Waived: Patrick Eaves

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
But that's not what you said. You said:

You wouldn't come out and say that X player or part of your team is missing something. You'd say that your looking for some extra speed throughout the lineup as you never want to throw anyone under the bus unless it's a motivation tactic. You definitely don't come out and say your team is too old.

You don't want to tip your hand & say X thing is bad or Y thing is bad as it'll lower the cost that other GMs are willing to pay for that product. Of course in some cases like Tootoo/Eaves teams may not want them at all so it won't matter what someone says about them, except to some players who may look at Detroit as a FA destination.

i believe saying the defence is too slow is the same as the saying we want more speed

i dont believe saying we want or need better puck movement is damaging

i dont think a coach saying we need more from guys means other gms know we must just have guys who are doing very little

i believe all GM's know who is on our roster and their skillset

are you suggessting that any GM or coach who has ever said anything critical about hsi team was from that moment forward unable to ever improve his team externally? That it hs somehow bounded him to that team and those players only? I would suggsst that if that were KH's strategy and compared them to the results the last 5 years regarding player movement then clearly its not worked.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
i believe saying the defence is too slow is the same as the saying we want more speed

i dont believe saying we want or need better puck movement is damaging

i dont think a coach saying we need more from guys means other gms know we must just have guys who are doing very little

i believe all GM's know who is on our roster and their skillset

are you suggessting that any GM or coach who has ever said anything critical about hsi team was from that moment forward unable to ever improve his team externally? That it hs somehow bounded him to that team and those players only? I would suggsst that if that were KH's strategy and compared them to the results the last 5 years regarding player movement then clearly its not worked.

I think it's being said that how things are worded can carry weight in how teams perceive your desire to make a deal. For example, I think saying your team is too slow is a lot different from saying you want to add some speed. The first is saying your team is noticeably deficient, it implies you need to make a deal. The second says you want to improve something, but not necessarily need to.

I don't understand the desire for the coach/GM to openly criticize the team/organization, though. As you said, all GMs know who is on the roster and at least a rough idea of the skill set. It has to be assumed that they think of these things even if they don't openly talk about them, and throwing a bunch of stuff into the media fray doesn't accomplish much.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think it's being said that how things are worded can carry weight in how teams perceive your desire to make a deal. For example, I think saying your team is too slow is a lot different from saying you want to add some speed. The first is saying your team is noticeably deficient, it implies you need to make a deal. The second says you want to improve something, but not necessarily need to.

I don't understand the desire for the coach/GM to openly criticize the team/organization, though. As you said, all GMs know who is on the roster and at least a rough idea of the skill set. It has to be assumed that they think of these things even if they don't openly talk about them, and throwing a bunch of stuff into the media fray doesn't accomplish much.

i 100% agree critizing individual players in the media is a bad idea i simply see nothing wrong with saying "we need to get better at moving the puck up in transition" or we "need some more size up front with speed" and suggesting moves might be coming.

i dont believe that puts a GM in a bad spot

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
i 100% agree critizing individual players in the media is a bad idea i simply see nothing wrong with saying "we need to get better at moving the puck up in transition" or we "need some more size up front with speed" and suggesting moves might be coming.

It depends on how it is worded. I just don't see a huge need for it, I guess, and I don't see the necessity for it unless you're fishing to make a deal and want to put your "wants" out there to see if anyone takes the bait. Right now, though, I think it's a combination of our wants seeming kind of obvious, and a general lack of ability to move because so many teams are capped out in one form or another - either the cap ceiling or an internal cap. Except for Florida who just appear willing to tank like it's 1984.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It depends on how it is worded. I just don't see a huge need for it, I guess, and I don't see the necessity for it unless you're fishing to make a deal and want to put your "wants" out there to see if anyone takes the bait. Right now, though, I think it's a combination of our wants seeming kind of obvious, and a general lack of ability to move because so many teams are capped out in one form or another - either the cap ceiling or an internal cap. Except for Florida who just appear willing to tank like it's 1984.

fair enough,

perhaps my remark was born out of frusturation of watching the same old ken holland mgmt style rerun for the last # of years with the same result=nothing, and wish he would be more active, more engaged and more willing to make a move/shakeup when its so clearly warranted

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I have a simple solution. Waived KQ if you can't trade him. Then wave Sammy or Cleary. Then we can bring up Quellet and Nyquist. Influx some youth, speed, passion, tenacity in our line up. We could roll the lines
Z D B ert
Nyquist Weiss or Franzen Alf
Tartar Helm Franzen or Weiss
Tootoo/Cleary Andy Miller

D
Kronwall Dekesyer
Big E Smith
Kindl Quellet

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
fair enough,

perhaps my remark was born out of frusturation of watching the same old ken holland mgmt style rerun for the last # of years with the same result=nothing, and wish he would be more active, more engaged and more willing to make a move/shakeup when its so clearly warranted

I wish something would happen, too. Any more, I watch to see what Z&D will do, and then just sort of wait for the next shift. I can live with boring if we're winning. It's when we're not winning and we're boring that I have problems. I got an ugly feeling we're just sort of screwed until summer, though. Hopefully we see the house cleaned a bit at that point.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Exactly. There's a right way to say what you're team is trying to do & a wrong way to do it.

There's nothing wrong with it but if any GM says those things an nothing happens he puts himself into a pickle if he doesn't make any moves. As we stand right now we really can't make any moves except move salary on & off the cap.

This year is really unprecedented in the NHL because so many teams are near the cap ceiling. In any normal year I'm 100% sure Eaves gets claimed but this year we aren't so lucky. There are 11 teams that are using LTIR to stay cap compliant & besides those teams there are 7 more teams that are just 1M below the cap ceiling.

If we couldn't give Eaves away for free I can't see any teams willing to take on Samuelsson or Quincey which means we won't have the cap space to do anything this year. Maybe by the TD we'll have enough daily cap savings to get Nyquist up here but I don't really understand the cap enough to be able to say how much we'd need to save for him to get up here.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I have a simple solution. Waived KQ if you can't trade him. Then wave Sammy or Cleary. Then we can bring up Quellet and Nyquist. Influx some youth, speed, passion, tenacity in our line up. We could roll the lines
Z D B ert
Nyquist Weiss or Franzen Alf
Tartar Helm Franzen or Weiss
Tootoo/Cleary Andy Miller

D
Kronwall Dekesyer
Big E Smith
Kindl Quellet

Not clearing enough cap for both players if we do both of those moves IIRC.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Love this guy. He was such an awesome part of the team for a while, I remember him scoring that hatty against Ottawa (I think it was them!) and he was definitely my favorite player for a couple of years. Now, I'm just hoping he can latch on somewhere. Detroit needs to move on from these bottom line guys who do absolutely nothing to help the team anymore. Eaves was good when he could fill in and score a few goals, play on the PP once in a while. He's just not at that level anymore because of injuries.

The hatty was against Dallas.

MissNHL

Oct 31, 2008
Hockeytown, Michigan
Eaves was never given a chance to get back to the level he was at before his injuries. Babcock sat him majority of the time. Sitting on the bench won't help any player get back to the level they were once at. Now that he is in GR, he should see ice time and get back to his level.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Eaves was never given a chance to get back to the level he was at before his injuries. Babcock sat him majority of the time. Sitting on the bench won't help any player get back to the level they were once at. Now that he is in GR, he should see ice time and get back to his level.

At a certain point, if a player can't stay healthy, it's time to cut him loose. Whether it's back luck, or playing a style that makes him injury prone, or just having a body made of glass, some guys just seem to be constantly injured. That does the team no good.

So yeah, he's a great guy when healthy, but he's so rarely that. I like the guy, but I'm not that sad over him being waived.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So we recently sent 3 players through waivers and zero out of 29 teams had any interest in any of them.

Is that depressing? It seems depressing.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
So we recently sent 3 players through waivers and zero out of 29 teams had any interest in any of them.

Is that depressing? It seems depressing.

I LOL'd

Kenny's the controlling ex-girlfriend.

"Sorry Cory/Jordin/Patrick, but we're not done until I say we're done. Now it's off to GR or the pressbox with you."

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Fourth line players are a dime a dozen. Which is why these 4th line players who are getting 2 million a season are not being picked up. Every team has a glut of players that are at Eaves and Tootoo's skill level.

Now, expose Anderson or Nyquist to waivers, and you will see a different result.

If the 4th liner has size, grit and/or upside it's different. Like a Dustin Jeffrey. But Emmerton, Eaves and Tootoo are small and have no such upside. Well, in Tootoo's case the cap hit is the bigger deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if Miller passed through waivers, too, if that ever happens.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If the 4th liner has size, grit and/or upside it's different. Like a Dustin Jeffrey. But Emmerton, Eaves and Tootoo are small and have no such upside. Well, in Tootoo's case the cap hit is the bigger deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if Miller passed through waivers, too, if that ever happens.

Miller
Sammy
Cleary
Quincey

Would all pass through waivers.. I am pretty confident.

Tatar
Nyquist
Andersson
Helm

would be claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad