Proposal: Patrick Laine to Edmonton

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What could Edmonton do to make this work?

Caleb Jones would be the obviously easy toss in. Goodfaith trade to help negotiations with Seth.

Trade and sign RNH (They're far apart on contract talks).
Can run him as a 1b / 2 center that all coaches seem to love.

Would adding an additional picks make this work? Obviously hinges on RNH agreeing to sign.

Or would you be looking more at Dylan Holloway as a starting point (would need to ship salary out to make this work).

Last edited:

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
Laine is a broken asset that happens to be owed a $7.5m qualifying offered at the end of the season. This would be a horrible investment.

this!

Would what wait to see how contract talks turn out before thinking of bringing him in. And even then probably wouldn’t prioritize Laine for this team.

Reactions: TFHockey

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What could Edmonton do to make this work?

Caleb Jones would be the obviously easy toss in. Goodfaith trade to help negotiations with Seth.

Trade and sign RNH (They're far apart on contract talks, as Edmonton has no cap space).

Can run him as a 1b / 2 center that all coaches seem to love.

Would adding an additional 1st & 2nd make this work? Obviously hinges on RNH agreeing to sign.

Or would you be looking more at Dylan Holloway as a starting point (would need to ship salary out to make this work).

The last thing Edmonton needs is another high price forward . We need a goalie , a defensive 3C that is good for 30 points . A top 6 LW in the 5 million range or a winger like Hyman .

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They're far apart on contract talks, as Edmonton has no cap space
Where’s this coming from? That’s not what’s holding up a deal. Edmonton has tons of cap space next year when his new deal would kick in. They just don’t want to overpay a player having an extremely mediocre season in extremely favourable circumstances.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Given his 5-on-5 production, I'm not all that convinced RNH would be credible as a #1C at this point.

I'd frankly be tempted to ask for both RNH and Holloway, but that might just be me being spitefully greedy. ;)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Given his 5-on-5 production, I'm not all that convinced RNH would be credible as a #1C at this point.

I'd frankly be tempted to ask for both RNH and Holloway, but that might just be me being spitefully greedy. ;)

He isn't. RNH would be a stopgap 1C, not a full time 1C. If he were the Oilers would ask for more than Laine.

RNH and Holloway is an absurd ask. No chance that ever happens.

I think the Oilers should look to spending assets on a top 6 LW, a 3C and an upgrade in goal as a pervious poster pointed out.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Laine is a broken asset that happens to be owed a $7.5m qualifying offered at the end of the season. This would be a horrible investment.
I don't see the qualifying offer being that big of an issue. My guess there would be a contract getting done if this were to happen. I don't see Oilers needing to qualify Laine to then have a chance at matching any potential offersheet coming his way (Which no team going to do at that price)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He isn't. RNH would be a stopgap 1C, not a full time 1C. If he were the Oilers would ask for more than Laine.

RNH and Holloway is an absurd ask. No chance that ever happens.

I think the Oilers should look to spending assets on a top 6 LW, a 3C and an upgrade in goal as a pervious poster pointed out.
At the World Juniors, Laine played LW and JP played RW.

If we centered a deal of Holloway for Laine, we would also be sending them a dump to even things out.
But given that his draft stock shot up like a rocket this past year, most would be hesitant to do this unless it was clearly a win-win.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I would definitely try to make this happen if I was the Oilers GM, I feel like he would be a great fit for the Oilers. I would take Laine at 7 million over Hopkins for sure. I am a big fan of Hopkins, but you do not get opportunities to acquire elite goal scoring talents like this very often, assuming he would even be available. The Oilers definitely have other needs, but their top 6 is not good enough either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
The only way for this to happen is if Columbus foolishly accepts Kassian and Neal in return. There is no way Edmonton trades RNH for Laine. He'll be more expensive next year than resigning RNH and the Oilers won't have the cap space.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is everyone forgetting that Nuge is a pending UFA and has struggled this season.
No way he fetches us Laine without a good add.

It wouldn't be Holloway but it would surely be more than Caleb Jones

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
The one thing we need on Connors line is a 1-shot scoring threat. It's a waste to have Drai not carry his own line because we can't find McDavid another triggerman capable of potting 50.

Nuge is incredibly versatile, but if he's asking $7+ I'd waaay rather have a younger Laine.

those are very rare... ideally you need to find is a 15-20 goal guy on one side, and a 25-30 goal guy on the other. then have the 1-2 punch at center, but, technically you need 2 of each of the wingers for the 1st and 2nd lines.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

After the season he's had I would think Holloway is entirely off the table. He's going to be the type of cost-contained asset that helps build a championship team under the cap... our Drury to Sakic/Forsberg. We cannot afford to part with guys who we think may have a top-6 impact during their ELC. Especially not for a one-dimensional goal scorer who will be $$$$ paid.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Is everyone forgetting that Nuge is a pending UFA and has struggled this season.
No way he fetches us Laine without a good add.

It wouldn't be Holloway but it would surely be more than Caleb Jones

You should checkout Laine's numbers in C-bus before you think this isn't fair.
upload_2021-4-9_11-24-56-png.419663

If Nuge is hunting for $7million AAV, and Cbus agrees to that. It would be a trade-and-sign.
Nuge delivers a hair-short on what Duchene brought, but a more well-rounded game that Torts would probably love. He'd actually be a similar player to RyJo.

Jones is the sweetener, along with some draft picks.

those are very rare... ideally you need to find is a 15-20 goal guy on one side, and a 25-30 goal guy on the other. then have the 1-2 punch at center, but, technically you need 2 of each of the wingers for the 1st and 2nd lines.

The problem is, we're gonna be paying RNH to be a 1LW, when in reality, Laine would be a better fit here for that, and RNH would be a better fit in Columbus as a Center if he agrees to a trade-and-sign.

Going forward the money would be a wash.

No cap space for RNH...so the solution is to trade for Laine?

Quite the plan.

:confused:

RNH isn't a $7million winger. If he were a 1B Center or 2C sure, I guess he'd be worth that. But he isn't the 1-shot scoring winger McDavid needs.

This is why OilerNation is big on signing Hall this offseason (I'm not high on him at all).

If we spent $7.5 on a winger, I'd rather have Laine, than Nuge or Hall.
Cbus probably wants to recoup whatever value they lost on PLD and strengthen their middle a bit.

Domi / Nuge wouldn't be a terrible 1A 1B situation for them.
Nuge would be a tremendous upgrade on Texier.

The only way for this to happen is if Columbus foolishly accepts Kassian and Neal in return. There is no way Edmonton trades RNH for Laine. He'll be more expensive next year than resigning RNH and the Oilers won't have the cap space.

RNH rejected $6m AAV, which has me thinking he's hunting for the $7m range which is more or less what Laine's QO is going to be.

RNH is probably worth $7m as a complimentary 1C, but he's definitely not worth that in Edmonton when ideally McDrai should be run down the middle.

Laine > Hall. If I'm paying $7m AAV to one of them, I'd bet on Laine.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-9_11-24-56.png
    upload_2021-4-9_11-24-56.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Agree with this. If we assume that we have two of those four wingers now (RNH and Yamamoto) then we need two more guys, where one needs to be a 25-30 goal "driver" and the other can be a strong, difficult to play against "disrupter" 15-20 goal guy.

If we get both, it gives all sorts of options, including (i) reuniting RNH-Drai-Yama and giving McD both new guys, or ii) dropping Nuge back to 3C to mentor Pulju and/or Holloway into form.

I don't have a good candidate for "disrupter" yet, but let's say Hall wants forgiveness and is "driver", mid-way through next season the lineup could be:

Disrupter (15) McD(45) Kassian/Pulju (15)
Hall(25) Drai(45) Yama(20)
Holloway (15) RNH (20) Kassian/Pulju (15)
Shore Khaira Archibald (total of 20)
Ennis
Turris
McLeod
Marody
Benson

That's over 235 goals once you factor in a few here/there from the taxi group. If you get 10 each out of Nurse & Barrie and ten total from 2nd and 3rd pairing you are at 275 goals, which probably gets you top 5 for GF.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah if Edmonton can't afford RNH, Then how are they going to afford Laines $7,500,000 qualifying offer?
Exactly what the Oil need, more offence and a huge contract negotiation this summer.
Poor wording by the OP. The oilers have tons of cap this summer. It’s a non issue and has absolutely nothing to do the current contract negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad