Waived: Patrick Eaves

crashman

wow nice and class wings front office

Right?

I not trying to pile on the Holland hate because we all know there's plenty of it to go around here. But their "classiest franchise" reputation is a bunch of BS these days. They're basically putting guys in career purgatory with what they're doing here, just because of Holland's poor roster management.

Prospects like Nyquist, Tatar...now Eaves & Tootoo are in really ****** positions when their own performance has very little or nothing to do with it.

There has to be some tension in the locker room with these guys knowing that Sammy basically stuck a middle finger to Holland by saying he'll fight the buy-out, partly leading to this long-jam. And Cleary crawling back to Holland and Babcock to get his "hometown discount" contract.

This franchise needs to shape up. I wish one of these players would call them on it.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Right?

I not trying to pile on the Holland hate because we all know there's plenty of it to go around here. But their "classiest franchise" reputation is a bunch of BS these days. They're basically putting guys in career purgatory with what they're doing here, just because of Holland's poor roster management.

Prospects like Nyquist, Tatar...now Eaves & Tootoo are in really ****** positions when their own performance has very little or nothing to do with it.

There has to be some tension in the locker room with these guys knowing that Sammy basically stuck a middle finger to Holland by saying he'll fight the buy-out, partly leading to this long-jam. And Cleary crawling back to Holland and Babcock to get his "hometown discount" contract.

This franchise needs to shape up. I wish one of these players would call them on it.

Put them in career purgatory? If they were worthwhile, they would get claimed.

crashman

Put them in career purgatory? If they were worthwhile, they would get claimed.

How would anyone know they're worthwhile? They've hardly played.

Tootoo has played a decent amount recently but was given a bad contract. That's still on Holland.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
So Kenny would rather keep a guy making more money that doesn't play 4th line (Samuelsson) to be an option for the 4th line and waive another actual 4th liner?

Get rid of Samuelsson already...remind me again why Eaves got a multi-year deal in the first place?

Gotta think this bodes well for a guy like Glendening.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
To be fair, its entirely possible the team didnt have a chance to tell him before the press

They knew that as soon as Big Rig came off IR they had to move someone and Eaves was likely. It's very hard to believe they haven't discussed this with him. Maybe Patrick hadn't heard it was a done deal but I'm calling BS that he was completely off guard. Still lack of class

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
So Kenny would rather keep a guy making more money that doesn't play 4th line (Samuelsson) to be an option for the 4th line and waive another actual 4th liner?

Get rid of Samuelsson already...remind me again why Eaves got a multi-year deal in the first place?

Samuelsson is basically unmovable at this point unfortunately.

Holland has created a circus with the signings of Samuelsson and Cleary. There's no sugar coating it. Terrible, terrible decisions.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
How would anyone know they're worthwhile? They've hardly played.

Tootoo has played a decent amount recently but was given a bad contract. That's still on Holland.

Eh, no, unless Holland could sign him into a contract without requiring Tootoo's consent it's just as much on Tootoo himself. He's a big boy, he can take responsibility for his own choices - no one forced him to take that money.

Shoalzie said:

Waiving Sammy would be pointless. No one is going to pick him up and it would only save 100k on the cap. That's not enough, you'd still have to waive someone else to go with him.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Unlike with Tootoo, this news is not good news. I've always liked Eaves and he's just had a lot of bad luck.

I hope he lands a full-time job on another team, for his sake and the Red Wings.

Pretty much this is exactly how I feel. It is a shame Eaves has been plagued by so many injuries. I hope he gets picked up and finds a job.

crashman

Eh, no, unless Holland could sign him into a contract without requiring Tootoo's consent it's just as much on Tootoo himself. He's a big boy, he can take responsibility for his own choices - no one forced him to take that money.

Obviously. My point was that Holland signed him (and a few others) to bad contracts, now his only option to fix it is to demote & waive guys because of these contracts.

If Eaves clears waivers, his NHL career might be over.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Obviously. My point was that Holland signed him (and a few others) to bad contracts, now his only option to fix it is to demote & waive guys because of these contracts.

We are talking about a guy that has been bought out twice and after clearing waivers. Eaves career is pretty close to done because of his injury issues and the fact that outside of his rookie year he has struggled in the NHL.

I hope he does get claimed but I would be kind of surprised.

Miller and Eaves are decent at their role, and Eaves has more talent than Miller just for the record, but they are vastly overrated in terms of importance around these boards. They are not the kind of guys that should be getting three year deals from Holland.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

Sure, but you were saying that the reason he wasn't picked up when he was waived was because of his contract and that's on Holland. I'm saying Tootoo can't sign it and then blame Kenny for it.

I hope Eaves gets picked up and gets to play too. It's just an unfortunate thing that had to happen since the Fortunate Son isn't going anywhere.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Got injured too much but was a solid fourth liner when healthy.

Heres a good question though, why the hell is Holland giving out million dollar contracts to guys like Eaves and Miller who a lot of teams think are waiver fodder? Guys like that are a dime a dozen and especially with Miller shouldnt be given 3 year contracts. You gotta keep guys hungry in the bottom 6 to keep proving their worth.

The wings have a weird obsession for overpaying guys who dont really fill a role. Tootoo is a rarer player than a Miller or Eaves but its all a big part in how ****** the wings situation is right now. Holland is an idiot

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The wings have a weird obsession for overpaying guys who dont really fill a role. Tootoo is a rarer player than a Miller or Eaves but its all a big part in how ****** the wings situation is right now. Holland is an idiot

It's what I like to call the Dan Cleary Syndrome. They think every veteran North American 4th liner will turn into the next Dan Cleary. They won once with Cleary going from 4th liner that nobody wanted to legitimate role player so they got greedy and delusional.

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011

I think you're exactly right. Holland gives out crazy contracts to borderline NHL players. Carlo Colaiacovo just signed with St. Louis for 1 year 550,000. What did he sign in Detroit for? Something like 2 yrs for 5 million, I think. It's craziness.

It's almost as if Holland pays these guys because he wants them to play for the "great ole' " Red Wings. It's like this opportunity that only a select few are offered.

E.g. Cleary's heart was here. That is not real. Cleary's "heart" trumped making the team better. His "heart" trumped the team. Same with Sammy/Bert having played for the Red Wings before trumped making the future team better, so they extended their contracts or brought them back.

I am sick of the arrogance of this team and the management.

As for Eaves supposedly not being told that he was being waived. I don't care if it isn't a "classy" move. This team has always been far too concerned with classiness and loyalty, and they are not concerned with actually making the team better.

You stay loyal to Zetterberg & Datsyuk, Kronwall, etc. Not garbage.

They're afraid to make moves because they have to make sure Cleary, Sammy, Bert, Eaves, Chelios, are happy and okay with them first. It's lunacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad