nice numbers regardless.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Hyman has no business in a top 6 role! The least skilled top line winger that I can remember! Babs is just plain stubborn .I bet he doesn't cut the top 6 on any team in the league,in fact I bet he doesn't cut half the rosters in the league! What is his value on the open market? He is a top line winger 2 years running, gotta be worth a good haul !

He produced above the rate of an average top 6 forward at 5v5 last year. And he had bad luck with secondary assists.

Hyman is a top 9 forward on pretty much every team in the league. over 0.5 ppg with literally 0 PP time and being primarily a defensive winger is impressive.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He produced above the rate of an average top 6 forward at 5v5 last year. And he had bad luck with secondary assists.

Hyman is a top 9 forward on pretty much every team in the league. over 0.5 ppg with literally 0 PP time and being primarily a defensive winger is impressive.
Well then, he should continue to excel without Mathews and Willy then,if he is all that! Poor Marner about to get saddled with him now, Babs is wrong!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
We like to assign numbers to player's lines. I think Babcock thinks in terms of assignments.
JVR/Bozak are gone. In their place, with Marleau on with Matthews, that line might be put
on in the same role. "Protected" as some might call it, but to Babcock, it will be his offensive
exploiters. Offensive zone face-off? Put out Matthews/Marleau. They will feast.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
For me its two spots up for grabs 4th line centre and 4th line left wing

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Brown/Kapanen
_______ ______ Brown Kapanen

Leivo, Ennis, Grundstrom, Marchment, Engvall Moore fighting for the 4th line left wing spot. The first two obviously with the best chance.

Lindholm, Goat and maybe Jooris fighting for the 4th line centre spot. 90% sure it's going to be Lindholm though.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
So I guess we are looking at

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-???-Brown

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I actually kinda hope Marchment gets the 4th line LW job. I think he could be a very versatile player for us and provide toughness.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Not sure h0w many hf people played competitively and how many are the analytics types on their computers. But my gut tells me most of people who understand Hyman's game used to play. Those who never played probably can't get it and thats ok too. Hyman would make top 9 (most 6) on every single team in the NHL. Every team needs a big strong fearless fast smart forechecker and backchecker who is strong on the puck and plays in the tough areas. He also keeps his control and does not take the dumb penalties that a lot of guys do who play like him.

He is better suited to playoff hockey where every inch of ice is earned and nothing is given. Which is why he was really the only Leaf who could defeat the Bruins. Without Hyman that series was over in 4 games. You people may not like the truth but we need 2 more Hyman's up front and 2 more on defence. Purely skilled teams often lose in playoffs because the game is reffed and played differently.

Reactions: diceman934

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just noticed he had like 5 empty net goals, might be hard to hit 30 this coming year if that was the case (hard to repeat that).

His assist total should jump up though getting to set up Matthe s

Not if he's out protecting a lead 82 times. :naughty:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Do people forget things after the season ends Marleau played on the shut down line or centers his own line when Mathews was hurt. His 5on5 production suffered as he was used as a defensive forward and lots of time at end of games protecting leads. This year he is to play with Mathews in a more offensive role and improves that line a lot.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not sure h0w many hf people played competitively and how many are the analytics types on their computers. But my gut tells me most of people who understand Hyman's game used to play. Those who never played probably can't get it and thats ok too. Hyman would make top 9 (most 6) on every single team in the NHL. Every team needs a big strong fearless fast smart forechecker and backchecker who is strong on the puck and plays in the tough areas. He also keeps his control and does not take the dumb penalties that a lot of guys do who play like him.

He is better suited to playoff hockey where every inch of ice is earned and nothing is given. Which is why he was really the only Leaf who could defeat the Bruins. Without Hyman that series was over in 4 games. You people may not like the truth but we need 2 more Hyman's up front and 2 more on defence. Purely skilled teams often lose in playoffs because the game is reffed and played differently.
Your take is bang on. Most on here have never been exposed to competive hockey and I am not talking minor hockey. So many small things happen in games that are lost of many people.

Like attempting to assign blame on a goal against without having a hot clue on rotations we are using.

I supported Hyman’s spot on that Line all the last two years and so many people think that it is because Babs has a crush on Hyman referring to him as his son etc the Gud pro comments come from several posters who lack understanding of what happens game in and game out and how much it changes in the playoffs. Hyman and our smallest Forward Marner were the only two forwards other then Kadri who’s suspension hurt us were consistently willing to hit and be hit to make plays . One Forward was so frieghten it made me sick watching him. He pulled the chute several times during the season but against Boston he did it everytime giving up possible possession or creating a 50/50 puck. He needs to grow a pair and soon.

As well as I see Johnnson being mentioned as a top line winger far to much as he has did near nothing to earn a spot in our top 6 and until he does he is a bottom six winger with speed and skill but lacking in boards skills to help a line maintain possession in the O zone. He is good between the dots but outside the dots (dirty areas ) without the puck ,he has not shown me a thing to make me believe he can help out either of our top two lines in a cycle game. He looks like a rush player who may benifit by playing with Kadri who along with Brown can do most of the grunt work on that line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad