Pascal Vincent: Stay or Go?

Will the Jackets fire Pascal Vincent?

• Total voters

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Our culture … it needs to be improved, absolutely,” Davidson said. “We have to improve it. That’s just what it is, that’s just me being honest.

I think that this statement pretty much insures that Vincent is a goner.

More importantly, just how long has JD been the head honcho of this organization that needs its "culture" to be improved?

Every time I hear this guy get quoted, I just want to pull what remains of my hair out when I think of the completely inept ownership of this sorry franchise allowing this boob to have the primary role in picking a new GM.

He picked (or signed off) on Babcock, Larson and Vincent. As head of the organization, he sets the tone-the "culture" if you will-and now he says the "culture" needs to be improved. If he had a shred of integrity (which he doesn't) he'd take the first step in improving the culture by resigning.

What an absolute buffoon. Just go away.
I for one find it interesting that you are taking JD at his word when he says something you agree with and dismissing his input and competence when he says anything else.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I for one find it interesting that you are taking JD at his word when he says something you agree with and dismissing his input and competence when he says anything else.
We could make lots of pies with all the cherries picked around here.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'd have liked for JD to say what the current culture is or at least what's wrong with it. I have my own suspicions but I want to know if his views align with mine or not.

Right now it's just part of the story. I'd like to hear the whole thing. "We're here as a team culture... and our goal is to get here... and here's how we're going to do it."

He's talking about bringing in a GM who is going to implement a new team culture. But he's the President of Hockey Operations. If anything, team culture should be his primary focus. He sets the culture and expectations. The GM manages the roster to achieve that culture and meet expectations. The coach gets the roster to play in a way such that the culture and expectations are met.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd have liked for JD to say what the current culture is or at least what's wrong with it. I have my own suspicions but I want to know if his views align with mine or not.

Right now it's just part of the story. I'd like to hear the whole thing. "We're here as a team culture... and our goal is to get here... and here's how we're going to do it."
I mean he's not going to throw a bunch of people currently in the organization under the bus.

Plain and simple in the highest terms I think anybody can surmise there is not a winning attitude in the locker room. Status Quo has gotten stale and the players/front office seems to be filled with a bunch of people who aren't "do'ers". They aren't aggressive enough and just sit back and wait for success to come to them instead of going out and making it happen.

Comparing how this organization is run and how a team like Vegas or Tampa is run is night and day.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
So just be another generic analyst and people can complain about that too?
I don't mind Weekes but this post is meaningless and is about as generic as it can get. There's going to be a carousel of coach hires this summer - wow, you are saying the sky is blue?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think the culture is soft here , is what JD is saying . In the locker room , and on the ice . Jarmo wasn’t a good gm.. he could evaluate talent , but seemed to lack a coherent plan as to what he was trying to build . That seems to have fallen apart when Zito left

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

So playing this game, who could be the most coveted of them all? Cooper if the lightning lose?

Edit: Looking at coaches with expiring contracts, Brind’Amour is on that list..and he's gonna want to get paid properly...

Having said that there's probably a 0.00001% chance they let him walk.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think the culture is soft here , is what JD is saying . In the locker room , and on the ice . Jarmo wasn’t a good gm.. he could evaluate talent , but seemed to lack a coherent plan as to what he was trying to build . That seems to have fallen apart when Zito left
I’d say the PoHOp is pretty responsible for culture. He should start there.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So playing this game, who could be the most coveted of them all? Cooper if the lightning lose?

Edit: Looking at coaches with expiring contracts, Brind’Amour is on that list..and he's gonna want to get paid properly...

I don't get this whole song and dance around Brind'Amour. Just lock him up long term already because another team absolutely will if Carolina doesn't.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Cooper isn't going anywhere.

Carolina likes to be ultra cheap with coaches and execs (cheaper than CBJ) and there has been speculation before that Rod would go elsewhere, but he's always given up money to stay there. We'll see if that changes.

Sheldon Keefe could easily be out in Toronto within a week. But I'm not sure if he's a super appealing candidate.

If we're letting Vincent go, then for me it's only because we want a hardliner coming in - maybe like Evason or Berube.

Reactions: Indy18

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Cooper isn't going anywhere.

Carolina likes to be ultra cheap with coaches and execs (cheaper than CBJ) and there has been speculation before that Rod would go elsewhere, but he's always given up money to stay there. We'll see if that changes.

Sheldon Keefe could easily be out in Toronto within a week. But I'm not sure if he's a super appealing candidate.

If we're letting Vincent go, then for me it's only because we want a hardliner coming in - maybe like Evason or Berube.
McClellan is available .. some are speculating Pittsburgh fires Sullivan … I think based on why they brought in Babcock , and in Jds words a disruptor was used, and then they had to last minute settle for Vincent … I don’t see Vincent here next year . Hopefully for the first time , this franchise will pay top dollar for their front office hires , and same applies to the coach . Go out and get the best .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
McClellan is available .. some are speculating Pittsburgh fires Sullivan … I think based on why they brought in Babcock , and in Jds words a disruptor was used, and then they had to last minute settle for Vincent … I don’t see Vincent here next year . Hopefully for the first time , this franchise will pay top dollar for their front office hires , and same applies to the coach . Go out and get the best .

If they can do better than Vincent and get a top coach then I'm all in favor. But I would describe Vincent's style as disruptive. He was never afraid to bench anyone who wasn't playing well or wasn't playing the team game. He is not a player's coach. Yes, they had to settle for him but this is after having him as a finalist candidate multiple times, our FO (which is changing) liked him.

Reactions: VT and KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If they can do better than Vincent and get a top coach then I'm all in favor. But I would describe Vincent's style as disruptive. He was never afraid to bench anyone who wasn't playing well or wasn't playing the team game. He is not a player's coach. Yes, they had to settle for him but this is after having him as a finalist candidate multiple times, our FO (which is changing) liked him.
Honestly don’t think of him as a disruptor … kept the same staff .. relied on Boone Jenner 20 plus every night .. marching him out on the top power play that managed to be worse than under Larsen .. which is really saying something . Finished 3rd worst in the league defensively … and we already talked about Portys comment about other veterans not having that voice in the locker room at the coaches directive . Nothing that Vincent did should give him a look for next year in my opinion . If getting guys to play hard till the end of the season is his one achievement , that’s a low bar that I’m guessing Davidson is wanting to raise

I do agree with you he would hold players accountable , but in hindsight , that sure seemed to mainly apply to the young guys . I would watch Gaudreau just be brutal in games … Really it comes back to your first sentence , if they can do better then your in favor .. it’s time for this org to pay the money needed to have a great front office , great head coach .. don’t go out and sign guys like Laine , JG only to pair that with a rookie head coach , and a horrible staff of assistants

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly don’t think of him as a disruptor … kept the same staff .. relied on Boone Jenner 20 plus every night .. marching him out on the top power play that managed to be worse than under Larsen .. which is really saying something . Finished 3rd worst in the league defensively … and we already talked about Portys comment about other veterans not having that voice in the locker room at the coaches directive . Nothing that Vincent did should give him a look for next year in my opinion . If getting guys to play hard till the end of the season is his one achievement , that’s a low bar that I’m guessing Davidson is wanting to raise

I do agree with you he would hold players accountable , but in hindsight , that sure seemed to mainly apply to the young guys . I would watch Gaudreau just be brutal in games … Really it comes back to your first sentence , if they can do better then your in favor .. it’s time for this org to pay the money needed to have a great front office , great head coach .. don’t go out and sign guys like Laine , JG only to pair that with a rookie head coach , and a horrible staff of assistants

If Vincent is the reason the players are not holding each other accountable, then yes I'd agree he needs to change that or go. But as I was saying, I think we have a longstanding policy of going easy on immature players that we've had in place for a few years now.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There are rumors (aka trying to decipher a Kevin weekes tweet) that Sullivan is out in Pittsburgh. Not sure if he’s of any interest here but just putting it out there

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
There are rumors (aka trying to decipher a Kevin weekes tweet) that Sullivan is out in Pittsburgh. Not sure if he’s of any interest here but just putting it out there
He's a coach for a win-now team, not one trying to develop youth. Also lol on them, since his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad