Parise Signed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
He is certainly overhyped for a number of reasons.

However, overrated I'm not sure. I like him a lot. He's rated across the board so maybe it can be said he is overrated by some.
Yeah, I think I should have stated overhyped.

Randall Graves*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Hobey Baker hype, WJC hype, Pierre McGuire hype, Under 18 hype, prep school hype....meh
Getting Hobey Baker hype seems to translate into moderate NHL success these days.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think the comparesson to Recchi is good. always playing hard not always scoring. Parise may put up anywhere from 30-70 points a year, and no one could tell by any one game what kind or scoring year he had. the thing he has to work and realize that he cant go through and around all NHL d men, he rushed the net hard in college and got a lot of rebound and loose puck goals. He will pay in the NHL for creeping, scrumming with alaska anchorage will be much different then scrumming with Philadelpha. As far as being ready i think all he has do is play with better talent learn and adjust he should be fine, how many points is another story.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
I think the comparesson to Recchi is good. always playing hard not always scoring. Parise may put up anywhere from 30-70 points a year, and no one could tell by any one game what kind or scoring year he had. the thing he has to work and realize that he cant go through and around all NHL d men, he rushed the net hard in college and got a lot of rebound and loose puck goals. He will pay in the NHL for creeping, scrumming with alaska anchorage will be much different then scrumming with Philadelpha. As far as being ready i think all he has do is play with better talent learn and adjust he should be fine, how many points is another story.

Too me Parise is at least a poor man's Chris Drury and he definitely has the innate talent to be better than Drury. At the low end I see him as a 35 - 45 point, 10 - 15 goal 3rd liner who is defensively reliable. At the high end he could be an 75 - 85 point, 30-35 goal 1st liner, who is responsible in his own zone as well. A safer bet is 65 points, 25 goals a year at his prime as a second line center. That's a nice grab at 17 overall in the draft. I think Lou see's him as reaching the higher end of the spectrum, and he just might be right.

meehan

Mar 20, 2003
new york
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
A safer bet is 65 points, 25 goals a year at his prime as a second line center.

Is 65 points really a second line center in the league? I mean 20 of the 30 NHL teams DON'T have a center with 65 points.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
In New Jersey's stifling system, with their non-offensive players, Parise will be hard-pressed to get 65 points a year. HE is certainly capable of it, but his soon-to-be teammates are not. If he gets any powerplay time, his numbers should get up near the 50-55 mark. If he was on a better offensive team, he would be a near lock to get around 65 points a year. And considering today's NHL, that would put him in the top 20 or so!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
jiggs 10 said:
In New Jersey's stifling system, with their non-offensive players, Parise will be hard-pressed to get 65 points a year. HE is certainly capable of it, but his soon-to-be teammates are not. If he gets any powerplay time, his numbers should get up near the 50-55 mark. If he was on a better offensive team, he would be a near lock to get around 65 points a year. And considering today's NHL, that would put him in the top 20 or so!
I dunno I think he has every bit as much offensive potential as Gomez....he isn't as fast but I think he is a better scorer.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I dunno I think he has every bit as much offensive potential as Gomez....he isn't as fast but I think he is a better scorer.

Oh, I agree. That was kinda my point. New Jersey doesn't have many proven scorers to work with. I don't even really consider Gomez to be all that great. He COULD be, but hasn't been that past 2 seasons. I think Parise could outscore him, IF he had some help. Either way, because of his work ethic, I think he'll be easily a 2nd line center for the Devils next season (whether that season is next YEAR or 2 years from now is the question!).

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
meehan said:
Is 65 points really a second line center in the league? I mean 20 of the 30 NHL teams DON'T have a center with 65 points.

I don't believe Chris Drury is really a 1st line center, I think of him as a great second line player, therefore I don't think a 65 point season is really first line caliber. You make a good case that with diluted talent the standards of what good production is for first liners is has diminished, but in my mind a player putting up 65 points as the first line center is not contributing enough. Obviously there can be extenuating circumstances (poor team, defensive team, off year, injuries etc.)

Just checking the stats on ESPN.com and in 2003 15 centers had 65 points or more. a few teams had a couple a piece. Not every team may have a legitimate first line center, but I still think even in today's defensive NHL a good first line center should get more than 65 points, while a great second line player should get between 55 and 65 points. It's tough to put definitive numbers down like that and say "well this guy is a first line center, and this guy is not".

Last edited:

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
I don't even really consider Gomez to be all that great. He COULD be, but hasn't been that past 2 seasons.

Gomez has the most point in the NHL since the allstar break actually

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
39 points in his last 25 games.....

I would like to get Parise playing with Suglobov, see if those two can click. If there is no NHL next year Albany will have a powerhouse IMO.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
39 points in his last 25 games.....

I would like to get Parise playing with Suglobov, see if those two can click. If there is no NHL next year Albany will have a powerhouse IMO.

Have New Jersey and Albany renewed their affiliation agreement? It was to expire after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad