GDT: Panthers @ Oilers - 2/12/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
McGinn's biggest weakness is that he's poor in the d-zone, loses his man and coverage too easily. It's not great that 2/3's of our 3rd line need to be sheltered. Mamin on the other hand, I don't think people have realised yet how high his hockey IQ is.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
McGinn's biggest weakness is that he's poor in the d-zone, loses his man and coverage too easily. It's not great that 2/3's of our 3rd line need to be sheltered. Mamin on the other hand, I don't think people have realised yet how high his hockey IQ is.

He has been great. Part of me wants to see how he would do with Barkov, Dadonov.

McGinn lacks the speed/awareness to use his strength effectively. He seems to be losing battles on the side boards, covering the point, on the forecheck because he can't get to the battle in time. He should be a 4th liner. He is overpaid for what he is.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I noticed a couple times he covered the pinching D and was almost the first man back a couple times. Hope the offense comes to breed some confidence for him, he brings a lot of what we need in the bottom 6. I'd like to see him shoot though. Swear he's only had like 1 or 2 shots in the 6-7 games he's played.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think McGinn has been better than McCann.

Still rather Bjugstad center the 3rd with McGinn and Brickley.

Mamin to Barkov's wing and scratch McCann.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Haley and Mckenzie are useless. I don't see Boughner moving on from Haley.

McGinn needs to be traded or bought out.

Malgin was fantastic last night. Nice pass off the backboards for the 1st PPG.
Agree.

Malgin has got some skill and nice patience and composure with the puck. Also pretty solid for a little guy.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
God save Boughner if he assigns Ekblad/Yandle to McDavid's line. Matheson should be on the ice every time McDavid is.

I realize Matheson has gotten walked a couple times this season, but he's the only guy on our team that can skate anywhere remotely close to McDavid's level.

I also hope Boughner has mercy on Ekblad. Ek actually looks to somewhat and I mean very slightly improvf his skating in season from where it was but he will get sizzled alive if he’s on the ice on every McDavid shift. MM should be out there because he has the only chance to even remotely keep up with the guy at top speed. That will be interesting to watch.

I'd say that was Yandle's best game ever in Panthers jersey. His two way game and transition game was on full display last night. He stopped McDavid dead in his tracks 3-4 times. He deserved a three star in that game.
That's about the best Yandle can play if you review game film on him, and I'm totally fine with that :)

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Oil Twitter on fire whining about the refs..no credit to Panthers who were very dangerous and executed great breakouts and speed game that Oil defense had trouble containing. Blamed refs and Talbot. That wasn't the full story. Far from it actually.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'd say that was Yandle's best game ever in Panthers jersey. His two way game and transition game was on full display last night. He stopped McDavid dead in his tracks 3-4 times. He deserved a three star in that game.
That's about the best Yandle can play if you review game film on him, and I'm totally fine with that :)

Yep

Consequently, one of Pysyk's worst.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I noticed a couple times he covered the pinching D and was almost the first man back a couple times. Hope the offense comes to breed some confidence for him, he brings a lot of what we need in the bottom 6. I'd like to see him shoot though. Swear he's only had like 1 or 2 shots in the 6-7 games he's played.
I've noticed this too and I think he's playing it safe a bit too much. He's got good wheels that he shouldn't overcompensate for the two Mc's this much.

I think McGinn has been better than McCann.

Still rather Bjugstad center the 3rd with McGinn and Brickley.

Mamin to Barkov's wing and scratch McCann.
I really hope Boughner considers this for next season. This season I can't see it happening, since they've been so married to the idea of having him as a winger. But now that he is playing better all-around (which was the main issue people had with him as a center), playing center could suit him better.

We can't exactly afford a good free agent 3C either, not that there's many on the market anyway.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Haley and Mckenzie are useless. I don't see Boughner moving on from Haley.

McGinn needs to be traded or bought out.

Malgin was fantastic last night. Nice pass off the backboards for the 1st PPG.

Why buy out a serviceable player to free a roster spot when you can just non-tenure McCann (or ensure his next deal is a 2-way) to save the same amount and free a roster spot? Unless you want multiple spots freed...

Reactions: I am not exposed

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Oil Twitter on fire whining about the refs..no credit to Panthers who were very dangerous and executed great breakouts and speed game that Oil defense had trouble containing. Blamed refs and Talbot. That wasn't the full story. Far from it actually.

Heck of a game. And the Oilers don't have a leg to stand on. I understand they're unhappy about the special teams situation, but had they played any amount of decent PK, they could have easily won this game. I mean they scored 5 times without a PP and still lose. The Panthers only had 4 PPs, yet scored 3 freaking times. As lopsided as the calls may have been, you should never lose a game where you score 5 goals. Their defense and goaltending was pathetic (at least far more than ours). Plus, at least we can attribute Reimer's goaltending to being rusty with this being his first start in weeks.

And of course, way to go TroTrick!

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Watching this team is pretty frustrating. Knowing how good they could be with just a few additions. Knowing this would the absolute prime time to do that, with key players locked up to cheap contracts. There's so much talent there... just need to add few crucial pieces.

Haley and Mackenzie are useless but they are also cheap and can be in that 12th-14th forward role. McGinn buyout could be happening this summer. It would save ~2M next year which could be useful.

But 2 things need to happen:

1) they need to add one solid, reliable top 4 defenseman who is very good defensively, pushing Pysyk to 3rd pairing with McCoshen/Weegar. This is the most important thing because there is nothing in the system. How can this be accomplished? What players could be available? I don't know, but finding a player like that is absolutely crucial for this team to transform into a consistent playoff team. Maybe Winnipeg can't sign Trouba and will trade him? Maybe Columbus moves on from Murray, or shakes things up by trading Savard? Oilers could do shakeup too and trade Klefbom/Larsson? Ceci? Maybe De Haan goes UFA? There are options.

2) they need to find two legit top 6 wingers somewhere. In a perfect world two of Borgstrom/Tippett/Mascherin could be that next year already, but that's highly unlikely. The question is are you willing sacrifice one more should-be-in-the-playoffs-season to developing these players, with no guarantee they will reach that level the year after either (or ever, really, Borgstrom could be the next Bjugstad too, you never know). Or would you be proactive and make a move to add one legit top 6 winger, and hope maybe one of the young guys is the other one.

Trade chips would be: 1st rounder this summer, Petrovic, and four forward prospects (Borgstrom/Tippett/Mascherin/Heponiemi).

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Watching this team is pretty frustrating. Knowing how good they could be with just a few additions. Knowing this would the absolute prime time to do that, with key players locked up to cheap contracts. There's so much talent there... just need to add few crucial pieces.

Haley and Mackenzie are useless but they are also cheap and can be in that 12th-14th forward role. McGinn buyout could be happening this summer. It would save ~2M next year which could be useful.

But 2 things need to happen:

1) they need to add one solid, reliable top 4 defenseman who is very good defensively, pushing Pysyk to 3rd pairing with McCoshen/Weegar. This is the most important thing because there is nothing in the system. How can this be accomplished? What players could be available? I don't know, but finding a player like that is absolutely crucial for this team to transform into a consistent playoff team. Maybe Winnipeg can't sign Trouba and will trade him? Maybe Columbus moves on from Murray, or shakes things up by trading Savard? Oilers could do shakeup too and trade Klefbom/Larsson? Ceci? Maybe De Haan goes UFA? There are options.

2) they need to find two legit top 6 wingers somewhere. In a perfect world two of Borgstrom/Tippett/Mascherin could be that next year already, but that's highly unlikely. The question is are you willing sacrifice one more should-be-in-the-playoffs-season to developing these players, with no guarantee they will reach that level the year after either (or ever, really, Borgstrom could be the next Bjugstad too, you never know). Or would you be proactive and make a move to add one legit top 6 winger, and hope maybe one of the young guys is the other one.

Trade chips would be: 1st rounder this summer, Petrovic, and four forward prospects (Borgstrom/Tippett/Mascherin/Heponiemi).
This team isn't far off but can the prospects like Borg and Tippet produce enough offense? Personally I think Borg will produce at the NHL immediately, Tippet, I'm not so sure. How long will it take for them to get up to speed. Once again we may roll the dice with young talent to fill in area of need. Need a proven top 6 guy, proven top 4 guy and then pray goaltending holds up next season.

I would not trade Borg or Hepo. I would be open to trading Tippet, Mascherin, and or our first round pick for immediate help.

Last edited:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
3rd pair D and Pysyk were not good last night.

I thought Khaira was really solid. I wonder how high Edmonton fans rate him.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Doesn't Borgstrom still have years left at Denver?

Yeah but he is NHL ready.

As in schooling?
Because there's not much if any left to prove on the ice for him at Denver. I'd be severely upset if he decided to stay another year and not turn pro.

Isn't it basically a foregone conclusion that he's making the jump for next season? I thought this past off-season there was even speculation that he was considering leaving Denver? Anyway, I think it'll be surprising at this point if he doesn't sign and make the transition. Also, he should be eligible for the AHL as well, no?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
As in schooling?
Because there's not much if any left to prove on the ice for him at Denver. I'd be severely upset if he decided to stay another year and not turn pro.

I would be surprised if he doesn't sign this offseason.

Although he is a sophomore, so it wouldn't be like he could bounce in 2019 if still unsigned.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Heck of a game. And the Oilers don't have a leg to stand on. I understand they're unhappy about the special teams situation, but had they played any amount of decent PK, they could have easily won this game. I mean they scored 5 times without a PP and still lose. The Panthers only had 4 PPs, yet scored 3 freaking times. As lopsided as the calls may have been, you should never lose a game where you score 5 goals. Their defense and goaltending was pathetic (at least far more than ours). Plus, at least we can attribute Reimer's goaltending to being rusty with this being his first start in weeks.

And of course, way to go TroTrick!
Yeah, it was a heck of a game if you like watching forwards for both teams leaving the defensive zone early and hanging their D and goaltender's out to dry. Couple that with some poor decisions by the D on both sides as they challenged at the blue line and lost. The Oilers/Cats are two very similar teams except for McDavid. Chiarelli and Tallon are two peas in a pod as GM's. For every step their teams take forward they do something stoopid to set them back two steps.

Bobby Boo luvs the run n gun because it's the only way the team can score more than 1 or 2 goals with the present roster. The smarter more balanced teams with solid D and goaltending will just sit back and wait for them to make a mistake and then counter. I'd be surprised if any playoff contender would be interested in anything we are offering at the TDL. Viola will just need to be patient for a few more years unless we get lucky with Borgstrom or other draftees that surprise next season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad