Pat Kane Investigation talk [MOD: Post #129]

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Does anyone really expect to see him convicted, much less charged, though?

Perhaps I'm just jaded after Jameis last year.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Does anyone really expect to see him convicted, much less charged, though?

Perhaps I'm just jaded after Jameis last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see charges being filed. Kaner has a pretty poor reputation as it is, so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here. This is just another awful misstep in his life - even to have his name floating around in these accusations.

A lot of people thought he grew up, but to have his named linked to a very serious accusation is extremely troubling.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Honestly, I do think he gets charged. It isn't looking good for him

All depends on the evidence. It is clearly being thoroughly investigated. I would say that th decision to charge will be looked at more closely here based upon the likelihood of success in prosecution as Sedita does not want a black eye. If it is low hangning fruit, the charges are def coming. If it is a really difficult case, they may choose not to charge. It is the middle where he will struggle with how to proceed.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
All depends on the evidence. It is clearly being thoroughly investigated. I would say that th decision to charge will be looked at more closely here based upon the likelihood of success in prosecution as Sedita does not want a black eye. If it is low hangning fruit, the charges are def coming. If it is a really difficult case, they may choose not to charge. It is the middle where he will struggle with how to proceed.

Agreed. If he is charged, then it's over. In a case like this, American Idol in the hockey world, they will not charge until they are certain and are 110% justified.

Tic Toc..

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I think it's easier to get a guilty charge/monetary recompense or at least a settlement in a civil lawsuit, no?

Yes, I could be wrong but on a federal or non civil charge 12/12 jurors need to vote guilty for a sentencing. In civil I believe it is only a majority, and it may not be 12 jurors. Like 6 of 10 or something.

He could easily not be charged, go to civil case and lose, or settle out of court.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If there's nothing to announce, ie no charges will be filed, then why not issue a press release and move on? Pure speculation but why waste everyone's time to simply Officer Barbrady the situation?

*edit*
haha, well not quite no charges but all it did was confirm what we already knew that there was an incident under investigation

Last edited:

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I think it's easier to get a guilty charge/monetary recompense or at least a settlement in a civil lawsuit, no?

Also, the standard of proof is higher in a criminal case... "Beyond a reasonable doubt" (reasonable degree of certainty) , while a civil case is based upon a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not = 51% likely that it happened)

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If there's nothing to announce, ie no charges will be filed, then why not issue a press release and move on? Pure speculation but why waste everyone's time to simply Officer Barbrady the situation?

*edit*
haha, well not quite no charges but all it did was confirm what we already knew that there was an incident under investigation

The people who I was with, 1 I definitely trust her opinion, seamed to think that the release was supposed to contain more information but it was suppressed just before the conference was to start. I guess it's not to uncommon for lawyers to seek injunctions against the release of certain information as it could taint an eventual jury selection, with a high profile suspect and the closed door approach the HPD seams to be taking it wouldn't surprise me. Just speculation of course.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The victim gets absolutely nothing from a criminal conviction. She would have to sue Kane in a civil suit for that.

The fact that this is a criminal investigation and a civil suit hasnt been brought forth yet doesn't mean there wont be a civil court case or this isn't for money. A civil case usually happens after the criminal case has been resolved.

The fact that she went to the Hospital and had a rape kit done involved the authorities from the get go ..as I believe it is the law that Hospital Workers need to report a sexual assault.

I have no reason to believe this is a money grabbing ploy but it's certainly possible.

I think end of the day tho... Mr Kane will be in Prison. Gut feeling.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Hopefully this is just a case of a girl trying to get money out of a rich kid by making up/exaggerating a story and going after him. Knowing Kane I wouldn't at all be surprised if the story is legit, though.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hopefully this is just a case of a girl trying to get money out of a rich kid by making up/exaggerating a story and going after him. Knowing Kane I wouldn't at all be surprised if the story is legit, though.

This train of thought is the reason why so many sexual assault cases go unreported. When a woman gets a rape kit done we should believe her.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
This train of thought is the reason why so many sexual assault cases go unreported. When a woman gets a rape kit done we should believe her.

I haven't read all the reports and what not so far, so I don't know everything that's been done. My first response was just a high-level thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad