CFHF Fantasy League Part XXXV - Trade Deadline March 1st 11:59pm MT

Who is the 2023-24 GM of the Year?

• Anglesmith (Intangibles)

• InfinityIggy (The Terrors)

• DatsyukToZetterberg (Tusken City Raiders)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just like that we are down to one week remaining in the regular season! Some outstanding races going on at the top and bottom of the playoff picture. And probably the middle, too.

With the final week upon us, it is time for voting for the H. Jay Feaster Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of General Management.

Please contact myself with your list of 5 GMs that you think would be most deserving this year. From there, I will post the finalists in a poll.

Some other notes:

• for the draft lottery, I am targetting Monday, March 18 (probably)
  • the keeper deadline will be on April 10

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Two other things for next year:

- the trade deadline felt too late this year. It has been proposed that we stop setting the trade deadline based on the NHL TDL and instead fix it on Sunday of Wee 18. Barring any kind of opposition, this change will be effected for next year.
- we are seeking solutions to the position eligibility inconsistency. As in, we're trying to find a good resource that can help create a protocol for adding positions to players who should have them. Suggestions welcome.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Completely overlooked Week 20 Power Rankings:

1​
The TerrorsE
2​
Intangibles+1
3​
Tusken City Raiders-1
4​
Hamilton Slackberry+1
5​
GoodFellas+2
6​
Wheeling DustersE
7​
Hypnotoad's Legion+3
8​
Black Knights-4
9​
Flaming Wings-1
10​
Flaming HorseHeads-1
11​
Peppering AngusE
12​
Da Rink CatsE
13​
Suicide Squad+2
14​
TheMightyPigs+2
15​
Gunslingers-2
16​
Beer Chuggers-2
17​
Techno OnionE
18​
Peaky BlindersE
19​
Pingu HCE
20​
Swimming ManateesE

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Two other things for next year:

- the trade deadline felt too late this year. It has been proposed that we stop setting the trade deadline based on the NHL TDL and instead fix it on Sunday of Wee 18. Barring any kind of opposition, this change will be effected for next year.
- we are seeking solutions to the position eligibility inconsistency. As in, we're trying to find a good resource that can help create a protocol for adding positions to players who should have them. Suggestions welcome.
I agree that the TDL seemed a little later than usual this year.

Does Yahoo allow you to change player positions? I just assumed what they give you is what you get.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree that the TDL seemed a little later than usual this year.

Does Yahoo allow you to change player positions? I just assumed what they give you is what you get.
This year they gave commissioners the opportunity to add positions to any player (not remove positions though).

I decided early on not to make use of that because I couldn't figure out a fair system.

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
This year they gave commissioners the opportunity to add positions to any player (not remove positions though).

I decided early on not to make use of that because I couldn't figure out a fair system.

My player spreadsheet lists the positions a player is given for that year so that's always a potential reference. It would be pretty easy to do a delta against two years to see who Yahoo has given different position(s). I always found it annoying when I'd draft a player who plays two positions but is only given one the following year.

Elite Prospects lists the different position a player plays, but access to that API requires a subscription. The NHL database doesn't track multiple positions, unfortunately.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
My player spreadsheet lists the positions a player is given for that year so that's always a potential reference. It would be pretty easy to do a delta against two years to see who Yahoo has given different position(s). I always found it annoying when I'd draft a player who plays two positions but is only given one the following year.

Elite Prospects lists the different position a player plays, but access to that API requires a subscription. The NHL database doesn't track multiple positions, unfortunately.
I think one of the tricky things is that a lot of the time position removal by Yahoo is justified. Like, if Mason McTavish gets his winger status removed next year because he's now a full time centre, it hurts me but it's justified.

Yahoo is clearly trying to restrict winger assignments to balance value, and I think the result of that is positive. But then there are always going to be a few omissions which drive us nuts. I just think ultimately it's part of the game. GMs have to know not to trust what Yahoo did last year, but to keep an eye on their actual real life deployment.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Even without a subscription, we could just manually update players at GMs request if a source like EP confirms those positions.

I think the main thing we need to find is some "authoritative" source (EP is a good suggestion) so we can at least have a defined requirement for manually adding extra positions.

This will make it pretty clear cut, black and white and remove any subjectivity from the "ruling" on requests.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Amazing finish to the season! Well done to all the GMs who just barely missed, that was a heck of a race. To the victors the spoils:

Attachments

• GoldenRamp.png
    GoldenRamp.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Loob.png
    Loob.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 2
  • MacInnis.png
    MacInnis.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 2
  • McDonald.png
    McDonald.png