Pascal Vincent: Stay or Go?

Will the Jackets fire Pascal Vincent?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Head coaching continuity is overrated. First year head coaches have been leading many deep playoff runs recently.

I can think of many clubs that saw a big boost moving from a stale coach to a fresh coach. But clubs that change coaches every year or two don't get that same benefit.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Arace pulls quotes with Vincent talking about culture. In an interview with Porty, JD talked about the need to change the culture. Are Vincent and JD steering in the same direction on what that culture should be? Or is JD suggesting a different culture than being advocated by Vincent (or maybe feeling PV hasn’t yet established one?)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Porty in his podcast yesterday , in spirit of his disruptor article , said he doesn’t think Pascal is back next year . Ofcourse depends on new gm .. Also question about Boones leadership led to him saying that Werenski, Gudbranson , Kuraly need to be able to speak up without getting in trouble … that was interesting .. He feels room needs more leaders and leadership

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Porty in his podcast yesterday , in spirit of his disruptor article , said he doesn’t think Pascal is back next year . Ofcourse depends on new gm .. Also question about Boones leadership led to him saying that Werenski, Gudbranson , Kuraly need to be able to speak up without getting in trouble … that was interesting .. He feels room needs more leaders and leadership
Makes sense to me.

One of Jarmo’s biggest blunders (IMO) was moving out Gavrikov for (essentially) Provorov. Not that Provorov isn’t a good player, but Gavrikov was a leader and more the style of player we need. Big mistake, and especially how the divorce happened too will never sit right with me.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Makes sense to me.

One of Jarmo’s biggest blunders (IMO) was moving out Gavrikov for (essentially) Provorov. Not that Provorov isn’t a good player, but Gavrikov was a leader and more the style of player we need. Big mistake, and especially how the divorce happened too will never sit right with me.
I think what he was alluding to is that these players should be able to have a voice without getting in trouble, and I thought that point was interesting . Was that a Jarmo or Pascal directive ?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Our culture … it needs to be improved, absolutely,” Davidson said. “We have to improve it. That’s just what it is, that’s just me being honest.

I think that this statement pretty much insures that Vincent is a goner.

More importantly, just how long has JD been the head honcho of this organization that needs its "culture" to be improved?

Every time I hear this guy get quoted, I just want to pull what remains of my hair out when I think of the completely inept ownership of this sorry franchise allowing this boob to have the primary role in picking a new GM.

He picked (or signed off) on Babcock, Larson and Vincent. As head of the organization, he sets the tone-the "culture" if you will-and now he says the "culture" needs to be improved. If he had a shred of integrity (which he doesn't) he'd take the first step in improving the culture by resigning.

What an absolute buffoon. Just go away.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Arace pulls quotes with Vincent talking about culture. In an interview with Porty, JD talked about the need to change the culture. Are Vincent and JD steering in the same direction on what that culture should be? Or is JD suggesting a different culture than being advocated by Vincent (or maybe feeling PV hasn’t yet established one?)
“Media” and “journalism” is essentially pointless at this point. You really never get the information you deserve, that should be easily available. These guys are literally just passing off their opinions as facts and through quotes lacking structure while at the same time structuring the questions in a way to get the answers they want.

It’s like they have to follow a certain code and rarely have any follow up questions to actually DIG into WHAT they are actually saying. WHAT about the “culture” is the problem??

WHAT did Larsen and Laine get into it on the bench about?? What about Larsen and Merzlikins?? Where does the concept of “culture” fit into this??

ZERO FOLLOW UP ON THE BABCOCK SAGA

Anybody care about those Gudbranson comments yet, or still think it was about Larsen running practices?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Our culture … it needs to be improved, absolutely,” Davidson said. “We have to improve it. That’s just what it is, that’s just me being honest.

I think that this statement pretty much insures that Vincent is a goner.

More importantly, just how long has JD been the head honcho of this organization that needs its "culture" to be improved?

Every time I hear this guy get quoted, I just want to pull what remains of my hair out when I think of the completely inept ownership of this sorry franchise allowing this boob to have the primary role in picking a new GM.

He picked (or signed off) on Babcock, Larson and Vincent. As head of the organization, he sets the tone-the "culture" if you will-and now he says the "culture" needs to be improved. If he had a shred of integrity (which he doesn't) he'd take the first step in improving the culture by resigning.

What an absolute buffoon. Just go away.

What good does changing the coach do to impact the “culture”, when you have players that have failed to respond favorably to 4 different head coaches in 4 years?

I would absolutely LOVE to know what “culture” they are trying to build. My other question is WHY did they change the culture that WAS HERE 5 years ago??

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Makes sense to me.

I think that Gavrikov becoming a UFA after the season scared Jarmo into making a move. They weren't exactly fighting for a playoff spot like the Bread and Bob year, so there was really no incentive to roll the dice and potentially lose him for nothing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think that Gavrikov becoming a UFA after the season scared Jarmo into making a move. They weren't exactly fighting for a playoff spot like the Bread and Bob year, so there was really no incentive to roll the dice and potentially lose him for nothing.
And Gavrikov did say or at least imply that he was going to go to the market and see.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Good post but this question isn’t quite on the mark. The question is why did the culture five years ago all ask out?

I was thinking about this as well.

The goalie isn’t usually part of the culture and they only play about 2/3 of the games.

Panarin was only here 2 years. Certainly he fit with the culture (poor kid who had to work for everything he had), but he didn’t create the culture.

Similarly, PLD didn’t create the culture.

Jones was the only one who had been here awhile and asked out. And that was after others left.

Werenski, Foligno, Cam, Bjorkstrand, etc. were part of that culture and didn’t ask out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
From what I remember, Gavrikov and the CBJ had extension talks that summer we got Gaudreau (and got close) but jarmo balked at the term. And it pissed him off, so he decided to cut off talks. Then the team was terrible and the whole trade drama happened.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This is the question!

Good post but this question isn’t quite on the mark. The question is why did the culture five years ago all ask out?

2023/24 Offseason Motto

Seems this is how the CBJ are being run behind the scenes at this point. Will we get answers?? Or how about CHANGES that actually HELP?? I’m sick of just “moving forward”/walking across the bridge, as we have year after year in recent memory.

I’d literally believe the “veiled”/purposeful tank theory, if guys like Jarmo and Larsen weren’t actually fired. The absolute INCOMPETENCE from the roster decisions of the past 4-5 years are borderline literally unbelievable IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What good does changing the coach do to impact the “culture”, when you have players that have failed to respond favorably to 4 different head coaches in 4 years?

I would absolutely LOVE to know what “culture” they are trying to build. My other question is WHY did they change the culture that WAS HERE 5 years ago??
I just don't see Vincent as an effective NHL coach.

Yeah, the merry-go-round of coaches is pretty ridiculous. The problems in this organization are much deeper than who is filling out the line up card and choosing what systems the team plays on the ice.

If none of Larsen, Babcock or Vincent ever gets hired again as an NHL head coach, then it probably can be inferred that they should have been let go by the CBJ, but once again I agree that they aren't the root cause of the problems in the organization.

Good point on the lack of follow up on the several things that you cited.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Good point on the lack of follow up on the several things that you cited.

We literally have a list of about 5 (or so) different/extremely UNIQUE situations involving the team/organization over the past handful of years, that while having a HUGE impact on the “health” and/or trajectory of the team, we have essentially gotten ZERO information about what actually transpired or WHAT decisions were made and/or most importantly, WHY.

I really don’t understand (other than the PTSD) why people get so bent out of shape talking about Jones/Tortorella etc. “moving on” or “asking out”, or now any talk regarding Babcock and that whole thing.

Sure, it’s in “the past”, but ALL these situations are INHERENTLY connected and 100% impact the current day or future CBJ team.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It really is time for a long article (or book) about the last several years - maybe starting with the Dubinsky / Vegas weird never-explained Portzline insinuation and spilling the details on the PLD departure and covering the whole Babcock mess with lots of other stories in that timeframe.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
If a new GM is forced to accept the current coach then I'd say we'll see the status quo next year and all the "Culture Change" talk is mumbo-jumbo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad