Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ Leafs : Round 2 Game 5

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Philosophical question. Are we a team that is down 3-1 in a series?

Or are we playing a 3-0 series where a comeback attempt is being attempted?

Mind games, but they feel like two different things.
The Leafs are down 3-1 in the series. They were down 3-0, if they win game 5 it will be a 3-2 series. How is this philosophical? The situation is dynamic.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
you know the best part of Game 4?

there wasn't one and I mean even "ONE" cutezy/fancy BS play by marner or matthews

Marner had a great spin-o-rama pass that created a great scoring chance for Matthews.

On the Steve Dangle podcast Adam Wylde brought up that Lafferty led the league in PK goals when we traded for him and we never put him on the PK after acquiring him :laugh: #justkeefethings Instead we put more minutes on Marner and ROR..

Ah yes, goal scoring... the number 1 skill you are looking for on the PK. Adam Wylde knows less than nothing about hockey.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Take this to Game 7 and win it LEAFS.

Carolina will be rusty and over rested by the time we play them. Ready to be taken advantage of.

We match up better against Carolina than New Jersey, I hate how we looked against them, despite our wins. they were too f***ing fast.

COME ON LEAFS. f***

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Bud I am off to a Scout camp with my son tomorrow evening, it’s killing me.. he is just barely winning out over the Leafs lol..

Hopefully I can stream it or there’s always Bowen on the radio but darn it all..
If I was the one that bought the tickets we wouldn’t be going lol

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Marner had a great spin-o-rama pass that created a great scoring chance for Matthews.

Ah yes, goal scoring... the number 1 skill you are looking for on the PK. Adam Wylde knows less than nothing about hockey.
I'm sure Edmonton has McDavid on their PK for his great defensive play and amazing faceoff abilities.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

What a stupid take lol. The point isn't even about scoring goals it's that he has skills that suit the PK well. Use that galaxy brain better next time.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Take this to Game 7 and win it LEAFS.

Carolina will be rusty and over rested by the time we play them. Ready to be taken advantage of.

We match up better against Carolina than New Jersey, I hate how we looked against them, despite our wins. they were too f***ing fast.

COME ON LEAFS. f***

lol lighting up freddie would be so fun

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
The keys to tomorrow's game are:

1. Play tight defence: While Woll was solid, he was rarely tested. By keeping Florida to the outside, and tightening in our own end, they had 0 grade A chances. We must bring the same mentality, and limit giveaways.

2. Shoot more pucks towards the net: Bobrovsky has been great, but last game showed that putting the puck to net can often convert to lucky rebounds and better yet goals. I'd like to see us to shoot more pucks towards the net rather than some of these fancy passes. A hard shot far pad can lead to garbage goals. We don't get style points for pretty goals.
I agree, well said

Florida has come up with an effective game plan that has us on the brink-I can see why Maurice is known as a deep thinker.

He has them on a defensive swarm around the slot whenever the Leafs threaten, nothing gets through, whether it’s a blocked shot or a stick check, body slam. And if we do get through, then there is Bobrovsky. Add to that their ferocious forechecking and we are out schooled, doesn’t matter that we are more talented. And I believe the Leafs sense the fact that the playbook of Florida is superior.

This wall is why we can’t get more than the odd goal-like you said, our only hope is traffic, deflections. It isn’t because our big four aren’t trying or don’t care (how ridiculous).

I believe in the face of this superior template that the Leafs know their only hope is the defensive shell they played in game 4, that slugging out more 2-1 victories is their only hope. To be the offensive juggernaut they supposedly are would be their undoing.

It’s not a lack of skill, of caring, of grit-I believe it’s an opponent that has figured us out, and the adjustment we saw is our only “boring hope”. And I think it’s a godsend that Woll is in net now-not because he’s better than Samsonov, but because the very fact he is there as a rookie will bring out that protective cocoon his teammates want to wrap around him, and inadvertently be the only way to have a hope of beating this fierce opponent

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hopefully I can stream it or there’s always Bowen on the radio but darn it all..
I have some great memories with my Dad listening to Bowen call key moments on the radio.

I also remember driving with my girls listening to playoff hockey while they cheered from the car seats.

So not all bad

Reactions: Rude Dog

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

You're not wrong, they are two different things, even though 3-1 is 3-1.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I agree, well said

Florida has come up with an effective game plan that has us on the brink-I can see why Maurice is known as a deep thinker.

He has them on a defensive swarm around the slot whenever the Leafs threaten, nothing gets through, whether it’s a blocked shot or a stick check, body slam. And if we do get through, then there is Bobrovsky. Add to that their ferocious forechecking and we are out schooled, doesn’t matter that we are more talented. And I believe the Leafs sense the fact that the playbook of Florida is superior.

This wall is why we can’t get more than the odd goal-like you said, our only hope is traffic, deflections. It isn’t because our big four aren’t trying or don’t care (how ridiculous).

I believe in the face of this superior template that the Leafs know their only hope is the defensive shell they played in game 4, that slugging out more 2-1 victories is their only hope. To be the offensive juggernaut they supposedly are would be their undoing.

It’s not a lack of skill, of caring, of grit-I believe it’s an opponent that has figured us out, and the adjustment we saw is our only “boring hope”. And I think it’s a godsend that Woll is in net now-not because he’s better than Samsonov, but because the very fact he is there as a rookie will bring out that protective cocoon his teammates want to wrap around him, and inadvertently be the only way to have a hope of beating this fierce opponent
I don't think their defensive swarm is unbendable though. They've been prone to mistakes all season. If we forecheck hard they'll make mistakes. We must get as much on target as possible again. Shoot the puck far pad for a rebound or blocker side which is bob's weakness.

While I think Florida's forechecking is a problem, we gotta learn to make smart safe plays. Play it off the boards if you have to. Defensively, keep them to the outside, and they can't get high danger chances.

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Unfortunately it is still a 3-0 because that’s were the comeback started so all odd’s are calculated from there

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Unfortunately it is still a 3-0 because that’s were the comeback started so all odd’s are calculated from there

Odds go by where the series currently stands. It's 3-1, so the odds are based on our chances of winning the next 3 games, and then 2 if we win the next one.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I have some great memories with my Dad listening to Bowen call key moments on the radio.

I also remember driving with my girls listening to playoff hockey while they cheered from the car seats.

So not all bad
Nah, it the grand scheme of things eventually I’ll be glad I was wirh my kid at a thing he is excited for and whatever happens tomorrow will be a side note.

Just not tomorrow lol.. they gotta hold home court here and give me game 6 Sunday.

Reactions: Gallagbi

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I was pissed off AF when they were down 3-0. Absolutely disgusted with the team and despised them

They win game 4, great. I'm reading all the comments here with all these fools being optimistic about us coming back from down 3-0 and it's also slowly making me a foolish Be-Leafer again

This team literally abuses our emotions

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I was pissed off AF when they were down 3-0. Absolutely disgusted with the team and despised them

They win game 4, great. I'm reading all the comments here with all these fools being optimistic about us coming back from down 3-0 and it's also slowly making me a foolish Be-Leafer again

I've said it a million times. Being a Leaf fan is like being in an abusive relationship, constantly thinking things are going to change and before you know it you're dodging lefts and rights and wondering what you ever saw in them...until the next time....and the next...and the next.

Reactions: authentic

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

In the span of one day we have convinced ourselves the reverse sweep is officially on.

Nay, is likely to happen at this point. This from the depths of despair. You can't make this stuff up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad