Post-Game Talk: Panthers lose again but clinch playoff spot for 5th straight season

Preferred first round opponent?

• Tampa

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Toronto

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
another good thing, despite all those powerplays we never gave up a ppg, and i think we were on a streak of giving up at least one. Course technically the islanders werent super desperate on the 4min one, just killing clock, but still nice.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
jbwblcoqsarc1.png

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
that's not mental, imo.

the OZ forecheck is the culmination of everything that happens before - transition with speed and numbers. if you don't have that, it's impossible to forecheck aggressively. what we've seen is weak, sparse forechecking that's easily beaten. that's why we're not generating shots. xG last night 5v5 was 1.5!

I would be upset right now. not panicked, but feeling some urgency. we need to be in rhythm before game 1 of the playoffs.
Of course - but the stuff leading up to a sucky forecheck is mental IMO - they know what it takes, the question is, why aren’t they doing it?
1) fatigue
2) mental checkout
3) boredom
4) injury avoidance
5) something else like the other teams have caught up and figured out how we play by doing enough forecheck and neutral zone trap themselves

Still, they have the ability, overall stamina, and experience to do it… that’s why I think it’s mental.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Of course - but the stuff leading up to a sucky forecheck is mental IMO - they know what it takes, the question is, why aren’t they doing it?
1) fatigue
2) mental checkout
3) boredom
4) injury avoidance
5) something else like the other teams have caught up and figured out how we play by doing enough forecheck and neutral zone trap themselves

Still, they have the ability, overall stamina, and experience to do it… that’s why I think it’s mental.

Obesity per Maurice.

He was quoted saying Obesity

• Haha
Reactions: zeroG and KW

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I think it’s mostly intentional. I know no one likes to see us go 3-7 since the deadline but I saw what they’re capable of switching back to during the bruins game. Even then, that wasn’t a playoff game. They were dead by the time they made the final and they’ve essentially had a playoff spot wrapped up for a while now. I think they’re more concerned with avoiding injuries and retaining energy if they can help it. I mean, I continue to have absolutely zero expectations when the playoffs role around. There’s so much randomness and plenty of good teams that literally anything can happen. The last couple years really taught me that. But I still have faith that they can play the way they need to when the time comes. I’m not concerning myself too much with these last several games. Not to mention the last couple seconds of that flyers game and some weird bounces in the bruins game, we’re bot far off from at least being a .500 team since the deadline if some of that stuff doesn’t happen. Which again, I don’t think is indicative of their play.

Separately, I actually was curious to have tank on the right side with Barkov and erod with Reinhart back on the 3rd since he has continuity there. However, I would still prefer to swap reino and tank. I like having the two smartest players together on the top line where you can deploy them against the other teams best and then let tank, who’s a large build, play on the 3rd with another fairly big guy who works the boards well in Loustarinen. I’m hoping they switch here soon and let them gain some chemistry heading into the playoffs

Reactions: BabyBennettov

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
1) fatigue
2) mental checkout
3) boredom
4) injury avoidance

6) None of the above

I think it's rhythm and chemistry. and that what's scary.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I think it’s mostly intentional. I know no one likes to see us go 3-7 since the deadline but I saw what they’re capable of switching back to during the bruins game. Even then, that wasn’t a playoff game. They were dead by the time they made the final and they’ve essentially had a playoff spot wrapped up for a while now. I think they’re more concerned with avoiding injuries and retaining energy if they can help it. I mean, I continue to have absolutely zero expectations when the playoffs role around. There’s so much randomness and plenty of good teams that literally anything can happen. The last couple years really taught me that. But I still have faith that they can play the way they need to when the time comes. I’m not concerning myself too much with these last several games. Not to mention the last couple seconds of that flyers game and some weird bounces in the bruins game, we’re bot far off from at least being a .500 team since the deadline if some of that stuff doesn’t happen. Which again, I don’t think is indicative of their play.

Separately, I actually was curious to have tank on the right side with Barkov and erod with Reinhart back on the 3rd since he has continuity there. However, I would still prefer to swap reino and tank. I like having the two smartest players together on the top line where you can deploy them against the other teams best and then let tank, who’s a large build, play on the 3rd with another fairly big guy who works the boards well in Loustarinen. I’m hoping they switch here soon and let them gain some chemistry heading into the playoffs

Agree. This a mature team now. They’ve learned how to win in the playoffs and what it takes. They’ll be able to turn into playoffs mode when it will matter. If they were a young team, it would be way more concerning.

I still have a concern with our 3rd line though. Depth is one of the keys to playoffs success. And having a passenger like Lundell centering that 3rd line could become a serious issue.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Agree. This a mature team now. They’ve learned how to win in the playoffs and what it takes. They’ll be able to turn into playoffs mode when it will matter. If they were a young team, it would be way more concerning.

I still have a concern with our 3rd line though. Depth is one of the keys to playoffs success. And having a passenger like Lundell centering that 3rd line could become a serious issue.
I have the same concerns and that’s why I don’t assume Stanley cup or bust like some online like to project out there. I don’t worry too much about our top end talent. We’ll win and only win if the depth contributes and not just as passengers who aren’t bad but don’t score. They need to do some scoring. I don’t mind Erod as the 3rd wheel on a line, and while his scoring has been a bit concerning this year I ultimately like the other things lusotarinen brings and don’t mind him as the 3rd wheel on the 3rd line. But having him and Lundell together is killer and not in a good way. Whether it’s Reinhart or Tarasenko I don’t think it’s enough. It’s the thing that worries me the most. I also would’ve like a good 3rd option on the 4th. Luostarinen came up huge with that go ahead goal in game 6 against Boston but overall the depth of our offense scares me. That’s why I really wish cousins works on the 2nd because it allows us to distribute even more talent amongst the lineup.

Reactions: Idiot Stick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad