Patrick Marleau and the hall of fame

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
GWG is such a bogus stat - how many goals did he score that truely won the game?

It’s tough to consider him an all time great with 0 personal hardware, 0 top 10s and no Stanley cups. I hate that players are starting to get in on longevity alone. Was he ever even a top 10 player in the league?

I'd like to hear your argument why its a bogus stat. Its a stat that shows that he's made significant contributions to his teams winning games. Those goals are a lot more important than EN goals, or blowout goals...

He does have Top 10s, don't know what you're talking about there... Longevity is just as important as points statistics IMHO. 1500 GP in the world's best hockey league is much more impressive than 500G scored, or a selke trophy, or a lady bing, or a Norris... But maybe thats just me that thinks that...

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
If he retired today..easy yes

In 3 years with 3 cups...first ballot

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Looks like he could play a couple more season for sure. That would put him close to being the all-time Games Played leader. At the moment he is about 3 full NHL seasons away from passing Gordie Howe for #1. That would be damn impressive.

Reactions: JBeast

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he's a hall of famer, but he's basically this generation Gartner. Gartner just happened to play in a way higher scoring era. Great speed and size combo allowed them to age gracefully, but they were never ever viewed among the best at their position in the league. Atleast if post-season all-star voting is relevent.

They also will go down as arguably the best offensive players for their teams at the time of their retirement. Gartner probably got passed by Bondra, and has absolutely passed by Ovi and probably Backstrom.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Premise here is more "will he" than "should he" get in.

Don't think he was good enough in his prime to be there, hof should be reserved for the special Breed of talent which Marleau is not.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He's going to end up being:
Top 10 in GP (Possibly top 5)
Top 7 in GWG (Possibly top 4)
Top 30 in G
Top 75 in A
Top 50 in P
Top 10 in Playoff GWG (Possibly Top 5)
Top 25 in Playoff GP
Top 50 in Playoff Points
TWO Olympic Medals...

What more does a man have to do to be acknowledged for an incredible career?

And he debuted in the dead puck era.

Reactions: bobermay

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd like to hear your argument why its a bogus stat. Its a stat that shows that he's made significant contributions to his teams winning games. Those goals are a lot more important than EN goals, or blowout goals...

He does have Top 10s, don't know what you're talking about there... Longevity is just as important as points statistics IMHO. 1500 GP in the world's best hockey league is much more impressive than 500G scored, or a selke trophy, or a lady bing, or a Norris... But maybe thats just me that thinks that...

Except EN goals can be a game winner as can an early goal in what ended up being a blowout. Game winners are great when they're in OT, or late in a tie game, but they're often no more influential on a game than many other goals. You score the 4th goal in a 5-3 game when your team at the time was up 3-0, and went up 5-0 before coasting to the win, giving up the other 3 in garbage time, and it really don't that special. Perhaps these end up balancing put over time, but without combing through game scores, it's hard to take them as overly relevant at face value with no context.

Reactions: tgo0

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except EN goals can be a game winner as can an early goal in what ended up being a blowout. Game winners are great when they're in OT, or late in a tie game, but they're often no more influential on a game than many other goals. You score the 4th goal in a 5-3 game when your team at the time was up 3-0, and went up 5-0 before coasting to the win, giving up the other 3 in garbage time, and it really don't that special. Perhaps these end up balancing put over time, but without combing through game scores, it's hard to take them as overly relevant at face value with no context.

Scoring 500+ goals in this era is impressive unto itself but I'm biased of course. Anybody drafted from Marleau's class give or take a year or two on who pots 500 probably should go in the Hall.

Reactions: Phu

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
He is very similar to Steve Larmer but in a lower scoring era. Larmer was a 2 time all star and Marleau 3 times. But he has also now played almost 500 more games than Larmer. It really depends on how his longevity is rewarded. If he gets close to 600 goals he probably gets in.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He's probably getting in but he 100% shouldn't. I fully expect him to become the Housley-induction for forwards.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The more media discuss his campaign up the all-time GWG list, the better his chances become.

7th alltime right now, with a real chance to catch Selanne at 4th.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He's going to end up being:
Top 10 in GP (Possibly top 5)
Top 7 in GWG (Possibly top 4)
Top 30 in G
Top 75 in A
Top 50 in P
Top 10 in Playoff GWG (Possibly Top 5)
Top 25 in Playoff GP
Top 50 in Playoff Points
TWO Olympic Medals...

What more does a man have to do to be acknowledged for an incredible career?
0 top 10 finishes in points
0 top 10 finishes in assists
2 top 10 finishes in goals(4th and 6th)

For someone with so much production under their belt, they have almost nothing significant to show for it. Marleau has been consistent, but not elite. The best thing that ever happened to Marleau was Thornton, who is the main reason why we are having this discussion.

Marleau has 2 Olympic gold medals as a complimentary Canadian player.....need I say more?

Incredible career? Sure....I guess. Depends on how you define the term, but there should be more to getting in the Hall than 500 goals and 1000 points in a 20 year span. Marleau is a good player, but not one time in his career were we ever looking at a HOF player, or even an "elite" player.

Marleau doesn't have to be in the HOF. The fact that so many are ATTEMPTING to make a case for him, especially using GWGs....that alone should tell you.

Reactions: Eisen

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The NHL community always seems to agree he is a HOFer. Sports net and tsn panels say he is. No chance of a first ballot but I think he will get in eventually. He’s got the stats and voters love consistency.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
0 top 10 finishes in points
0 top 10 finishes in assists
2 top 10 finishes in goals(4th and 6th)

For someone with so much production under their belt, they have almost nothing significant to show for it. Marleau has been consistent, but not elite. The best thing that ever happened to Marleau was Thornton, who is the main reason why we are having this discussion.

Marleau has 2 Olympic gold medals as a complimentary Canadian player.....need I say more?

Incredible career? Sure....I guess. Depends on how you define the term, but there should be more to getting in the Hall than 500 goals and 1000 points in a 20 year span. Marleau is a good player, but not one time in his career were we ever looking at a HOF player, or even an "elite" player.

Marleau doesn't have to be in the HOF. The fact that so many are ATTEMPTING to make a case for him, especially using GWGs....that alone should tell you.

Are you suggestiong that top 10 finishes is significant? Really? Why top 10? What does it matter? Its not the elite offensive output that is most impressive about Marleau... its the consistency.

Also, Marleau is likely going to finish his career with close to 600G and around 1200P (Big difference that 500G and 1000P)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad