GDT: Panthers@Leafs 7:30 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
We have 97 points. What does 90 points have to do with anything?

Stuff like this:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/making-the-playoffs-with-under-90-points.2430625/

Post from early January:

Was looking at some sites and doing some quick math and based on how bad the Atlantic is this year the Leafs magic number to clinch a playoff spot could indeed be 88 points(60 percent chance their in) while 90 points up's that to 80 percent. Pretty much means the Leafs can play .500 hockey the rest of the way and still get the 3rd seed in the Atlantic. Should make some breathe easier out here.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Florida is one of the hottest teams in the league right now so let’s get this win please

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
You know Florida is going to come out flying they got lots to play for. Whether or not we can match their intensity and work ethic remains to be seen.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
do we clinch today?

Not quite. If we win in regulation tonight we would have 99 points. and 39 ROW. Philly and New Jersey could still get 100 points, Florida could still get 99 points and potentially beat us in ROW, they have 36 ROW right now and would have 7 games left to get 40 ROW.

If we win in OT we would have 99 and Florida could get 100.

I win would basically ensure a spot though as all of Philly, New Jersey and Florida would have to run the table for us to not make it (AND we would have to lose out as well).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not quite. If we win in regulation tonight we would have 99 points. and 39 ROW. Philly and New Jersey could still get 100 points, Florida could still get 99 points and potentially beat us in ROW, they have 36 ROW right now and would have 7 games left to get 40 ROW.

If we win in OT we would have 99 and Florida could get 100.

I win would basically ensure a spot though as all of Philly, New Jersey and Florida would have to run the table for us to not make it (AND we would have to lose out as well).

thanks.
also. damnit :(

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No team with 97 points has ever missed the playoffs in NHL history. It's not going to happen now even if the Leafs somehow managed to go pointless the rest of the regular season.

This game is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I don't see the Leafs winning this one though, Florida will have more urgency and come out harder than the Leafs.

Reactions: PuckMagi

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Apparently, we clinch a playoff spot with a win and a Philly regulation loss. Just a playoff spot as theoretically Florida could still pass us and we would drop into the wild card.
Good chance Philly loses too. Back to back games and they're playing the Avs.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
yes. Frankly I don't see how this is significantly less impressive than anything Eichel has done in his career. No use pretending they aren't on a comparable level going forward
I take Marner, because he makes people better around him, and is better in the room.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'm going with the Leafs in this game. I see Auston returning back to form in this game, scoring at least a goal to get #30.

Andersen rebounds well after a loss as well.

4-2 Final.

GWG: Nylander

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Feel like this is going to be a tough game. Hoping the Leafs can find the motivation for this one.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
No team with 97 points has ever missed the playoffs in NHL history. It's not going to happen now even if the Leafs somehow managed to go pointless the rest of the regular season.

This game is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Although the bolded may technically be true, and although I agree that the Leafs will almost certainly make the playoffs this year, I note that a team in the Eastern Conference with 97 points at the end of 2014-15 regular season would not have made the playoffs (the cutoff that year was 98).

In my opinion, all of the remaining games are significant, and remain especially so until the Leafs have clinched.

Reactions: emilepep

member 262271

Panthers need this one big time and will come hungry. If Bobby Lou is on his game, it might be a repeat of Saturday night.
This. Granted he's no Chad Johnson (whyyy is that a thing!?) but Lu plays great against the Leafs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
please win in regulation.
Philly i like you but please lose in regulation, damnit

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
Asking anyone if they are worried about Florida should ask a member of the 1964 Phillies who had a 6 1/2 game lead in the National League with 2 weeks to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad