Speculation: Patrick Marleau Discussion Thread

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
^^^ All of the options seem unlikely and/or unrealistic. Maybe read the article a little more closely with a clear, pragmatic mind.

Ummmm you do realize that the article is by some random fan right? It’s a fan blog. It has all been discussed at length. It’s not an insider.

You can say they seem unrealistic to you. That’s fine.

Some people might say that Hosea becoming so allergic to his equipment and the medication becoming life threatening in the off season. May be unrealistic.

Some people may say Sobotka leaving money on the table was unrealistic.

Some people might say that zetterberg being able to use LTIR and getting away with cap circumvention AFTER admitting that it was always his intention was unrealistic.

But guess what. They happened.

I personally think that the leafs talking about adding players and wanting to sign gardiner and not bridging matthews if they expect to keep marleau is unrealistic.

I personally think that Tavares choosing to sign with a team that was going to have to lose players. Would have considered it.

That sounds unrealistic to me

Honest question. Do you ever contribute any ideas or possibilities? Or just tell people they are unrealistic.

What do you think they will do?
Do you think they lied to Tavares? Or he didn’t have a 77 page book? Or it never came up?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ummmm you do realize that the article is by some random fan right? It’s a fan blog. It has all been discussed at length.

Since GMs and team management don't write any articles like this, everything written has about the same status. There's lots of things written by even so-called Insiders that are nothing more than speculation. However, somethings that are written have a factual basis and are true, and some are not. Its up to the discerning mind to figure that out.

All you can use to judge and try to ascertain the veracity of something is the level of research, details, references to rules/CBA, logical/rational thinking and this kind of thing.

But research, reasonable objective thinking, and logical premises are certainly a lot better than working backwards from what you'd like to happen. I was an engineer all my life, started a company that was successful and employed over 160 people, a was a company that made between $300 - $500 million annually. So, I trust my ability to logically work through things much more than the average subjective fan that desperately wants something to happen. This stuff is all pretty simple versus what I handled for decades on a day-to-day basis.

As for your questions and personal attacks, I will not respond to the them (the so called "honest questions"). They are unnecessary on every level, and are also against the CoC.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Since GMs and team management don't write any articles like this, everything written has about the same status. There's lots of things written by even so-called Insiders that are nothing more than speculation. However, somethings that are written have a factual basis and are true, and some are not. Its up to the discerning mind to figure that out.

All you can use to judge and try to ascertain the veracity of something is the level of research, details, references to rules/CBA, logical/rational thinking and this kind of thing.

But research, reasonable objective thinking, and logical premises are certainly a lot better than working backwards from what you'd like to happen. I was an engineer all my life, started a company that was successful and employed over 160 people, a was a company that made between $300 - $500 million annually. So, I trust my ability to logically work through things much more than the average subjective fan that desperately wants something to happen. This stuff is all pretty simple versus what I handled for decades on a day-to-day basis.

As for your questions and personal attacks, I will not respond to the them (the so called "honest questions"). They are unnecessary on every level, and are also against the CoC.

You realize you are quoting a random blogger named. “Actingafulemin”. I’m sure you are aware that anyone on this site can make a website. This persons opinion has no more basis and knowledge than any person here. In fact many of them actually are posters here. The guy I’m pretty sure who runs the site actually used to post here but I think got in trouble for harassing Tyler Bozak or something???? It could be another site. But one of the most “successful” independent bloggers was a poster who was banned from this site.

Sources do matter. Insiders go on the air. Have podcasts. Do articles. I’m not sure why you are saying they don’t.

Insiders do talk about these things. Many have suggested marleau could move. In fact bob McKenzie was taking about who could move. Guess who he mentioned first? Like 15 min ago.

Patrick Marleau.

I’m a doctor. Not an engineer.
So maybe you can help. But I’m pretty sure my engineering roommates in university Told me that the whole point of it is to find solutions to problems.

You have identified a problem

You have not explained one time how you would provide a solution. How do you think they are going to do this? How does it fit in with babcock (who said they were signing 2 big guys. And they did) saying they were going to sign gardiner. Mid year.

How do you think your solution makes sense with Tavares saying he chose the leafs because they wouldn’t have to subtract?

Actually provide a solution or idea
That fits with the current evidence.

You aren’t the thought police. I don’t see what you get out of coming here and telling people what will or won’t work. Contribute.

Who knows. You could be 100 percent right.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
When we signed marleau it didnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that that 3rd year was going to give us a washed up hockey player/cap issues unless they had some sort of trade/retirement plan in place.

People complain about matthews salary when realistically we payed marleau 18 mill for 1 good year where he helped the team and likely 2 bad ones where he hurts us.

This signing looks pretty horrible right now if there was never a plan for what we were gonna do year 3 and now we have to trade legit players to keep him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So maybe you can help. But I’m pretty sure my engineering roommates in university Told me that the whole point of it is to find solutions to problems.

You have identified a problem

You have not explained one time how you would provide a solution.

I, along with numerous other realistic posters have identified the solution(s) that is available. We will lose some of the middle of our roster this summer, and will have no choice but to fill holes with very low cost players and ELCs. I have stated numerous times that now is the time for our rookie/ELC defenders (Liljegren/Sandin) to make the transition and step up.

We will need to ride out the storm next season because of the inevitable circumstances. I never believed that we would have no cap problems ever. That was inevitable, and to think otherwise was unrealistic.. Every team has suffered this fate since the Cap was introduced. We don't have a magic wand or some special sauce LOL. In the 2020-21 season, we'll have more cap space to work with to fill holes.

I've said all of the above numerous times in numerous posts. Just because its realistic doesn't mean its wrong. Just because I don't believe in unrealistic solutions that in some cases require bending of the existing rules, its not wrong. That's not my problem.

You tell me not be the thought police and yet tell me what my so-called problems are, and what I should do. Complete hypocrisy. Practice what you preach comes to my mind. Doctor ;)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I, along with numerous other realistic posters have identified the solution(s) that is available. We will lose some of the middle of our roster this summer, and will have no choice but to fill holes with very low cost players and ELCs. I have stated numerous times that now is the time for our rookie/ELC defenders (Liljegren/Sandin) to make the transition and step up.

We will need to ride out the storm next season because of the inevitable circumstances. I never believed that we would have no cap problems ever. That was inevitable, and to think otherwise was unrealistic.. Every team has suffered this fate since the Cap was introduced. We don't have a magic wand or some special sauce LOL. In the 2020-21 season, we'll have more cap space to work with to fill holes.

I've said all of the above numerous times in numerous posts. Just because its realistic doesn't mean its wrong. Just because I don't believe in unrealistic solutions that in some cases require bending of the existing rules, its not wrong. That's not my problem.

You tell me not be the thought police and yet tell me what my so-called problems are, and what I should do. Complete hypocrisy. Doctor ;)

Not hypocrisy at all. People are posting possibilities. Some times using an 85 million cap. Some not. Some keeping marleau. Some not. Most, if not All of these possibilities will be wrong.

But they are all possible.

The difference is. You are being condescending and telling people to read clearly. You are deciding you can determine what is realistic and not. But your reasoning has been completely flawed.

You suggest that the league won’t allow marleau to be LTIR. When it has literally NEVER happened. And is not happening this year to players who have openly admitted it.

You then switched to saying that the leafs hopefully won’t do it. When they have done it to multiple players... 2 of which actually openly disputed it to the media. With nothing happening. You said it was the past. Which also is wrong.

Then you discount multiple media members including bob McKenzie who has multiple times mentioned marleau waiving as a possibility. But act like “acting a fulemin” is somehow a source. And then tell me to read it again...... when the persons whole point is “I don’t know him but I don’t think he would retire or want a trade”.

Fully admitting he has no knowledge

Again you think they will subtract.

Ok. They might. But how does that fit in with talking about adding? How does that fit in with Tavares saying he wanted to come because he was confident they wouldn’t have to subtract? You haven’t answered that?

That’s the thing. You can think it doesn’t work. Marleau May stay. That’s only one of many possibilities I presented.

You are the one who are condescendingly telling people your views and then read them again. You did it to someone else about hainsey just yesterday

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Some times using an 85 million cap.

But they are all possible.

Did you see the tweet from Elliott Freedman that suggested that the cap may go up less than expected because large cap teams are not part of the playoffs this year? Seems like he's suggesting it could be less than the largely anticipated $83 m.

I don't focus on what is possible. I focus on what is "likely", or better yet, "highly likely" ***. The analogy is "gravity". You can't see it, but you know its there. *** Most doctors who have their own businesses would know a thing or two about that.

BTW - I didn't read the rest of your post. Futile.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Did you see the tweet from Elliott Freedman that suggested that the cap may go up less than expected because large cap teams are not part of the playoffs this year? Seems like he's suggesting it could be less than the largely anticipated $83 m.

I don't focus on what is possible. I focus on what is "likely", or better yet, "highly likely" ***. The analogy is "gravity". You can't see it, but you know its there. *** Most doctors who have their own businesses would know a thing or two about that.

Ok? How does that have anything to do with bob McKenzie literally last night saying that they may move on from marleau?

Are you going to tweet him and show him that “acting a fulemin”’doesn’t believe it’s likely? I don’t know if he is aware about that. Maybe you should tell him he is unrealistic.

Make sure to tell him that the leafs will be punished for using LTIR and that you really hope they don’t do it this year

You still haven’t answered how your “realistic” plan fits in with Tavares quotes.... or is he unrealistic?

PS doctor’s “businesses”’are generally called their “practice”’ but it’s kind of irrelevant to hockey talk on off days.

Just like being an engineer has NOTHING to do with hockey. Or determining human behaviour. I always find it hilarious when people talk about their lives here. Like it makes them smart?

Funny story My old roommate is a successful engineer who Does very well for himself
I’m sure he’s great at his job. I had to teach him how to start a lawnmower......

Being an engineer is not some beacon of brilliance. Definitely has nothing to do with talking about hockey.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad