Parayko Contract

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
His current contract goes through next year and he obviously has RFA status upon expiration.

I wonder if DA will actually work on an extension this summer...would the Blues benefit from addressing it a year early?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Lock him up ASAP long term. Klingberg the **** out of him.

I was thinking/hoping the same....lol. I think if you polled the Blues fan base, this kid is quickly rising to the near the top of "favorite Blues player."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I highly doubt that Armstrong does a deal this summer. I'd like to know what it would cost to sign him for the full 8 years this summer.

Who knows what Armstrong will do next summer. He skipped the bridge contract with Pietrangelo and Tarasenko, and Hitchcock has already spoken about expecting Parayko to be a 30 minute a night defensemen within a couple of years. I imagine we'll skip the bridge deal with him as well.

It's an easier situation than the Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk situation 3 years ago, but Armstrong made a mess of that. He can't do the same here.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I wonder: would it be cheaper in AAV to do it this year than next? Signing this summer obviously entails a little more risk for the Blues b/c more guesswork re his potential with the flipside that, if he improves significantly next year, his aav probably goes up a bit...maybe a lot.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'd sign him to 8 years right now if he'd take it. I don't want that kid to go anywhere. Even if he doesn't improve at all he's a high quality second pairing Dman. With Petro locked up long term, that's all we'll really need him to be. If he continues to improve, he could become one of the better Dmen in the entire league. He has all the tools.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I wonder: would it be cheaper in AAV to do it this year than next? Signing this summer obviously entails a little more risk for the Blues b/c more guesswork re his potential with the flipside that, if he improves significantly next year, his aav probably goes up a bit...maybe a lot.

Yes, particularly if we move Shattenkirk and give Parayko more responsibility next season.

Then again, the player/agent might prefer to wait and try and get a bigger contract. I'd still imagine it would be difficult to walk away if the Blues put 8 years, $30m on the table...

Again though, Armstrong has never doe anything like this before. We should have been much more aggressive than we were in trying to sign Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk, instead we were passive and waiting for them to prove as much as possible. Expect the same.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Yes, particularly if we move Shattenkirk and give Parayko more responsibility next season.

Then again, the player/agent might prefer to wait and try and get a bigger contract. I'd still imagine it would be difficult to walk away if the Blues put 8 years, $30m on the table...

Again though, Armstrong has never doe anything like this before. We should have been much more aggressive than we were in trying to sign Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk, instead we were passive and waiting for them to prove as much as possible. Expect the same.

Thanks...here's hoping DA breaks form and offers something along the lines of what you suggest...I think he's special and worth the risk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Could be a case of lesson learned. I'd really like to see him locked up long term.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Could be a case of lesson learned. I'd really like to see him locked up long term.

I'd hope that Armstrong has become more aggressive when it comes to our young players, but there isn't anything to suggest things have changed. Schwartz has been given a bridge and we waited until Tarasenko completed his ELC before his long-term deal.

Armstrong talks about recognising players abilities, like when he talked up Schwartz and the Olympics, but is consistently cautious to commit.

Nill was quick to commit to Klingberg, giving him his 7 year deal after 65 NHL games. For the many, many failings of the Oilers management, they were quick to recognise what Hall and RNH were worth and got them locked up a year before their ELC's expired. Something we should have done, at a similar price, with Tarasenko.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd hope that Armstrong has become more aggressive when it comes to our young players, but there isn't anything to suggest things have changed. Schwartz has been given a bridge and we waited until Tarasenko completed his ELC before his long-term deal.

Armstrong talks about recognising players abilities, like when he talked up Schwartz and the Olympics, but is consistently cautious to commit.

Nill was quick to commit to Klingberg, giving him his 7 year deal after 65 NHL games. For the many, many failings of the Oilers management, they were quick to recognise what Hall and RNH were worth and got them locked up a year before their ELC's expired. Something we should have done, at a similar price, with Tarasenko.

It's unfortunate but an understandable position to take. You'd hate to take he route of Toronto(not an apples comparison)

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I'm thinking it's unlikely he does a deal this some for Parayko, but if he does, I could see 4.5Mx8 ala Klingberg as the standard.

However, if he waits until next year (if we keep Shatty) it will be difficult. The threat of an offersheet from EDM, I think, would be extremely likely.

I would prefer to get a deal done now, and get him to 4.5Mx8 - perhaps cheaper, but Armstrong hamstrung us a little bit with signing Gunnarsson. If we are looking to sign Parayko now, then we need to be actively shopping Shattenkirk (assuming we're keeping Gunnar). At this point, I'd probably rather wait on Parayko and just give him Shattenkirk money when the time is right.

If we're upping Parayko now, I think I'd run this:

Steen (5.8M) XXX Tarasenko (7.5M) = 13.3M
Schwartz (6.5M) Stastny (7M) Fabbri (.9M) = 14.4M
Sobotka (2.75M) Lehtera (4.7M) Jaskin (.9M) = 8.35M
Ott (1M) Brodziak (1M) Reaves/Upshall (1.125M) = 3.125M

39.175M on Forwards

Bouwmeester (5.4M) Pietrangelo (6.5M) = 11.9M
Shattenkirk (4.25M) Parayko (4M) = 8.25M
Edmundson (1M) Schmaltz (.9) = 1.9M

22.05M on Defense

Allen (2.35M)
Elliott (2.5M)

4.85M on Goalies

66.075M Total
7.425M remaining (assuming cap is 73.5M).

Still, I'd rather save the space now and utilize both Shattenkirk's remaining year and our really good ELC players for a cup run. The difference between a Parayko contract this summer and next summer shouldn't be a huge difference, and by then we'll know about the expansion draft (Bouwmeester/Gunnarsson), Elliott, Berglund, and Shattenkirk.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He will be 24 when his current contact expires, so he will only have 3 more RFA season after next season. I can see them giving him a 2-year bridge deal along the lines of what Schwartz got if they are still unsure of his development arc, but more than likely he will be locked up sometime in early 2017 for 6-8 years. He would be 30 when a 6-year extension would expire, which would give him one more big pay day under the terms of current CBA.

My guess is that they like enough of what they see and give him something along the lines of 6 years (3 RFA, 3 UFA) and $27M or $4.5M AAV. That's basically $3M per year for the RFA seasons and $6M per year for the UFA seasons.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If there is any chance of signing Parayko to a long term deal rather than the usual (under Armstrong) bridge deal, it would make more sense that it be offered well into or even after next season. His body of work is too small to entertain that right now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If there is any chance of signing Parayko to a long term deal rather than the usual (under Armstrong) bridge deal, it would make more sense that it be offered well into or even after next season. His body of work is too small to entertain that right now.
I wouldn't hessitate. His hockey sense is too good for him to flame out

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I would sign him asap. The only factor that gives me some pause is whether receiving a larger contract so quickly might cause some trouble for him in the locker room (resentment?) but I guess that would be his decision to make (and these guys are professionals).

Not especially worried about his development b/c he does so many little things right already...and does them correctly with a quiet confidence while communicating so well on the ice (makes me think he is very smart, a sponge for learning and had some great coaching along the way).

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS

If I were Parayko/his agent, I'd slap someone in the face if they offered 3.75/per long term.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I wouldn't hessitate. His hockey sense is too good for him to flame out

Its just an unnecessary risk. There are guys who don't maintain their work ethic, etc. But I'd bet Parayko's character doesn't allow for anything like that. But if my job is to decide his next contract I'd rather have most of next year to observe.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I would sign him asap. The only factor that gives me some pause is whether receiving a larger contract so quickly might cause some trouble for him in the locker room (resentment?) but I guess that would be his decision to make (and these guys are professionals).

Not especially worried about his development b/c he does so many little things right already...and does them correctly with a quiet confidence while communicating so well on the ice (makes me think he is very smart, a sponge for learning and had some great coaching along the way).

Why rush though? No one else is going to sign him, and he's under contract for another season.

Just because we're thrilled with him doesn't mean his next contract has to be done early, even if its a long-term deal. Especially if its a long-term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad