GDT: Panthers @ Your New Jersey Devils - 7 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This is nuts. Do you really want Henrique, Zacha, or some other rookie eating all the minutes against top players? Zajac protects a lot of our weaker players by playing very difficult minutes.

They need to learn at some point. Secondly, I'd rather have more naturally offensive players in that slot.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This is nuts. Do you really want Henrique, Zacha, or some other rookie eating all the minutes against top players? Zajac protects a lot of our weaker players by playing very difficult minutes.

At this point I really do not care. This team needs to trade valuable players to get better for the future, not hold onto these players with some value just because a rookie or a coasting player would be taking over their minutes. The team sucks with them, might as well get some value from them and try to get better for the future.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Wait, Zajac is "incompatible with the system"? He's tied with Hall for the team lead in points and is on pace for 50 points and his best offensive season since 2010 lol.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They need to learn at some point. Secondly, I'd rather have more naturally offensive players in that slot.

The way you teach someone is to ease them in, not throw them into the fire to get torched by Crosby and Co. every night. I'd prefer Zajac was more offensive as well, but I have no interest in a one dimensional offensive player eating our defensive minutes. Look at all the recent Cup winners, they all had very good two way forwards eating big minutes.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wait, Zajac is "incompatible with the system"? He's tied with Hall for the team lead in points and is on pace for 50 points and his best offensive season since 2010 lol.

He's been one of our best forwards this season and one of the few vets who looks like he cares as well...

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Only because Hall missed 2 and a half weeks and because the rest of the team is flat out not playing well haha. Not really a good argument for that one.

I don't think he is incompatible, but he really isn't an offensive dynamo. average offensively above average defensively and way too overrated by Devils fans.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Zajac's points per 60 have remained relatively consistent throughout his entire career with the expectation of 1 bad season two years ago and 2 mega seasons driven by Parise.

2016-17 1.82
2015-16 1.21
2014-15 0.74
2013-14 1.52
2012-13 1.19
2011-12 1.11
2010-11 1.49
2009-10 1.94
2008-09 1.98
2007-08 1.01

Fair enough... but he hasn't scored 20 or more goals in a season since 2010, six/seven year ago. And he's been playing 20min + top PP unit almost all these seasons while also getting the best winger available on the roster. It seems clear that he declined as an offensive player, or at least he hasn't lived up to his contract that he signed based on his two good years with Parise.

Point is, do we really need a 40pt C making 6M (same cap hit as Hall)? We could always sign Mike Fisher or Hanzal as a UFA to replace Zajac until Zacha, McLeod and Quenneville are ready for more defensive assignments. Then use some money to sign Shattenkirk, Kulikov...

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Only because Hall missed 2 and a half weeks and because the rest of the team is flat out not playing well haha. Not really a good argument for that one.

I don't think he is incompatible, but he really isn't an offensive dynamo. average offensively above average defensively and way too overrated by Devils fans.

Playing 20 minutes a game in the most coveted slot on the team. BTW he hasn't scored in 19 games as well. He's been improved this year, but the fans are far too attached to him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Fair enough... but he hasn't scored 20 or more goals in a season since 2010, six/seven year ago. And he's been playing 20min + top PP unit almost all these seasons while also getting the best winger available on the roster. It seems clear that he declined as an offensive player, or at least he hasn't lived up to his contract that he signed based on his two good years with Parise.

Point is, do we really need a 40pt C making 6M (same cap hit as Hall)? We could always sign Mike Fisher or Hanzal as a UFA to replace Zajac until Zacha, McLeod and Quenneville are ready for more defensive assignments. Then use some money to sign Shattenkirk, Kulikov...

We could essentially sign Shattenkirk AND Kulikov to 7x$7 deals and still not even be close to the cap.... :laugh:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

We have a ton of cap space, why does this always get brought up as a reason? Zajac's contract is not detrimental to this team in any way.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Wouldn't you rather Zacha prove that he is absolutely ready and start to push Zajac down the line-up? To me, I'd rather keep guys like Greene and Zajac in their roles to protect the kids who aren't ready. Make the kids improve their games to the point where they are ready to play the role and ease the veteran players out of their roles.

That's how Parise earned his minutes. That's how Greene earned his minutes. That's how Zajac became our top center with Parise. That's how Gomez earned his spot on the Devils early in his career. Look at Rolston/Guerin/Niedermayer/etc. in the Devils first cup run. If you just throw kids into roles they aren't ready for and hope they can pull it off is where you get into the mess that Edmonton was before they lucked into McDavid.

Devils were successful for a long time by keeping the veterans until the kids made them expendable or pushed them into lower roles. Granted those veterans where better than Greene/Zajac, but I'd rather try to get back to that earn your minutes system we had.

At this point I really do not care. This team needs to trade valuable players to get better for the future, not hold onto these players with some value just because a rookie or a coasting player would be taking over their minutes. The team sucks with them, might as well get some value from them and try to get better for the future.

This mentality is what partially got us into this unstructured mess of a team we're seeing right now.

We let all the veteran walk that played a sound game. They sucked offensively and their best years were behind them, but they knew how to play their position and play well defensively. Now we're left with kids who clearly aren't ready and/or don't do the little things right to play structurally well and no veterans to play those minutes or to set the right example for the kids.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Our leading point scorer in his 31 "late 30s" age season is incompatible to our system. There are false narratives and then there is pure BS.

Leading point scorer because the younger top 6 guys were either missing games for 2 and a half weeks or not playing up to par. Zajac leading the team in points says more about how **** the team is playing than how good he is.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
We have a ton of cap space, why does this always get brought up as a reason? Zajac's contract is not detrimental to this team in any way.

And why are people so amendment about holding onto older players that have no future with this team when it finally gets into contention mode? Why not get something for them while they still hold some value?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And why are people so amendment about holding onto older players that have no future with this team when it finally gets into contention mode? Why not get something for them while they still hold some value?

so if Zajac is SOOOOO overrated (in your eyes), what the HELL do you think we're going to get in a trade for him? :laugh:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The problem that I see and don't know how to solve it is that players are playing at the wrong level. Zajac is a solid vet who would be a great third line center. Same with Greene, put him on a 2nd or 3rd pairing and he's probably a breath of fresh air. Unless the organization is ready for a complete rebuild and suffer another 3/4 years of being a lottery team. I don't know how u move Zajac or Greene. And really, how much value do they have including their contracts to other teams? I see us in limbo for now and just hope we get lucky in the next few drafts.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The problem that I see and don't know how to solve it is that players are playing at the wrong level. Zajac is a solid vet who would be a great third line center. Same with Greene, put him on a 2nd or 3rd pairing and he's probably a breath of fresh air. Unless the organization is ready for a complete rebuild and suffer another 3/4 years of being a lottery team. I don't know how u move Zajac or Greene. And really, how much value do they have including their contract to other teams? I see us in limbo for now and just hope we get lucky in the next few drafts.

You can move them if you eat some of their contract. Which isn't an issue since they have the cap space to do it.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

We could essentially sign Shattenkirk AND Kulikov to 7x$7 deals and still not even be close to the cap.... :laugh:

I don't necessary think that he should be brought out just for the sake of him being gone. I just think that the expansion draft might be the last chance of the Devils to move him without having any cap consequences (buyout).

Last edited:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Was going to bring this up.

Yeah.. some people really need to think before posting.

I stand by what I said. Zajac is not compatible with the fast supporting style that Shero wants to play. He doesn't process the game fast enough, especially being on the top line.In a perfect world, Hall could play with someone who has compatible instincts and playstyle. Zajac just slows him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad