Parise Signed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
Do the Devils expect he'll contribute this postseason?

I ask because I find it a little odd teams would be signing college kids now. I figure the rookie caps (and associated bonuses) will be reduced under the next CBA. Why pay him now when you can get him for less later?

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
Blatny Spears said:

I ask because I find it a little odd teams would be signing college kids now. I figure the rookie caps (and associated bonuses) will be reduced under the next CBA. Why pay him now when you can get him for less later?

Hopefully to get Jeff "I only hit goalies square in the chest" Friesen going!!
:joker: :rolly:

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Blatny Spears said:

maybe it's unlikely that a new CBA would reduce signing costs for drafts retroactively; it didn't last time AFAIK?

Anyone remember the specifics from 94?

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
I don't see why they couldn't reduce the caps retroactively. Prospects like Parise have signed no contract with the NHLPA or with a team, so the league shouldn't be beholden to the entry-level guidelines from the old agreement. I don't remember what happened in '94, though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wow, exciting news to say the least. Although I really can't see Parise jumping into the playoff roster. Maybe more like St. Louis signing Peter Sejna last year, where he got to play in one regular season game, then watched the playoffs from the press box?

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
yah tough to say Sejna was a few years older thou...and Parise's upside is considerably higher...I don't know what to make of this one

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
This is a big surprise to me... although I guess it shouldn't be. Parise is a world class talent for his age group and I think he'll do well. I was just hoping we'd get to see him dominate college for another couple years.

It's not official but it is on the front of USCHO.com

http://www.uscho.com/

Last edited:

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
AJ1982 said:
This is a big surprise to me... although I guess it shouldn't be. Parise is a world class talent for his age group and I think he'll do well. I was just hoping we'd get to see him dominate college for another couple years.

It's not official but it is on the front of USCHO.com

http://www.uscho.com/

Hard to stay away from all that money

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Harry said:
Hard to stay away from all that money

I don't think money is an issue. Parise comes from an affluent family. IMO, the real issue is the Devils' brass feels that he is ready to turn pro and take the next step in his development. He'll probably get in a few games this year with the big club, and than the team will assign him a trainer and such to prepare him for the rigors of pro hockey. Given the Devils' success with developing prospects, especially college players, I think he is great hands.

Last edited:

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I find it very odd this would happen now, with the impending end of the NHL (the CBA talks/lockout) still on. Why sign now? He could always leave next fall, if/when the CBA gets settled. He wouldn't miss more than a few days of training camp. I don't know if I'd leave a successful program to play a few games now, then sit out all of next year. Or play in Albany, which is worse than playing in college. I guess the lure of the almighty buck gets to even kids like this. It's too bad, it would have been nice to see Zach finish what he started at UND: getting them back to the top of NCAA hockey. A NCAA championship would look good on his resume first, to go with the WJC gold. But it's his decision to make, so...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Parise is overrated. Yet another product of the WJC hype machine.

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
Well the money is an issue. if he signs 3 years we're talking over 3 mill. Thats a load of loot. If he goes back to college and breaks his neck then adios to the money. To think that money is not an issue with these players is totally wrong. Maybe dad does have money but I am sure Zach doesn't want to sponge of the family. Thats not the type of people they are. Money is the bottom line baby.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
He is certainly overhyped for a number of reasons.

However, overrated I'm not sure. I like him a lot. He's rated across the board so maybe it can be said he is overrated by some.

The fact he's been signed so late in the season makes me think the Devils are absolutely sold on what they have seen and think he is very close to being ready. Otherwise, there was really nothing to gain by such a late signing.

This is doubly true because of the upcoming CBA. This is not the greatest time to sign guys. It could become cheaper soon.

All of this leads me to think Parise is everything I expect him to be and perhaps more.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Parise reminds me quite a bit of Recchi. We'll see how he develops at the next level, but that is my preliminary comparison of him.

Great move by the Devils organization, if you ask me. It's a show of good faith in his ability that they signed him when it could possibly come cheaper after the impending CBA. Hopefully they're trying to build a repoire with Parise for any future negotiations.

leafaholix*

Vlad The Impaler said:
He is certainly overhyped for a number of reasons.

However, overrated I'm not sure. I like him a lot. He's rated across the board so maybe it can be said he is overrated by some.

The fact he's been signed so late in the season makes me think the Devils are absolutely sold on what they have seen and think he is very close to being ready. Otherwise, there was really nothing to gain by such a late signing.

This is doubly true because of the upcoming CBA. This is not the greatest time to sign guys. It could become cheaper soon.

All of this leads me to think Parise is everything I expect him to be and perhaps more.
Overhyping a player means they aren't as good as he's made out to be.

I'm pretty sure that's what "overrated" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad