Line Combos: Patrick Marleau playing on Matthews line

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The biggest threat to our offense is Babcock putting Hyman in the top 6 (especially on the left wing).

I like Hyman... great player... but Babcock is not utilizing him correctly. I hope he gets put in a bottom 6 spot where he will have a positive impact on the team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The biggest threat to our offense is Babcock putting Hyman in the top 6 (especially on the left wing).

I like Hyman... great player... but Babcock is not utilizing him correctly. I hope he gets put in a bottom 6 spot where he will have a positive impact on the team.

Hyman -- Tavares -- Marner is already the stated plan for next year.

Zach will do for JT and Mitch which he successfully did for Auston and Willie and most importantly provide defensive stability for his new line.

Marleau on Matthews line increases the offensive attack when opponents best players are tasked against the Tavares line.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I believe without a doubt Babcocks meeting with Matthews had to do partly with who he has been playing. Matthews hasnt played a 5 on 5 shift in his career without Hyman, and then out of no where in the summer Babs says Marleau will be moved up with Matthews? Hopefully Babs actually does the change.

The reported reason why Matthews was upset was due to how much he played, not who he played with. (Unless you have something that I perhaps missed, which is possible)

Also, Babcock pitched Tavares on playing with Hyman and Marner, as obviously Babcock feels those are the two best players to compliment Tavares.

Hyman potted 40 points between 5v5 and the PK last season, which was very good. We want to see a bit more growth this year into the 45-50 range.

If he starts to get PP time, then you obviously want to see him closer to 60 points

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Hyman -- Tavares -- Marner is already the stated plan for next year.

Zach will do for JT and Mitch which he successfully did for Auston and Willie and most importantly provide defensive stability for his new line.

Marleau on Matthews line increases the offensive attack when opponents best players are tasked against the Tavares line.

Hyman did not provide defensive stability. Matthews did that.

Hyman was always the first guy in on the boards, and the last one back to defend.

Reactions: hector morrison

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hyman did not provide defensive stability. Matthews did that.

Hyman was always the first guy in on the boards, and the last one back to defend.

A centre has a bigger defensive responsibility as it comes with the position..

Wingers Dzone responsibilities are less and tasked with winning puck battles to get the puck out of the Dzone giving teammates an outlet to and cover tailing attackers including the opposition Dmen and the point.

Hyman wins puck battles all over the ice on the forcheck as well as the backcheck and why do you think Babs puts Hyman on the PK#1 unit while Auston and Willie sit on the bench while killing penalties?.. Its obviously because of Zach's Dzone play that he draws that assignment due to his defensive ablities.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Marleau will score close to 30 again this year being a speedy responsible trigger man while Matthews and Nylander toy with 2-3rd line opposition.

I seem to remember Tavares loved playing with Kulemin the first year he went there. Tavares is a beast but I think he really appreciates having a defensive board battling motor on his wing. I think Hyman will be good for 45 points next season and might actually increase the longevity of Tavares's career a bit by doing all his dirty work.

I'm excited to see Johnson's game develop with Kadri and I think learning how to drive offence while playing on a more shut down line will do wonders once Marleau leaves in 1-2 years and he graduates to Matthews' line.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Don't forget that these lines might shuffle a bit. I'd much prefer Johnsson's tenacity and speed on Matthews wing. I like Marleau and he still has plenty of game left but I think I prefer him with Kadri and maybe a Kapanen.

We'll see. We still have 2 months before training camp.
I completely agree. I dont think Marleau will work with well with matthews and nylander.

Johnsson/Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Johnsson/Kapanen

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marleau will score close to 30 again this year being a speedy responsible trigger man while Matthews and Nylander toy with 2-3rd line opposition.

I seem to remember Tavares loved playing with Kulemin the first year he went there. Tavares is a beast but I think he really appreciates having a defensive board battling motor on his wing. I think Hyman will be good for 45 points next season and might actually increase the longevity of Tavares's career a bit by doing all his dirty work.

I'm excited to see Johnson's game develop with Kadri and I think learning how to drive offence while playing on a more shut down line will do wonders once Marleau leaves in 1-2 years and he graduates to Matthews' line.

Tavares is a "high end grinder" like a Sidney Crosby, and he thrives with guys like Kunitz, whom you wouldn't think would be a good line mate.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander

Hyman-Tavares-Marner

Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen

Ennis/Leivo/Grundstrom-Lindholm-Brown

Although I would expect, with both Marleau's chemistry with Kadri and the year I expect Johnsson to have, Johnsson and Marleau would eventually change places.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I would have liked to see hyman with tavares... Marner and Tavares might be interesting but I think Hyman and Tavares could really be a dynamic duo especially with the tenacity with the puck

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
I would have liked to see hyman with tavares... Marner and Tavares might be interesting but I think Hyman and Tavares could really be a dynamic duo especially with the tenacity with the puck
Why does Marner/Tavares mean that you can't see Hyman/Tavares lol

Reactions: frog

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I just hope Matthews isn't dictating who his linemates will be. Whether we agree with Babs decisions or not, it should be his decision based on what's best for the team.

I find it somewhat odd that after being stapled to Hyman for 2 years, that he's suddenly going to play with Marleau. I can't help but wonder if Babs recent meeting with Matthews has anything to do with it.

For what it's worth, I would have left the first line intact, as they were dominant most nights when Matthews was healthy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I just hope Matthews isn't dictating who his linemates will be. Whether we agree with Babs decisions or not, it should be his decision based on what's best for the team.

I find it somewhat odd that after being stapled to Hyman for 2 years, that he's suddenly going to play with Marleau. I can't help but wonder if Babs recent meeting with Matthews has anything to do with it.

For what it's worth, I would have left the first line intact, as they were dominant most nights when Matthews was healthy.
I can't see that. He may have offered some input but there can only be one coach.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If it was up to Matthews I suspect he'd be on a line with Marner

Reactions: JayDog17

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017

Hyman's production for the minutes given, and taking into consideration that he actually should have had MORE secondary assists than he ended up with last year, was actually quite good.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just noticed he had like 5 empty net goals, might be hard to hit 30 this coming year if that was the case (hard to repeat that).

His assist total should jump up though getting to set up Matthe s

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I think its an interesting potential move by Babcock. Given Babcocks history for line matching, he's obviously got something in mind, what also is interesting is will he deploy differently at home vs the road and whether this year he's more willing to explore different options with the line combinations given the centre depth we now have. Something like this could be interesting:

Home
Hyman-Tavares-Marner against top lines
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander against 2nd pairings
Johnson-Kadri-Kap/Brown against 3rd pairings

If he matches up the Kadri line against top lines, then I suspect he's going Johnson-Kadri-Brown. Even if I would love to see Kappy given more of a chance there. But can you imagine, that would mean one of the Tavares-Marner or Matthews-Nylander line would go up against another team's 3rd line :naughty:

Away
This is where it gets more interesting, I'm hoping the focus here of line matching is less given we won't have last change and our new found depth. Could he potentially deploy lines this way:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander (great existing chemistry and can match up against any line)
Marleau-Kadri-Marner (same as above)
Johnson-Tavares-Kappy (could potentially develop great chemistry and match up against any line)

In any case, will be interesting to see, exciting times ahead!

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
How about some experimentation with a Reilly - Gardiner pairing?

Dermott - Zeitsev/Hainsey can slot in as the second pairing.

Reactions: Duckrider

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Do you know if Babcock intend to boost a first PP unit made of Matthews Tavares Nylander Marner and Reilly like Pittsburg and some other teams do and play almost the full 2 minutes, or he rather plan to roll 2 PP units with about 1 min each?

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Where did Babcock say he's taking Hyman away from Matthews?

Link??

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Where did Babcock say he's taking Hyman away from Matthews?

Link??

Babcock has coached Tavares twice before, at the 2014 Sochi Olympics and the 2016 World Cup, and said that if he was icing a team today, he’d have Tavares centering Mitch Marner and Zach Hyman, with Auston Matthews between William Nylander and Patrick Marleau.

https://www.tsn.ca/coming-home-maple-leafs-win-the-tavares-sweepstakes-1.1128197

I have not seen any video (if there is any), but other reporters posted the same on Twitter.

Reactions: BTP

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
A centre has a bigger defensive responsibility as it comes with the position..

Wingers Dzone responsibilities are less and tasked with winning puck battles to get the puck out of the Dzone giving teammates an outlet to and cover tailing attackers including the opposition Dmen and the point.

Hyman wins puck battles all over the ice on the forcheck as well as the backcheck and why do you think Babs puts Hyman on the PK#1 unit while Auston and Willie sit on the bench while killing penalties?.. Its obviously because of Zach's Dzone play that he draws that assignment due to his defensive ablities.

This is pretty much a load of bullcorn right here.

The guy winning the puck battles and getting it back on that line isn't Hyman, it's Auston Matthews. you don't put a 3rd line mucker with your franchise centreman just because he's so good he can make it work. enough is enough.

having said that it's way too early to worry about line combos. I think the progress of Johnsson and Kapanen will something to say about the top 6.

Reactions: hector morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4